A Good Weekend So Far

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Hello all. CyberDan was good enough to call and inquire how my family and I had weathered Irene and we chatted a while about our mutual finds this weekend and I decided to share a few of the highlights on here, brag a bit I guess. Last night, at one of those estate sales where stuff is continuously brought out of the deceased house throughout the weekend, (am I the only one who feels compelled to return 3 times during the weekend? LOL) My wife found an SX-70 land camera that I will be posting on Ebay later on tonight or tomorrow. And I found a Civil War book from 1912 along with a record album I had never seen before with cartoon like images on the record. It is scratched and I have no intention of ever playing the music, but because I had never seen one like it I bought it for a conversation piece. My wife and daughter got some girlie doo-dads and the total charge was $10. Today I sold the Civil War paperback book for $10. So I am in the free and clear already with the SX-70 still in hand to be listed. Today I was able to buy a professionally framed and matted print of a local, now long gone railroad and engine for just $5. I probably gave it away, but later this afternoon I sold it to a railroad collector for $15 and was happy and so was he, knowing the framing alone was worth 3 times what I asked. Later I bought a '60's metal Tonka Jeep. It was missing a couple of parts and though I might have been able to get more on Ebay, I was glad to get $35 dollars for it a couple of hours after buying it for $15. My wife and I also at one lawn sale found 7 children's earrings marked 14K gold, they only melt out for $35, but cost us all of 40 cents. Later at another sale I bought a big storage tub of Lincoln Logs for $5. They aren't in the original containers, but for $5, my 6 yr old daughter will get my money's worth out of them til our next lawn sale. I also bought a pair of sterling candlesticks for $10 on another lawn sale. I was going to Ebay them, but when I got home, on closer inspection, they seemed a bit banged up, so I tore them down and they weighed out to 38 plus grams of sterling, over $44 dollars worth even after ARA gets their cut. Well, that is enough of my bragging, came home with $28 more dollars than I started the day with and still have the SX-70 to Ebay and over $80 in silver and gold melt to send in, plus the Lincoln Logs. Oh, and I almost forgot, my wife found a 10K bracelet in a public restroom we stopped at while driving around. Melt value of $98. Once again, I think I am going to have to keep her. I hope you all had as good if not better weekend.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyberdan's a good guy. Nice finds you got there, thanks for sharing. I love all Railroad stuff. I've found several SX-70's so far and they always do well. I haven't found one that actually works yet but even the broken ones (for parts) sell for $40-50. One of the most common problems seems to be a broken film door latch. That was the problem with the first 2 I found. I have one now that has a good door latch but the leather covering is shot on it, so it makes it look extremely ugly. I'm just gonna remove it completely before I sell it (for parts). I paid a whopping $1 for it and a pack of film to go with it. I found that last weekend, but I found a bunch of great stuff this weekend. My spare bedroom now looks like an official hoarders house. lol. I've been busy at work lately so I figure i'll wait until it slows down before listing things for sale on fleabay. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Thanks for the kind words and replies, guys. I appreciate it. Today, I had told the wife I wouldn't push it and that I was happy with Friday and Sat.'s haul and I wouldn't force her to go picking, but she said she wanted to do it, so out we went. Had another good day. Went back and got another professionally framed print of a local landmark at the lawn sale where I got the railroad one yesterday. She charged me only $3 for this one. She also talked me into buying 3 Quoizel hurricane lamps. I searched Ebay's completed auctions and it seems they go for more than $50 to $100 a piece and I got the 3 for $50. If anyone can give me more info on these, I would appreciate the help. The worse thing is, I don't want them, but am not sure where to turn them over. Probably mistake number one by a novice picker. I didn't know enough about my subject. The rest of the day was more in my comfort zone: bought a .925 candlestick for a dollar (will melt out for over $30 even after fees), 2 very old antique compasses for a dollar each, and an industrial/architect's lamp for another dollar all at the same sale. At another I bought a Cross pen and pencil set, still in the box with the guarantee in it as well for $3. The guy at the sale made a face at my offer, but he took it. The same set seems to Ebay for 25-30 dollars. The only other thing I bought today was a 50's to '60's, GE blender. It is a beast, only 2 speeds, but they both work, it is heavy, the base is chrome and the pitcher is real glass. I think it would go great in a bar/pool room, or a man cave or a 50's themed game room. I was thinking like Famous Turtle when I grabbed this for $3. Wish me luck if you read this Turtle. LOL From reading the posts on here tonight, I think you all had as good if not better day and that is the way it should be, this is a great little community on here and I thank you all for what I have picked up on what to look for from this forum.

T.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you found some great stuff. That pitcher wouldn't happen to look like a beehive would it? Either way, you don't need luck, you just need the right keywords! Anything that has to do with bars or games I hold dear to my heart. I hope you do well. I hit the mother load of video games this weekend. I'll be posting a video of everything I found tomorrow.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Open it up an look at the front if it has ALPHA it is worth alot more then the reg SX-70.. I sold a Alpha in unknown working condition for over 100.00

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Quoizel

Yeah, you need to figure out the photo posting thing. We want photos! :laughing7: If they are from the Abigail Adams collection they are more desirable, if you include those words in the listing you'll get more. The height makes a difference too, the taller the more money. Check the bottom of the base for the model and date.

abigail_adams_hurricane_lamps.jpg

Quoizel Lighting Company History
Quoizel Lighting is one of the nation's leading designers and distributors of decorative home lighting, and offers a diverse selection of timeless designs including one of the broadest selections of Tiffany style lighting available. Quoizel Lighting offers beautiful lighting solutions for all areas of the home, in hundreds of styles crafted from only the finest materials.

Founded in 1930 in New York, Quoizel Lighting began as a small business with a limited product line. In 1964 Ira Phillips joined the company. During the next 40 years he led it through extraordinary growth by expanding the product mix and providing innovative merchandising strategies to retailers. Phillips acquired full ownership in 1986, and in 1996 he relocated Quoizel's corporate headquarters to Charleston, SC, where it now operates from a state-of-the art, 500,000 square-foot facility. Today, Quoizel Lighting remains a privately held, family-owned and operated business offering more than 2,000 items in its full-line catalog. Quoizel Lighting has hundreds employees between 3 locations in South Carolina, New York and China, along with 2 distribution centers.

Quoizel's extraordinary success is a story that resonates beyond the lighting industry. Quoizel Lighting has been featured in stories by Fortune Magazine, BusinessWeek, Cable News Network and CNN's Financial Network. Quoizel Lighting focus on creating timeless designs that offer lasting beauty. They know the importance of building enduring friendships with the consumers who enjoy their products. Quoizel's mission of “creating a beautiful lighting experience” is held in mind with everything they do

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Creeper, it doesn't say "alpha", but it is the cleanest and least marked up of the three SX-70's I have found. Thanks for the info, I will remember to look for that in the future. Famous, I think you know the model I am talking about of the blender. I wouldn't have thought of the beehive look, but it isn't round, I would have just said oval. Man cave, game room and 50's will all be in my subject line. And Diggummup, you posted the exact pattern and lamps I have, two are quite large, I didn't measure them and I haven't unpacked them from their ride home and put them back together yet, but when I do I will let you know the measurement. The 3rd is smaller and has a wood, not brass base. It won't be worth as much. I do know that they say Quoizel on the bottom and 1973 and they are the Abigail Adams pattern. I did offer they lady $40, but she wouldn't take it. That made me believe they worth at least the $50. I have a lead this morning on a coin collection, then plan on spending the rest of the day with my family. Tomorrow my daughter goes back to school and my schedule tightens up as I can't go get her anytime I want, or have her all day, I have to wait til school gets out at 3:00 and two weeks a month I have to go to work at 4:00. So, I don't see her much those days, just that hour. Again, thank you for all the info, guys. You have helped someone you don't even know do a little better in life.

T.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Diggummup, the 2 biggest of the lamps are 20 inches high, give or take, not sure if that qualifies as the 21 inch or not. Do they measure lamps like they measure tv screens? The 3rd is 17 1/2 inches high. There is a completed auction of one just like the two larger ones that sold for over $108. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Quo.../220838555216?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item336b00ee50

Mine do say Quoizel 1973 and 3 1/4 on the bottom. What do you think? Thanks again for any help.

T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CladSpends2 said:
Diggummup, the 2 biggest of the lamps are 20 inches high, give or take, not sure if that qualifies as the 21 inch or not. Do they measure lamps like they measure tv screens? The 3rd is 17 1/2 inches high. There is a completed auction of one just like the two larger ones that sold for over $108. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Quo.../220838555216?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item336b00ee50

Mine do say Quoizel 1973 and 3 1/4 on the bottom. What do you think? Thanks again for any help.

T.
The model you have is the AB701A which is the 20" (smallest) model. The seller of the one on Ebay is incorrect on his measurment. The other 2 sizes are 24" (AB702A) and 28"(AB703A). The shade is handblown. You say the third has a wood base and is only 17 1/2" tall? And it has an Abigail Adams shade? If so then it's a marriage. In other words they added the shade to a different style lampbase. I'm interested what the base looks like, or actually the whole thing.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Diggummup, I will try and take some pics and post today. I have tried to post pics many times, but have been unsuccesful. Thank you for the info and help. My wife suspected the smaller one was just what you confirmed. I think I am going to try and CL the lamps, sell them locally so I don't have to deal with shipping. If my pics won't load here I will post the link to the CL posting. What would you suggest is a good CL asking price? Hope everyone has a great week with their auctions.

T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CladSpends2 said:
Diggummup, I will try and take some pics and post today. I have tried to post pics many times, but have been unsuccesful. Thank you for the info and help. My wife suspected the smaller one was just what you confirmed. I think I am going to try and CL the lamps, sell them locally so I don't have to deal with shipping. If my pics won't load here I will post the link to the CL posting. What would you suggest is a good CL asking price? Hope everyone has a great week with their auctions.

T.
Since there is no shipping involved I wouldn't take less than $125 each. That's about what someone would have to pay on Ebay with the shipping. But then if someone offered me $90 i'd probably take it because i'm a lousy salesperson, that's why I prefer Ebay. :laughing7:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
CladSpends2 said:

T.
your pics are probly to big.. you'll need to down ssize them to 700x

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Hi all,

Can you tell me how to downsize the pics? I will try again this afternoon to post some. The good news is my SX-70 just sold, only listed it last night for 59.99, buy it now. I am going to list the GE Blender this afternoon and then try pics of the Quoizel lamps if there is time before I go get my daughter from school. Thanks again for all the replies, the help and the interest. I just wish there were yard sales on a Tues. LOL

T.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Diggummup,

If it loads, this is a pic of the 3 lamps I have. Thanks for looking and all your help so far.

T.

Attachments

• Blender 009.jpg
    Blender 009.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 419

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
CladSpends2 said:
Hi all,

Can you tell me how to downsize the pics? I will try again this afternoon to post some. The good news is my SX-70 just sold, only listed it last night for 59.99, buy it now. I am going to list the GE Blender this afternoon and then try pics of the Quoizel lamps if there is time before I go get my daughter from school. Thanks again for all the replies, the help and the interest. I just wish there were yard sales on a Tues. LOL

T.
it was probly worth more then 60.00

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Maybe, but that's ok, I made 10 times my money and I never look back. That sort of thing and worrying if you got every penny will drive a guy insane. Plus this way, I am rotating and growing my money base that much faster, now I can buy 10 more $5 items and list them next week without taking a penny out of my families budget and if they go for 10 times the money........................

T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread