Diamond in the Rough?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Feb 2008
    Texas
    Minelab SN/XS
    623 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Diamond in the Rough?

Found this last weekend with a small baggie of stones that also had assorted charms and the small 14kt moon charm...... You can see the large black carbon in one end with your naked eye.....The "thing" is half the width and 3/4 the length of a DIME.....................

This morning, after looking at it with a 5x and 16x magnifying glass, I took pictures of it and what I'd found the last two weekends and load them into the computer. As I was waiting for our old and slow computer to transfer to a new picture folder, I took this "thing" out to the patio and got a piece of window pane glass.... I wiped the old dust of one corner of the glass and dragged the point opposite the end with the dark spot across it.... It sounded just like a glass cutter rolling across!!!! I actually Hollered at my wife to come look, and I dragged the same point across it again just to be sure.... It scratched a second mark that's inches long!!!

See what you think... and who do you go to if it is a rough diamond??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diamond.JPG 
Views:	768 
Size:	992.3 KB 
ID:	572497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diamond 3.JPG 
Views:	798 
Size:	982.7 KB 
ID:	572498  
    "Chance Favors the Prepared Mind."
    Louis Pasteur

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

Re: Diamond in the Rough?

well to me that looks like a Herkimer diamond
    http://geology.com/articles/herkimer-diamonds.shtml
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

Mar 2006
    13 times

If you don't have a good diamond tester, go buy one TODAY. One good buy will pay for it. IMHO.................

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

Quote Originally Posted by oroh2o
    If you don't have a good diamond tester, go buy one TODAY. One good buy will pay for it. IMHO.................
    it's not a diamond, don't waste money for the item in this post
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

Feb 2008
    Texas
    Minelab SN/XS
    623 times

Quote Originally Posted by creeper71
    well to me that looks like a Herkimer diamond
    http://geology.com/articles/herkimer-diamonds.shtml
    After I moaned a bit, I had to laugh! In the beginning years of marriage and work, we lived on a bottom floor of a large apartment complex, but couldn't have pets. While young and enjoying life's simple things out on the small wooden patio, we slowly tamed an alley cat with spoonfulls of ice cream. When we weren't outside, he learned to go around to the front door and stretch up and pat the doorknob to let us know he was around... It was "almost a real pet", and we named it "Herkimer"....

Thanks, Creeper, your info is great and gave me a place to start... And forty years later, I see that I've come full circle, still enjoying life's simple pleasures with garage sale adventures, and finding an "almost real diamond" named "Herkimer"....

Memories like these are the real gems in life,
    Bill
    Louis Pasteur

Mar 2006
    13 times

Hey Creeper, I was just suggesting a tool for use if he is in the garage sale "business". A good diamond tester, a good loupe, a good gold tester and a good gram scale are useful tools and will pay for themselves. Total investment of around $200. My old diamond tester has saved me money in the last 15 years. IMHO

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

Quote Originally Posted by oroh2o
    Hey Creeper, I was just suggesting a tool for use if he is in the garage sale "business". A good diamond tester, a good loupe, a good gold tester and a good gram scale are useful tools and will pay for themselves. Total investment of around $200. My old diamond tester has saved me money in the last 15 years. IMHO
    for the reasons above I agree,but for the item in this post it would have been a waste of money...

us
    Aug 2007
    NJ
    EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
    120 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Creeper, how much did ya pay for that herkimer diamond ( crystal) even thou its not a real diamond, its still very pretty and they look great wirewrapped into a pendant too.
    Live your life in such a way, that when your feet hit the floor  in the morning, satan shudders and says, OH CHIT, SHE'S AWAKE.

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bootybay
    Creeper, how much did ya pay for that herkimer diamond ( crystal) even thou its not a real diamond, its still very pretty and they look great wirewrapped into a pendant too.
    it's not my HERKIMER Booty, I do have some from that box of gem stones I bought at auction tho...

us
    Aug 2007
    NJ
    EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
    120 times
    Banner Finds (1)

oops sorry Creeper, meant to ask bill that one..
    Live your life in such a way, that when your feet hit the floor  in the morning, satan shudders and says, OH CHIT, SHE'S AWAKE.

us
    Oct 2010
    land o lakes fl
    1 times

If you want to test for diamond and have a sam club card most of there stores have a diamond tester . I tested a ring there last week that turned out to be fake but atleast i know now .

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl 280
    If you want to test for diamond and have a sam club card most of there stores have a diamond tester . I tested a ring there last week that turned out to be fake but atleast i know now .
    I don't think my sam's club has a jewlery counter

Feb 2008
    Texas
    Minelab SN/XS
    623 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bootybay
    oops sorry Creeper, meant to ask bill that one..
    It was in a baggie with other stones and a round 14kt gold charm that weighs 6/10 of a gram.

The contents in the baggie cost .50-cents.

This weekend, I think I found a diamond pendant among serveral in a baggie for $2. Upside-down, you can't read through it when looking at fine print through the setting. It looks like a 3/4 to 1 carrat stone... These rollercoaster Adrenalin rides really take you through a range of emotions...

Bill
    Louis Pasteur

Sponsored Links