Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was an odd ball item that I wasn't even really sure if it was a collectible. My sister actually found this in the bottom of a box of stuff she got at a garage sale for 50 cents.
I did some research on google and found out these things are called "oily jigglers". Did a completed search on eBay and saw that they were selling for a pretty good price. I listed it as an auction yesterday, starting it at $9.99, and within 20 minutes had a guy contact me with a "Buy It Now" offer of $150.00! So I accepted and he paid instantly! That was the fastest sale I have ever made! :hello2:

Here's the eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150661751969?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

**Be on the lookout for the older jigglers---ones made by Russ & Wallace Berrie seem to be the most collectible ones--these are called "Untouchables". There were three other ones similar to the one I sold and the completed sales on those were $152 & $200.**

Attachments

• IMG_1435 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_1435 (650x433).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 839
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Very nice! Something else to be on the lookout for. :thumbsup:
Isn't it amazing at what people collect, diggummup?! :laughing9: You just never know and its always worth it to research odd ball things you may find.
:hello:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a little confused by the Buy It Now offer, could you please explain? Did you start it as an auction for 9.99 and a buy it now with accept best offer?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerseypicked said:
I am a little confused by the Buy It Now offer, could you please explain? Did you start it as an auction for 9.99 and a buy it now with accept best offer?
I just started this item out as an auction, with an opening bid of $9.99. The buyer contacted me and asked me if I would accept a Buy It Now offer of $150.00, so I revised my listing and added that BIN option of $150 and he bought it for that price. I had already done a completed item search to see what these things were selling for and felt that was a very fair price to accept. I could have let it run as an auction but there was no guarantee that it would bring the top price.
Hope that explains it, jerseypicked.......
Thanks!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
How old are these Untouchables? I wouldn't have paid one dollar for the item in the picture. I guess you just can't be an expert on everything.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
batcap said:
How old are these Untouchables? I wouldn't have paid one dollar for the item in the picture. I guess you just can't be an expert on everything.
Hey batcap :hello: ...This one in the picture was from 1967. You just can't tell what people are going to collect. :dontknow:
Things like this seem to go in cycles---people buy and collect things from their childhoods. I've noticed things from the 1960's, 70's and 80's are selling pretty good.
I was researching something the other day on eBay, and saw that vintage concert t-shirts from the big hair bands of the 80's had outrageous prices on them. Who would think something like that would be selling high?! You just gotta research everything and keep an open mind when buying at garage sales :thumbsup: .
:icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
padlock said:
very nice ROI I love when that happens
Yeah my return on that little investment was almost mind boggling :wink: .
Its always fun to find stuff for 50 cents and sell them for a beaucoup amount!!

Thanks padlock :hello: .

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started this item out as an auction, with an opening bid of $9.99. The buyer contacted me and asked me if I would accept a Buy It Now offer of $150.00, so I revised my listing and added that BIN option of $150 and he bought it for that price. I had already done a completed item search to see what these things were selling for and felt that was a very fair price to accept. I could have let it run as an auction but there was no guarantee that it would bring the top price.
Hope that explains it, jerseypicked.......
Thanks!

My apologies for bumping a 2 year old thread back to the top. I know some message boards really frown on "necroing" but there is an important point to be made here that I am surprised nobody brought up when this item was first posted.

I have listed many items as an ebay auction and had someone contact me with a BIN offer just like happened to Charmin. The first time this happened, I almost took the offer and re-listed it as a BIN. But then I thought: "Why would someone do this? They could just bid on it and maybe get it for MUCH cheaper". Then I realized the only reason to make an offer like that is they KNOW their offer is WAY below what the item will sell for at auction. In every item I have had where I got an offer like this, I declined and let the auction run its course. And in every single case, the winning bid was far above the BIN offer I got. Now I treat offers like this as a dead giveaway that my item is worth much more than what I have it listed for and what it will almost certainly sell for.

Please don't take my comments as a criticism of Charmin. A very nice profit was made and everybody is happy with the deal so no complaints from me. However, for anybody who might encounter a similar situation in the future, my experience suggests you are likely to make more money (sometimes MUCH more) by letting the auction run.

/necro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread