Fantasized about this....... never thought it would happen, 24k chain

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
A few weeks ago i was doing the usual rounds of our local opp shops (opportunity shops). As i have an interest in
the jewelery trade i always have a quick look at what jewelery they have for sale, be it costume or the real deal.
There, hanging on a carousel type display on the counter along with about half a dozen pieces of very obviously
costume jewelery was an incredibly yellow neck-chain.
To the untrained eye just another bit of overdone costume jewelery, to the trained eye .......... omg, take a deep breath, hands stop shaking, very gently lift it off the carousel and feel the weight, very heavy for the size. Check the price tag.........$4.00. Hmmmmm, i think i can manage that.
Fast forward to later that evening and using my eye glass could just make out some incredibly small Chinese markings on the edge of the catch, looking good!
Okaaaay, now for the big test, applying heat with the blow torch. Not too much, not too little, just the right amount to the clasp, don't want to melt it.
And the verdict ..........24k pure gold weighing in at 15.1 grams, no blackish residue left on the clasp after a very intense 5-10 seconds from the blow torch.
Took it to a jeweler friend the next day to confirm and confirm he did.
My dilemma now is do i sell it, keep and wear it or wait for gold to go even higher and then sell it.
Never posted pictures before, hope they're not too large and I've attached them correctly. Am open to instruction if I've got it wrong.

Oh, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on TreasureNet from rubytuesday.

Attachments

• 24k 15.1gram necklace.jpg
    24k 15.1gram necklace.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 790
    164 KB · Views: 787
  • rubytuesdays 24k necklace.jpg
    rubytuesdays 24k necklace.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 786
    164 KB · Views: 782
  • putting into perspective.jpg
    putting into perspective.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 800
OP
OP
R

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
Re: Fantasized about this....... never thought it would happen

One more photo on the scales

Attachments

• rubytuesdays 24k find.jpg
    rubytuesdays 24k find.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 963

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Outsanding find :o . I'd also invest in a Foster lager or 2 :laughing9: Seriously I would sell it and invest the money in something with a long term payout like a CD. Gold can't stay up forever so get your $ while you can amigo.

Ace Villa-v

OP
OP
R

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for your comments acevillav and brendan1414. After due consideration I've decided to sell the chain,
invest the proceeds in a metal detector and get the metal detecting party happening. I've always had other
calls on any spare cash, mostly family ones, but this find is so far out of left field i feel free to do what i like
with it.
Hopefully I'll be posting in "Today's Finds" in the not too distant future.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rubytuesday said:
Thanks for your comments acevillav and brendan1414. After due consideration I've decided to sell the chain,
invest the proceeds in a metal detector and get the metal detecting party happening. I've always had other
calls on any spare cash, mostly family ones, but this find is so far out of left field i feel free to do what i like
with it.
Hopefully I'll be posting in "Today's Finds" in the not too distant future.
Good luck with the new detector. I'm picking up a new Sand Shark tommorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions