• DSCN0010.JPG
    DSCN0010.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 598
OP
OP
D

Dig-m-Deep

Jul 18, 2011
I sent a couple pis and some info to the Museum of natural history in Houston, explaining it was carved stone and the info the lady gave me I bought it from.... Here is their reply..

The image has Christian iconography.

Then we have three items to work with:

Africa
End of WWII
American individual

One could very cautiously suggest that:

Africa may mean Morocco , Algeria or Tunisia. This is where US troops fought during WWII
The Christian iconography may be related to Christian presence in that area
This might mean pre-dating the arrival of Islam in that region ? i.e. before the middle of the 7th century AD (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/tsis/hd_tsis.htm)
This could make it either Roman era or Byzantine era.
Alternatively we are looking at an object made in the mid-20th century.

This is all just a guess, based on the additional information provided.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
To start off, I know nothing of this item. Something I find interesting is that the image on front has open hands (peace) but the image on the rear has a sword and maybe a scroll. Like talk gently but carry a big stick.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Interesting. I’m pretty sure this is a Coptic Christian carving and likely from Egypt, Sudan or Ethiopia. These are usually carved in ‘black stone’ as devotional items with depictions of saints or Madonna & child and other Christian iconography. No easy way to put a date to it (especially not just from photographs), but it could be anything from ancient to ‘tourist-ware’ from the beginning of the 20th century .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread