jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Drove 1 hour today to an estate sale. This is the kind you dream about. Literally a house built in 1795 filled to the brim with 3 barns and all is for sale. Got there early enough, secured a good spot, and even picked the barns 45 mins early. Scored $30-40 in scrap copper for $15 and was feeling good. Finally, they let us in the house and by then it was a total zoo. Stuff EVERYWHERE and people swarming every corner. It was the kind of situation where every second you spent looking at an item, another item was being snatched up by someone else.

Grabbed a box of what looked like jewelry, 2 pens, a nice cigar box, a cheap cigar box of old musicians accessories, a silver ladle, and a box of postcards. On my way to pay I grabbed a gooseneck lamp. As I am about to negotiate I realize the ladle is obviously not sterling so I quickly put it back. I then realize the "box of jewelry" was actually a box of buttons and clothing/sewing accessories. I also put that box back. I paid my money and went home.

When I got home I realized that the lamp itself was nice but the cord was toast. Didn't even think to check it at the sale. The 2 pens I bought because I thought they were Mont Blanc. Turns out I guess they are knock-offs. Gave the musicians stuff to my brother (a musician). The nice cigar box is now my own "treasure chest". The postcards all turned out to be common and worth very little.

I should have just gone home after I scored the deal on the scrap. Next time I will pay closer attention to what I am buying.

Attachments

• cigarbox.jpg
    cigarbox.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,265
  • pens1.jpg
    pens1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,272

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you felt going after things as the crowd rushes around you.... Your own Pumping Adrienlian can give you tunnel vision, before, during, and after... :laughing7:

Some of the local auction companies begin handing out place holder numbers as the line forms. It started with estate auctions but has spread to the same companies doing it at estate sales. The last one I went to would only let the first 10 people in, the the next ten as the first group paid out.... It frustrated a lot of those that came after the first 20 or 30 people were standing in line. By midmorning, they let people come and go as normal....

When asked about their procedures, they said it was due to "Security and Theft Issues"....

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Been there for sure, many times the poor lighting makes it even more challenging.

Need to get myself one of those silly looking visor lights.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I went to an estate sale today, and waited for a desk lamp to be sold. I was very excited when I won it.

Too bad that the 'dust' that I thought was covering the lamp was actually deep scratches in the finish...and the cord has been cut off. So much for my big ebay score!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always bring a small (strong) halogen flashlight, a small blacklight (on my keychain), my readers, a loupe and a regular magnifying glass. I keep my digital scale in the car just in case I need to send the wife out there to get it. Yeah, i've had the tunnel vision before myself.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's fairly easy to replace lamp cord.
Better luck next time. It's all a learning experience.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Tigger said:
it's fairly easy to replace lamp cord.
Better luck next time. It's all a learning experience.

I'm not too worried about replacing the cord. The problem is, finding a cord that will look close to the original. The socket that plugs in to the wall is damaged and it is one of those old ones where the wires screw in to an ornate round socket. The outer wire casing is completely trashed and copper wiring is exposed.

Here is a good example of what my cord looks like (thankfully my lamp looks much nicer than this one): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gre...554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21ef716a

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It actually gets worse:

One of the major components of the scrap copper I bought there was a large OLD lightning rod (40s or 50s). Turns out, many of them were just copper plated over steel so I better check it with a magnet when I get home.

EDIT: Checked it with a magnet and it passed. Solid copper, not plated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread