Pawn shop advice

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
There is a pawn shop a few hours away that I have frequented while visiting folks in the hospital there. I can't say I got deals but I did scratch around in the huge box of foreign and misc. coins and dig out the silver for 50 cents to a buck each.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch the pawn shops for items that I might pick up for less , but in the last few years the cost of items in pawn shops has gone up so much that you are almost paying new price and you do not get a warranty so it has got to the point that I do not buy much.

You just have to go in and have a look around to see for yourself , there are good deals at times but like I said they have been few and far between as of late.
I'm thinking it has to do with all the Pawn Shop TV shows and people coming in because of that. But that is just my guess .

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a pawn shop that sold anything for less than the cost of a brand new item.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Goldmanford said:
There is a pawn shop a few hours away that I have frequented while visiting folks in the hospital there. I can't say I got deals but I did scratch around in the huge box of foreign and misc. coins and dig out the silver for 50 cents to a buck each.
that is pretty much what I was going to say..If you know foreign coins it probly is worth going if not more then likely it will waste your time

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawn shops around here are a joke. I went looking for some vintage Southwestern silver jewelry for a gift a while back and they are out of touch with reality to say the least. I don't know how they could sell anything with their prices.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not one time in my life have I ever found a deal in a pawn shop.

If they are dependent on retail sales, I often wonder how they stay in business, with prices that high.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
I've never found a pawn shop that sold anything for less than the cost of a brand new item.

Ahh I bought a 1/2" masonary bit for a buck a couple of weeks ago, I think it depends on what your looking for, coins, guns and jewlery usually are pretty high but everything is negotatable. What happened to the spell check :dontknow:

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I found an 1861 Seated Liberty half (Fine) for $20 and I jumped on it even though they then charge sales tax of 7.375%. Total cost was $21.48, which in my mind, was a great price. A week ago I saw a Kindle Fire (used) at a pawn shop for $230 + sales tax ($246.95). Today I took delivery from Amazon of the Kindle Fire for $199 TOTAL......with free delivery (4 days). Pawn shop prices seem to equal the new price of most items purchased at other stores.

I also saw a 1/4 oz gold Krugarrand going for $420. The price for 1/4th oz of gold today is $433.75. I would have jumped on it but with the sales tax it would cost $451.....I'm not going to pay 4% over spot, so the state lost around $31 in revenue. Of course, the sheeple voted for the 13.5% increase in taxes for the arts, trails, enviroment, and so forth. I'm quite sure that the sheeple got a 13.5% wage increase last year.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a pawn shop to look at a Prizm V they had for $250. Not a bad deal, but not a great one either. I tried to get them to come down to $225 because I knew they probably only $100 in it. They wouldn't take it. I ended up buying another one for $245 shipped. Not much difference, but no sales tax to pay.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I think it depends on which pawn shop you go to. In this county, there are a few pawn shops, and we have only found 1 that has good deals. We have bought a lot of gold jewelry, and few bows and long guns, and tools. All were priced great. However, I have seen tools priced above retail also. When I spoke to the manager about the over pricing, the only thing he would say was that someone had overpaid for the tool, and they were trying to brake even.
If you keep looking, you might find a shop that works for you and with you.
best of luck,

Bill

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have made a little relationship with my local gold buyer. He buys coins as well as PMs and he usually sells the coins to a coin wholesaler for just a bit more than whatever he pays for them in bulk. I stop by from time to time and see what he has in his current stock. He lets me look at everything and then sells it to me for the same price his wholesaler gets. So far I have bought 4-5000 wheat pennies that way and several Morgan dollars. I think this only works for me because he foes not sell coins at retail nor does he cherrypick his own stock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions