New here... would like some advice

Crump

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone, I'm new here to the forum, but I've been lurking for the past few months. I started going to yard sales this past summer looking for gold and silver and pretty much anything else I think is cool. I made a few good finds over the summer, including a 6750 watt Blackmax generator with a Honda engine in perfect condition for $200, two UWS side mount aluminum toolboxes for $30, and about 10 oz of silver. Anyway, I'm starting to try to sell a few things on Ebay. I picked up this set of flatware and wanted to see what you guys think. I bought the set thinking it was a Mode Danish set - that is what the box indicates. Turns out there are 6 wood handle pieces that are Mode Danish, the bulk of the set is Castle. Both are stainless, made in Japan. I found an identical set on Etsy, and the seller described the set as Retro. What do you guys think? Anything else I should describe it with? Thank you guys so much, I've really enjoyed reading the posts here.

Attachments

• IMG_2785.JPG
    IMG_2785.JPG
    676.7 KB · Views: 799
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danish modern, more than likely rosewood handles. Made in Japan = vintage.

I sold a 48 pc set of danish modern flatware for $349.00.

I would recommend going to replacements.com and looking up the pattern.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you have good luck with flatware Turtle, hope this sells well for you Crump. I have a 68 piece set of vintage flatware in ebay that sells for $9.99- $19.99 a piece on Replacements.com and I can't even get a $49.99 bid on the whole set which would cost well over $700 to replace. I mean a 5 piece place setting cost $99.99 and I have six of them plus serving pieces. The only pieces available on Ebay are the single ones from Replcmnt.com I don't get it. :dontknow:

Sorry to hijack your post, good luck with your flatware, the Danich Modern stuff is pretty hot right now. :)

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to hijack this post either, but I do want to leave a tip for selling flatware. If you know me, you will know that I do not like auctions for except for a few cases.

The set I sold for $349 sold took 2 months.

( .40 cents total cost of listing ).

Diggummup were you selling the flatware as an auction?

Here is my thought process on flatware. I ask myself "when do people need to buy flatware?" Probably when there is a change of household or a change in a decor style and they want everything to match or something like that.

I also think that they look at primary places like replacements.com first, and then realize how expensive flatware really is, then decide to look on ebay.

I do not think of flatware as an "impulse buy" nor do I think MOST people are sitting on ebay watching for flatware (except for hot patterns).

I believe flatware needs to sit for a good 1-2 months with a BIN if you want to get good coverage.

Just my 2 cents.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that is one advantage of having a store. You can list a BIN for 1 month versus a week. I list all my "junk" as an auction, sometimes with a buy it now. I did finally get a couple bids on it today. It ends tommorrow. That's good thinking though on "when do people need to buy flatware?". I also listed a bunch of 3 pc. sets of Lufthansa Airline flatware, that stuffs selling like hotcakes (all one bidder though). Got the whole lot for $5 and I didn't even list it all yet.

icon_hijack.gif sorry

Attachments

• icon_hijack.gif
    icon_hijack.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 628
OP
OP
C

Crump

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys don't worry, you are not hijacking the thread - this is exactly what I was hoping for, some of your thoughts on the best way to sell this stuff. I do have another question, when you refer to Danish Modern, are you refering to a style, or a specific brand? The bulk of the set I got (the green handles) is Castle brand - but the whole thing came in a box that was "Mode Danish" - and that is the brand of the few wooden handles. Again, thanks for your thoughts and advice on this...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The term Danish Modern actually refers to a style of furniture that was made popular in the mid century Modernist era of the Danish design movement using organic shapes and traditional materials made famous bt such designers as Finn Juhl to name just one. However lately, it is commonly used as a key search term on Ebay for anything that is Danish related.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I guess that is one advantage of having a store. You can list a BIN for 1 month versus a week.

For 50 cents, you can list Buy It Now and it is listed until it sells. One fee. That's it, and you don't need a store.

As for turtles listing advice, well he does price on the high side, and his sales to listings ratio shows that. If people have the space / shelving to do this, it works. For the casual seller with limited space, though, his listing / pricing style wouldn't be effective. He basically throws in a bunch of random keywords and hopes to get a bite from ebay buyers who just don't know how to search effectively to find the same items he is selling for $50 for $10 from other sellers.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to un-ignore bazinga to see what kind of crap he is spewing.

I think I have a stalker lol.

"Good 'Til Cancelled listings renew automatically every 30 days until the item sells or you end the listing. Insertion fees are charged every 30-day period."

You pay .50 cents per month without a store with BIN

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. on the BIN, i'll check it out the next time I list. Personally I see nothing wrong with using key words to draw attwntion to your listings, after all that's what it's all about.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
diggummup said:
Thanks for the info. on the BIN, i'll check it out the next time I list. Personally I see nothing wrong with using key words to draw attwntion to your listings, after all that's what it's all about.

Absolutely. I'll put any keywords in my auction that I think will help sell the item. Sell the item, net as much profit as possible, that's the whole idea. I guess some people are jealous they can't come up with the right keywords too? I won't say I'm jealous, but I do wish I was as good at describing my items as you are Turtle.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap! I cant believe that set sold for so much! You definitely know what you are doing when it comes to ebay sales! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread