If BIG SCORES are on top of a dumpster, is it still dumpster diving....?

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
If 'BIG SCORES' are on top of a dumpster, is it still dumpster diving....?

I was taking out my garbage this morning here at my complex when I made some (to me anyway) very good finds! On top of an overstuffed dumpster was one of those large black zippered suitcases w/ the pull handle & wheels on the bottom. Inside were three relatively new and (strongly smelling of laundry detergent) pairs of jeans from Structure, the Gap & Calvin Klein. Two of the pairs were too large for me, so I took those to the Goodwill donation box, but one pair was just my size, albeit with those goofy flared legs like bell bottoms. I'm having them altered to make them into regular straight leg jeans. I figure it will cost me $15 or so, but since they were free and in great shape....
Some things I left behind in that suitcase (which I kept) were a truncheon (it's a footlong piece of cylindrical heavy metal used to bludgeon someone) :o a computer keyboard, various IT type of wires and plug-ins etc.
Ironically, I found an upper level Economics text book from the local University which had the same name on it as the suitcase. (I kept this because that was my major at the same University almost 20 years ago.) I started reading it, but remembered the end of the semesters vividly with the uncertainty of tough finals, books that can't be resold for beer money and drinking myself into stupors with my buddies in celebration. Frankly, just looking at that text book started actually making me nauseous! But my question is this: Are all kids today really that wasteful??? Or is this just a disconnect between a 40 year old Economics major and a presumably 20 year old one??? ???
HH
-spyguy

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Re: If 'BIG SCORES' are on top of a dumpster, is it still dumpster diving....?

spyguy said:
I was taking out my garbage this morning here at my complex when I made some (to me anyway) very good finds! On top of an overstuffed dumpster was one of those large black zippered suitcases w/ the pull handle & wheels on the bottom. Inside were three relatively new and (strongly smelling of laundry detergent) pairs of jeans from Structure, the Gap & Calvin Klein. Two of the pairs were too large for me, so I took those to the Goodwill donation box, but one pair was just my size, albeit with those goofy flared legs like bell bottoms. I'm having them altered to make them into regular straight leg jeans. I figure it will cost me $15 or so, but since they were free and in great shape....
Some things I left behind in that suitcase (which I kept) were a truncheon (it's a footlong piece of cylindrical heavy metal used to bludgeon someone) :o a computer keyboard, various IT type of wires and plug-ins etc.
Ironically, I found an upper level Economics text book from the local University which had the same name on it as the suitcase. (I kept this because that was my major at the same University almost 20 years ago.) I started reading it, but remembered the end of the semesters vividly with the uncertainty of tough finals, books that can't be resold for beer money and drinking myself into stupors with my buddies in celebration. Frankly, just looking at that text book started actually making me nauseous! But my question is this: Are all kids today really that wasteful??? Or is this just a disconnect between a 40 year old Economics major and a presumably 20 year old one??? ???
HH
-spyguy

As long as it was only the memories that were making you nauseous. You could drastically summarize your post like this:

"I found something valueable, it had a strong smell, later I was nauseous." I'm all for dumpster diving, but don't get poisoned. Even if it was just bad memories I'd still chuck the book.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I hope you grabbed all that wiring for scrap!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

batcap said:
Even if it was just bad memories I'd still chuck the book.
Go see if you can resell that book at the book store. quarter is almost over.

manorman

Dec 8, 2008

you can Sell your textbooks online thay even pay the shipping so easy, just google see textbooks/
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions