selling gold and silver on ebay vs refiner.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i have been thinking about this for some time and don't think ebay is the best place for gold.
problem is in the 10% to 14% selling fees on ebay vs a refiners 2% gold.
at least i have read that it's about 2%.

that being said, i have seen .005 gram lots of raw placer gold selling for what amounts to $2000 to $4000 or more per troy ounce.
but that's a lot of small sales.
silver, sometimes, (depending on the item)you can do better on ebay vs the refiners 20%.

what do you think?

also found this link for a gold filled calculator. http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php...led-calculator&catid=49:calculators&Itemid=66

do you find it to be accurate.
i remember cyberdan posting something about him making a spread sheet on gold filled.
i buy gold filled when i find it cheap.

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I, too, pick up GF items when I can get them dirt cheap. I have read alot about people not caring too much about it but I have made a calculator and occasionally you can pick up a small piece for practically nothing and the gold content can be several dollars. Not much but a bunch can add up.

I'm no help on the ebay idea since I have never sold there but I figure the fees could potentially kill your profits. As for a refiner, what are some on the East Coast that are reputable?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldmanford said:
I, too, pick up GF items when I can get them dirt cheap.

As for a refiner, what are some on the East Coast that are reputable?

I always look for GF too, I pay what I would for junk jewelry. I use ARA to refine my GF. Can't remember exactly but I think I get about 75¢ a gram

These guys have locations on the east coast. I use one in SoCA and I get within $10 of what I am expecting. Once I got over $100 above.
http://www.ntrmetals.com/

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leadnugget said:

i remember cyberdan posting something about him making a spread sheet on gold filled.

The only time i sell gold on feebay is when it is a nice piece of jewelry. If it doesn't sell it gets melted. :icon_pirat:

Yes, I wrote a personal spreadsheet to keep track of GF buys and what the AU value is.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Goldmanford said:
I, too, pick up GF items when I can get them dirt cheap. I have read alot about people not caring too much about it but I have made a calculator and occasionally you can pick up a small piece for practically nothing and the gold content can be several dollars. Not much but a bunch can add up.

I'm no help on the ebay idea since I have never sold there but I figure the fees could potentially kill your profits. As for a refiner, what are some on the East Coast that are reputable?
refiner takes 15% or more of auctal value

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
cyberdan said:
creeper71 said:
both my refiners charge 2% gold & 10% silver
there is no waythey make any money paying 98% of spot
Yes way they can. Any silver or other precious metals recovered during gold processing is kept. that's how they can make money paying 98% of spot.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
SnakemanBill said:
creeper71 said:
cyberdan said:
creeper71 said:
Yes way they can. Any silver or other precious metals recovered during gold processing is kept. that's how they can make money paying 98% of spot.
willing to bet 10-1 odds there is some type of hidden fees in there somewhere...

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Send mine to ARA, based on recommendations on this site, I usual get a check within a week and a breakdown by weight/precious metal. I have been very happy with them.

Q. How do we survive on 2% profit?
A. Low overhead, and we are a family-owned business that is not in it to get rich, instead, we do this for the joy of working for ourselves and with family doing what we love.

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree...ARA is the way to go. It is 2% and they will also send you back all the real stones. Members of our club have used them many times.

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
Hey all,

I just googled ARA and went to their website. According to the application to send in PMs you need to have a business and comply with the Patriot Act or something. Too much to digest in one sitting. I'm not a business but rather a buyer who gets their gold and scrap from flea markets, yard sales, detecting, etc. How do others go about dealing with ARA if they don't own a business?

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]willing to bet 10-1 odds there is some type of hidden fees in there somewhere...
[/quote] Ok I'll bet you a c note... sooo you owe me a grand. I'll take it silver or gold, your choice. PM me for an address.

yes Goldmanford if you Google ARA you now have to have a tax id to deal with them although I've heard they will still work with long time customers that don't have a business license or tax id. Been three or 4 months since I've sent them anything.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
willing to bet 10-1 odds there is some type of hidden fees in there somewhere...
nope!!!!!!!!!!!!! have sold AU/AG to both many times. no extra fees. ;D
I will take that bet and I am not a gambler. :icon_pirat:

now there is another refinery about the same distance from me and they have charges all over the place. and they take along time. If you really want ot pay all those fees let me know and i will give you their name. :icon_pirat:

Silver Bear

Sep 14, 2011
creeper71 said:
SnakemanBill said:
creeper71 said:
cyberdan said:
creeper71 said:

Put me down for a C Note at 10 to 1 as well. Ahh what the hey make it 1K... ;D

HH...Silver Bear

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
yes Goldmanford if you Google ARA you now have to have a tax id to deal with them although I've heard they will still work with long time customers that don't have a business license or tax id. Been three or 4 months since I've sent them anything.
So basically any new customers are SOL. Unless of course you want to give out your tax info... back to square 1. Wonder if Midwest is the same?

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Kieth-Tx said:
Agree...ARA is the way to go. It is 2% and they will also send you back all the real stones. Members of our club have used them many times.
I'm all for ARA for scrapping gold, but I'm not so hot on silver with them right now. Three things bother me:

1) I can estimate nearly on the money for gold, but I can be 20% off (always short) when estimating silver.

2)An ARA employee once told me over the phone that they don't do their own silver refining.

3) ARA prides itself on returning stones -- but not stones in silver. Phone quote: "We don't return stones from silver."

Last time out I feel I got about 70% spot for silver, and no stones returned in the silver jewelry. But got everything I expected for the gold, including the stones back.

So, if ARA really doesn't do their own silver refining then I don't want to send silver to them; I want to send it to the guy doing the work. Then I can evaluate based on my estimate of HIS performance, and not blame ARA for their contractor's performance as I perceive it.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
batcap said:
Kieth-Tx said:
I'm all for ARA for scrapping gold, but I'm not so hot on silver with them right now. Three things bother me:

1) I can estimate nearly on the money for gold, but I can be 20% off (always short) when estimating silver.

2)An ARA employee once told me over the phone that they don't do their own silver refining.

3) ARA prides itself on returning stones -- but not stones in silver. Phone quote: "We don't return stones from silver."

Last time out I feel I got about 70% spot for silver, and no stones returned in the silver jewelry. But got everything I expected for the gold, including the stones back.

So, if ARA really doesn't do their own silver refining then I don't want to send silver to them; I want to send it to the guy doing the work. Then I can evaluate based on my estimate of HIS performance, and not blame ARA for their contractor's performance as I perceive it.

Good info.

Much of the jewelry I send has other items with it (Stones, beads ect.), not sure how to evaluate the weight without taking them out.

I'd love to send the silver off to the place that does the work also. Please let us know if you find a good place.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So does ARA buy gold fingers and circuit boards? or was I reading that wrong? if so... where on the net does it say this?

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions