flea market booth tips please

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I have sold at flea and antique shows . I am happy to share , just need to know what are you selling?

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the last post said, we need to know what you are selling in order to help you. One man's hodge podge, is another mans treasure. Perhaps is you do not have to many items, you may want to post a few photos. I have been buying and selling for over 35 years, from flea markets to yard sales to booths auction auction houses to the internet. If you have the internet, you could also reseach what you have. I bought 2 HP (Hewlet Packard) handheld calculators at a yardsale 10 years ago on my way home church (didn't even want to stop because it was a weekly junk sale), paid 1.00 each, 1 sold on Ebay for just over 500.00, and the other 375.00, and each had a defect (which was described in the listing). Google "Vintage HP calculators"
it will blow your mind!!.
Anyhow, nobody can advise you on a value without knowing what you have, but we are here to help.
John - Ebay Top Rated PowerSeller

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Buff4 said:
Like the last post said, we need to know what you are selling in order to help you. One man's hodge podge, is another mans treasure. Perhaps is you do not have to many items, you may want to post a few photos. I have been buying and selling for over 35 years, from flea markets to yard sales to booths auction auction houses to the internet. If you have the internet, you could also reseach what you have. I bought 2 HP (Hewlet Packard) handheld calculators at a yardsale 10 years ago on my way home church (didn't even want to stop because it was a weekly junk sale), paid 1.00 each, 1 sold on Ebay for just over 500.00, and the other 375.00, and each had a defect (which was described in the listing). Google "Vintage HP calculators"
it will blow your mind!!.
Anyhow, nobody can advise you on a value without knowing what you have, but we are here to help.
John - Ebay Top Rated PowerSeller
Thank you for your post but I wasn't asking for prices..I pretty much already know that... I am wanting tips or advise for selling in a antique/flea market mall

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
If you can get an end or corner spot, you will do better than getting stuffed into the center of some row.

If you have the same spot every time, than your regular customers will know where to find you.

To price tag or not. I do, but will negotiate. And I have a 1/2 price table and sometimes a $1.00 table.

Try to have some items that are eye candy, something that will make the passers-by stop and look even if its to expensive for them to buy.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you just have fantastic items that you are worried about getting broken, get a real booth and not some silly display case. Very few people go through the trouble of chasing down a clerk to unlock a case to buy a $20 item.

So, unless your items are in the $100+ range, or easily stolen smalls that are highly desirable, then get a booth.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Here is the method I use at shows or fleas I set up tables in a u with a table in the middle looks as seen below . This way people have to look at everything when they enter from either side. I always put a dish of candy out too, just have something that won't melt or get really messy. If its hot out offer cold water to your customers a case of water is cheap and it makes people happy. I place items in groups , pottery, glass, toys ect. I also use bright colored clothes to cover the sides of the tables and put white sheets on top the colors will attract attention and teh white sheets on top will make you items pop. Also be sure to know your items people will have tons of questions . As far as a case goes it's a roll of the dice unless you have some big dollar or very unique stuff. Good luck and keep us posted
______
I
== I
______ I

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
bazinga said:
Unless you just have fantastic items that you are worried about getting broken, get a real booth and not some silly display case. Very few people go through the trouble of chasing down a clerk to unlock a case to buy a $20 item.

So, unless your items are in the $100+ range, or easily stolen smalls that are highly desirable, then get a booth.
Get a booth? that is not a option got another idea? an far as I seen your wrong about people chasing down a clerk to get a 20.00 item in my area...

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
bazinga said:

Get a booth? that is not a option got another idea? an far as I seen your wrong about people chasing down a clerk to get a 20.00 item in my area...

where the flee market at ? green dragon ?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

I've had a display case for about a year & a half. There are a lot of things that people absolutely will not get a clerk to open the case for. In general, if the item is available in a booth in the mall it won't sell out of a display case unless it's a LOT cheaper. The vast majority of what I sell is either coins or sterling jewelry. That's what pays the bills & makes the case worth having. I've tried a bunch of different items & have found that the items that sell are rare, unusual, or both. As far as prices go I've had a lot of items sell for $10 or less.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Purely from a customer's point of view:

When I go to the antique center/mall I usually just look in display cases. I only "browse" the open booths as I walk by looking for stuff that jumps out at me. Most of the time the stuff people have in their open booths is cheap or bulky stuff that I have no interest in buying. The stuff that catches my eye is the expensive or unusual stuff that always gets locked away in a case. That being said, do not put crap or cheap stuff in your case because I would never waste my time asking to see a $2 item if I have to go get someone with the key.

I think you confused people with your title. It sounds like you are selling at an antique center/mall, right? When you say flea market that is a completely different ball-game and people will respond differently to such an environment.

cracker

Apr 1, 2009
coming to a town near you
Detector(s) used
several
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone sees something they want, there gonna buy it. I think $20 and up is good for items in a locked case. Maybe put the best stuff on the top shelf and work your way down with the least expensive stuff being at the bottom.

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
I started to sell in a better shop last year. I rented two glass display cases, 4' locked. Using this method to dispose of coins and jewelry, both found with detector and bought at auction. I figured the gold jewelry would bring more than scrapping it. It is working out well with sales of $1000 months common. Be sure to factor in the rent and the commisson the shop charges. I also approve a 5% discount if it is a big purchase. The shop owner will not discount any of my items marked "FIRM". I usually put in enough cheaper items to cover expenses and give the customers something to browse. Rotate the goods so the repeat customers have something new to look at. If they walk by the same stuff week after week, they'll stop looking at your cases. I enjoy doing this and the extra money lets me go to more auctions and garage sales. Sorry for being long winded........Good luck........

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've been selling at indoor flea markets for almost 9 years now.

I am happy to answer whatever questions you might have.

FWIW, those guys are right. In my experience, most people will look at the locked cases, but are generally reluctant to ask to have one opened. Of course, there are exceptions to this; for whatever reason, we did pretty well with a locked case located in one of our booths.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseyben said:
I think you confused people with your title. It sounds like you are selling at an antique center/mall, right? When you say flea market that is a completely different ball-game and people will respond differently to such an environment.
yes you are right Antique mall.. Down here where I live flea market an antquie mall is the exact same thing..sorry for the confusion...

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
nsdq said:
creeper71 said:
bazinga said:

where the flee market at ? green dragon ?
Green Dragon sucks plus it is 2 hrs from me

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
oroh2o said:
I started to sell in a better shop last year. I rented two glass display cases, 4' locked. Using this method to dispose of coins and jewelry, both found with detector and bought at auction. I figured the gold jewelry would bring more than scrapping it. It is working out well with sales of $1000 months common. Be sure to factor in the rent and the commisson the shop charges. I also approve a 5% discount if it is a big purchase. The shop owner will not discount any of my items marked "FIRM". I usually put in enough cheaper items to cover expenses and give the customers something to browse. Rotate the goods so the repeat customers have something new to look at. If they walk by the same stuff week after week, they'll stop looking at your cases. I enjoy doing this and the extra money lets me go to more auctions and garage sales. Sorry for being long winded........Good luck........
your not long winded your very helpful.. I am paying 60.00 month for a 4x4 foot built in case they automaticly take 10% off price anything over 10.00 before tax.. they claim they do not take commission that how they make there money is from rent alone.. I asked 4 times an they said all four time no we don't take commssion

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
My case is roughly 3' wide, 6' tall, & 12" deep with 6 shelves. It runs $55/month with no commission on sales. Mall policy is that customers can get a 10% discount on anything priced over $25 IF they ask. You can avoid that by marking FIRM on the price tag. The mall also takes 4% if the customer pays by credit card. As long as you know the rules up front you can price your stuff accordingly.

In my area gold jewelry is a tough sell. I do better selling it for scrap. I'm able to price common sterling jewelry 1.5-2 times spot. Junk silver US coins easily sell for more than spot & most numismatic items sell for ebay prices or better. Coins & jewelry make up about 70-80% of my sales. The other 20-30% is a mix of items ranging from pocket knives to art pottery. Volume wise these items take up more space & sell slower but my profit margin is a good bit higher.

The mall is a 5 minute drive from my house. I go by on Mondays to see if other vendors have put out anything I can make a dollar on & to check my booth. Fridays I take items up to restock for the weekend, to swap out enough items to keep the display fresh, & to see what other vendors have put out. Around 30% of what I make in a year comes from buying underpriced items from other vendors for resale so I'm at the mall twice a week anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread