billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this last weekend with a small baggie of stones that also had assorted charms and the small 14kt moon charm...... You can see the large black carbon in one end with your naked eye.....The "thing" is half the width and 3/4 the length of a DIME.....................

This morning, after looking at it with a 5x and 16x magnifying glass, I took pictures of it and what I'd found the last two weekends and load them into the computer. As I was waiting for our old and slow computer to transfer to a new picture folder, I took this "thing" out to the patio and got a piece of window pane glass.... I wiped the old dust of one corner of the glass and dragged the point opposite the end with the dark spot across it.... It sounded just like a glass cutter rolling across!!!! I actually Hollered at my wife to come look, and I dragged the same point across it again just to be sure.... It scratched a second mark that's inches long!!!

See what you think... and who do you go to if it is a rough diamond??

Attachments

• Diamond.JPG
    Diamond.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 803
  • Diamond 3.JPG
    Diamond 3.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 831

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
If you don't have a good diamond tester, go buy one TODAY. One good buy will pay for it. IMHO.................

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
well to me that looks like a Herkimer diamond
http://geology.com/articles/herkimer-diamonds.shtml

After I moaned a bit, I had to laugh! In the beginning years of marriage and work, we lived on a bottom floor of a large apartment complex, but couldn't have pets. While young and enjoying life's simple things out on the small wooden patio, we slowly tamed an alley cat with spoonfulls of ice cream. When we weren't outside, he learned to go around to the front door and stretch up and pat the doorknob to let us know he was around... It was "almost a real pet", and we named it "Herkimer"....

Thanks, Creeper, your info is great and gave me a place to start... And forty years later, I see that I've come full circle, still enjoying life's simple pleasures with garage sale adventures, and finding an "almost real diamond" named "Herkimer"....

Memories like these are the real gems in life,
Bill

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
Hey Creeper, I was just suggesting a tool for use if he is in the garage sale "business". A good diamond tester, a good loupe, a good gold tester and a good gram scale are useful tools and will pay for themselves. Total investment of around $200. My old diamond tester has saved me money in the last 15 years. IMHO

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
oroh2o said:
Hey Creeper, I was just suggesting a tool for use if he is in the garage sale "business". A good diamond tester, a good loupe, a good gold tester and a good gram scale are useful tools and will pay for themselves. Total investment of around $200. My old diamond tester has saved me money in the last 15 years. IMHO
for the reasons above I agree,but for the item in this post it would have been a waste of money...

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creeper, how much did ya pay for that herkimer diamond ( crystal) even thou its not a real diamond, its still very pretty and they look great wirewrapped into a pendant too.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Bootybay said:
Creeper, how much did ya pay for that herkimer diamond ( crystal) even thou its not a real diamond, its still very pretty and they look great wirewrapped into a pendant too.
it's not my HERKIMER Booty, I do have some from that box of gem stones I bought at auction tho...

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oops sorry Creeper, meant to ask bill that one..

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
If you want to test for diamond and have a sam club card most of there stores have a diamond tester . I tested a ring there last week that turned out to be fake but atleast i know now .

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Nightowl 280 said:
If you want to test for diamond and have a sam club card most of there stores have a diamond tester . I tested a ring there last week that turned out to be fake but atleast i know now .
I don't think my sam's club has a jewlery counter

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
oops sorry Creeper, meant to ask bill that one..

It was in a baggie with other stones and a round 14kt gold charm that weighs 6/10 of a gram.

The contents in the baggie cost .50-cents.

This weekend, I think I found a diamond pendant among serveral in a baggie for $2. Upside-down, you can't read through it when looking at fine print through the setting. It looks like a 3/4 to 1 carrat stone... These rollercoaster Adrenalin rides really take you through a range of emotions... ::)

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions