Seth Thomas ships bell

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seth Thomas ship's bell

I picked up a vintage seth thomas ship's bell Name: Corsair-W Model E537-000A ( Chrome ) for $2.00 yesterday.

The outside is in good shape, I went to test it, wound it up and nothing happened so I took off the back, and spun the ticker wheely thing ( technical term ) and it has been running since yesterday with exact time.

This is what mine looks like only not mint or refurbished.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SETH-THOMAS...ltDomain_0&hash=item19c982aa5b#ht_2910wt_1114

Completed listings are looking in my favor for a strong sale.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Seth Thomas ship's bell

Don't you love finding a great deal like that. Did you have any idea of the actual value when you bought it? Or do you have a smart phone and check things out at sales or both? Just wondering because a good phone is next on my list. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting story behind why I knew it was worth something. A very well to do retired navy captain let my wife and I stay at their beach house on the pacific coast for my birthday. The beach house was filled with old nautical stuff including ship's helms, bells and other very expensive looking items.

I made a mental note of everything that was in the house and have been looking for the stuff ever since.

Once I got home I did some completed listing research and reinforced what I already knew. The stuff is worth some bank. The next day I found a ship's helm for $10.00 and sold it for $80.
I didn't actually think I would find one of the clocks though.

Visualize yourself finding it and you will find it.

As for the quick look up my smart phone. I have not been to a single garage sale where I have used my smart phone. It just takes too much time, if something the right price and I think I can do something with it, I buy it and move on to the next sale. My spidey senses would have to be kicking me in the face for me to pull out my smart phone in front of anyone at a garage sale, I like to keep low key.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hear ya about keeping low key, i'd be more inclined to go to the car and look it up myself. It kinda pi$$es me off when people are holding onto something while they are checking out it's worth in the middle of a sale. But it will be good to have for "emergencies" so to speak. I think I may pass up some items becuse i'm less inclined to pay $20-$50 or more for something unless I know for a fact that I can at least triple my money on by checking recent completed listings.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.

Humm, think I might have kept that one. :) Well atleast thought about it. ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread