billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past weekend was almost froze-out, but the weekend before had been "Interesting".....going between "a Friday Famine and a Saturday Feast"...

For $2, in the bottom of a plastic bag filled with old buttons and handmade lapel pins, my wife found this 3" long Leatherman "Mini Tool".
Apparently, Leatherman no longer makes this model, and it hasn't a single scratch.

White and Davis Co.(makers of those 1920's Flapper mesh purses), also makes a Butcher's chainmail glove and forearm protection: Paid $5.
I'm thinking about keeping these as they could be used when doing 3-D woodcarving projects.....at least two years from now...

In a twist of timing and luck, at a mid-morning garage sale, I happened to ask if they had any jewelry. They did and just hadn't had time to put it out... I found two jewelry boxes. I stood on their doorstep as one went to get them. As the owner handed them to me, a Dealer that sells at a local antique mall, came up expecting to look and go through them, too. Still holding them, I lifted each lid, looked at both, closed them, and told her I was going to buy both of them.... Glad I was wearing fireproof clothing.... I walked over to the other owner and made a quick offer of $20 for both jewelry box, but with the Dealer was within hearing distance, the owner came back with "Naw, I'd have to have $30." I made another offer of $25 as the lady Dealer was walking up behind him, just as he said, "Aw-Okay, I'll do that."

The somewhat blind gamble turned out to be a little bit of everything.... Below shows old Rhinestone jewelry that my wife likes, and is what's left after finding gold and silver: Including a stack of 6 rings and a broach for ladies of "The Red Hat Society".

The gold chain on the bottom right, made me swallow hard when I pulled it out and saw the "Italy Marking". Alas, I put it in the shape of an "F" , It is stamped "14kt-Italy"....it tested as a FAKE as it has a magnetic link between the rope and the catch on each end. Plus, the chain itself is ever-so lightly attracted to a magnet..... Pity, had it been real gold, it weighs 12.8 grams....and would have been worth $400.00 all by itself.

All the rest of the gold is stamped 14kt, and was tested just to be sure... In the picture below, the top center pendant is Amber.

The worn Half dollar was on a leather key fob and found down in a large box of odds-and-In's. Paid .75-cents for it and (not pictured) a small brass lock given away by Ruger Firearms Co.

Unscrewed and detached from the leather key fob, the obverse shows a threaded button soldered to it. I'll soon remove it from a 1943 Walking Liberty:

At another garage sale "Bundle Buy", I paid $30.00 for a 500 ct. brick (minus 25 bullets) of .22 Long Rifles, a box of 20ga. shotgun shells, and loose 12 ga. shells filling the bottom of the box , plus full boxes stacked on top, and in another plastic bag full, all equals to eight cartons of 12 ga. shells.

After not finding much on Friday, it turned out to be a feast of a weekend for garage sales for an "Old German Picker"....

Attachments

• P1030130 (Small).JPG
    P1030130 (Small).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 567
  • P1030110 (Small).JPG
    P1030110 (Small).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 577
  • P1030112 (Small).JPG
    P1030112 (Small).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 574
  • P1030114 (Small).JPG
    P1030114 (Small).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 576
  • P1030131 (Small).JPG
    P1030131 (Small).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 618
  • P1030120 (Small).JPG
    P1030120 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 612
  • P1030075 (Small).JPG
    P1030075 (Small).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 671

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Great post!

I love it when I can get one up on a dealer! I see them regularly and love dropping a comment or two when possible. Its great when they miss the good sale, by going to an overhyped one first. These work for starters :) "This is my third load" "Wow you missed a good one, over sleep?" "Best sale in a long time" bla bla. Love it.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
bluehunter1973 said:
I think the buy of the day are those bullets.
A gram of gold has a value of $50 he has potentially 8 grams of gold when he removes those stones? How many shot gun shells can he buy with $200 cash?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread