67 KB · Views: 1,162

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I found this at the local flea,
Pretty big, Well made with stag handle, Aluminum butt and front flange but steel blade,
Can anyone tell me more about it?
Thank you
Peter
Hi Peter. Looks like a carving knife that has been cut down and well used. Probably came in a set with a two-prong meat fork that would have had the same handle. Very popular in the late 1940s-'50s

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respectfully disagree Terry. I don't believe this knife to be from a carving set. Although they were a popular item with the stag handles back in the day, the style of the knife itself is not right. It's too "stout". I've never seen a vintage carving knife with a butt cap or bolster of this style, nor a blade this wide at the bolster. The carving set knives are "dainty" and almost feminine (lol) in comparison to this knife.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I respectfully disagree Terry. I don't believe this knife to be from a carving set. Although they were a popular item with the stag handles back in the day, the style of the knife itself is not right. It's too "stout". I've never seen a vintage carving knife with a butt cap or bolster of this style, nor a blade this wide at the bolster. The carving set knives are "dainty" and almost feminine (lol) in comparison to this knife.

OK. Just relating past experience dealing these knives. You could be right.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blade looks to possibly be Damascus to me. Perhaps a really nice homemade hunting knife. Some will fetch a decent amount of money if well made.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, it just looks stained, not like Damascus. The blade is too thin to be anything other than a utility carving knife. No not really a "Bowie" knife, although the blade has been re cut to look like one. More of a "hunter" or "skinner" in that length, blade thickness and shape.

dubmurphy

Greenie
May 7, 2012
It is not damascus just aged carbon steal. Definately looks handmade and is a bowie-style knife and not to thin to be so. I have been into knife making for 16 years and have made a few similar pieces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread