Strangest thing ever at an estate sale...

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Last weekend at an estate sale I found a Ziploc bag full of human bones (one complete foot and what appeared to be hip bones). They were marked and drilled to be strung together, maybe for one of those medical skeletons. Absolutely crazy. I didn't know if it was legal/moral to buy/sell things like that... but either way it was very strange.

I asked one of the sale workers and he said he'd seen even stranger stuff. Which made me wonder: What IS the strangest thing people have found at estate/garage/yard/etc. sales? Any good stories?

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Damn, too much thinking for one day. Had to get through the "Best Free Box Find" earlier.
Good Spooky (that time of year) find though! :)
Many times strange can be a good item to pick-up for resale.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yuk!

Is that even legal to own?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Went to a yard sale last week with the girlfriend and it just so happened that it was an ex-girlfriend having the sale at her fathers house. Other then that the strangest thing I ever found was a jar with preserved critters in it like a starfish, octopus and some other stuff I can't remember. It looked like a science project from the 70's but I had a lot of fun grossing out the kids with it. ;D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MarkDz said:
What IS the strangest thing people have found at estate/garage/yard/etc. sales?
One squishy, squashy ball. About the size of a softball. I opened a box and picked it up trying to figure out what it was. It was kind of oily so I put it back down and wiped my hands off on some nearby clothes for sale. I looked at the box top and figured it out. It was a fake boob for someone who had a cancer surgery.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
cyberdan said:
MarkDz said:
One squishy, squashy ball. About the size of a softball. I opened a box and picked it up trying to figure out what it was. It was kind of oily so I put it back down and wiped my hands off on some nearby clothes for sale. I looked at the box top and figured it out. It was a fake boob for someone who had a cancer surgery.

Those are fun for the whole family.

- John Candy R.I.P.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This lady had a garage sale and the strangest thing there was a ziploc bag that ha hair from Jeff Foxworhty,she claimed that she cut his hair and saved some.By the way she wanted $25 for the hair :laughing7:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ghouls.................

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
2ndisbest said:
cyberdan said:
MarkDz said:

- John Candy R.I.P.
Is that a quote from the movie Summer Rental ?

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
About 20 years back I bought a genuine shrunken head at a yard sale. I was labeled as a lab specimen from a Museum in New York and dated in the 1920's. I remember paying $10 for it and sold it a few years later to a oddity collector for $150.
I also picked up a whole baby shark in a lab jar for $2 that I still have today. There's some weird stuff out there when your not looking for it. Happy Trails, Woodstock

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
allan said:
2ndisbest said:
cyberdan said:
MarkDz said:

- John Candy R.I.P.
Is that a quote from the movie Summer Rental ?

Yep.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I bought the below items at an auction for $5. The auctioneer looked me right in the eye like he was dying for a bid, any bid. That was the 2nd time I gave a "mercy bid". They seem to pay off for me.

I put them up on ebay and they sold for $244.49. That was my best auction ever. One fellow sent a comment/question during the auction saying the dark one was "the holy grail of fountain syringes." Now I'll have to compare everything to this auction's results . . . "It was a pretty good auction, but it was no 'Douche Bag'."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140627513358?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

Attachments

• everything.jpg
    everything.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 2,541

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
batcap said:
I bought the below items at an auction for $5. The auctioneer looked me right in the eye like he was dying for a bid, any bid. That was the 2nd time I gave a "mercy bid". They seem to pay off for me.

I put them up on ebay and they sold for $244.49. That was my best auction ever. One fellow sent a comment/question during the auction saying the dark one was "the holy grail of fountain syringes." Now I'll have to compare everything to this auction's results . . . "It was a pretty good auction, but it was no 'Douche Bag'."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140627513358?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649
Hahaha I guess you thought they was pretty much worthless.. I seen you started bidding at 5.00. I guess you was hoping to atleast get your money back?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the strangest thing i've run across recently (that I can think of) was a taxidermy frog, which I would have bought, but one of the front legs was half broken off.

Hey Batcap- Don't you love auctions like those. You list something your not quite sure of the value and it skyrockets! Been there, done that.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
[size=14pt]Oh man, creeper71 nailed me. The only better deal was when someone "curb alerted" a bunch of art supplies that I put on ebay. They went to $66, but the guy that won them complained that A)One of the paints leaked and B) It was a toxic chemical that was no longer allowed to be used. I pleaded ignorance of art supplies and asked if he would settle for a cash back of all but shipping, and he could keep everything. He was happy enough that I offered, and didn't actually make me refund him. He "re-intubated" the spilled paint. He gave me 5 stars and called me an honorable seller in the ratings. Boy, was I relieved. So, yea, diggumup I do love those kind of auctions!

OP
OP
MarkDz

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
batcap said:

You deserve every penny! He who dares, wins.

Maggot

Jun 3, 2005
Washington state
I found a ham on the bone hanging in a closet by a noose. It was covered with mold. It was not for sale, they had to get someone from the city to dispose of it they said.

shopdog

Oct 20, 2008
I THINK THE THING THAT STICKS OUT IN MY BRAIN THE MOST WAS A SMALL BOX OF DRYED UP RACOON PENIS THAT THE ELDERLY LADY SAID HER HUSBAND USED AS TOOTH PICKS . I DON`T KNOW IF SHE WAS JOKING OR NOT, THIS WAS IN OPP ALABAMA . AND THE OTHER THING IS SOME LIVE LARGE ARTILARY ROUNDS AGAIN AN ELDERLY LADY SAID THAT HER LATE HUSBAN WAS USEING THE BOTTOMS OF THE SHELLS TO MAKE ASHTRAYS, MY BUDDY THAT WAS WITH ME WAS A FIRE FIGHTER AND CALLED THE SHERRIF. THIS WAS IN LAKELAND FL. IN THE LATE 90`S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread