diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a million to one shot but I figured i'd post it here anyway. I found an odd looking piece today. I bought it for $3. I have no idea what it is made of or what keywords to use to even attempt to identify the maker or the style or the age (i'm sure it's modern). I'm thinking it's a piece made by an artist that would have been sold at a gallery somewhere. The guy I bought it from said it was something his ex wife bought and didn't take with her when she left. He has know idea where she nought it or how much it cost her (or probably him). It is signed (I guess) in what appears to be black marker (unusual). It's made to look like something that came out of the ocean or something almost like a shell of some type with fake saltwater type crustaceans on it, but if you look closely you can see the whole piece is man made, maybe even plaster of paris. The center is glazed with 2 swimming fish depicted. It's approx. 14" x 10". It's so ugly that it's cool looking. Here are some pics-

100_6697.jpg 100_6703.jpg 100_6701.jpg 100_6699.jpg 100_6705.jpg 100_6702.jpg

Attachments

• 100_6706.jpg
    100_6706.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 186

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my first inpression was cross sec of a smokers lung

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , it looks like kiln fired porcelain . Once they apply the porcelain to the clay base , they add stuff like sawdust , iron filings , copper dust , etc . My daughter opened an art gallery in Camden , Me . last fall . here are a few pics I took .

Those square things are thick tiles , I think they were priced at $95.00 each .

I thought the skelleton was pretty cool - it was $900.00 . it's all welded peices of scrap iron , the ribs are horse shoes .

Attachments

• old salt 002.jpg
    old salt 002.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 201
  • old salt 003.jpg
    old salt 003.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 241
  • old salt 004.jpg
    old salt 004.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Dig, its called a designer fossil. for people who have an interest in fossils, but don't really care if they are real or not.....Had experiece with one of those at a market here in Texas. A vendor was trying to sell a masosaur jawbone and explained the whys and wherefores of them....goat

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig, its called a designer fossil. for people who have an interest in fossils, but don't really care if they are real or not.....Had experiece with one of those at a market here in Texas. A vendor was trying to sell a masosaur jawbone and explained the whys and wherefores of them....goat
I'll check it out and see what I can find thanks. I've emailed several local art galleries to see if they recognize anything about it. One of the reasons I bought it was because, several years ago (maybe 10 or so) I was doing a job at a local art gallery and this reminded me of some of the stuff they had there, "faux fossil" type of art. That stuff was priced in the thousands for some of it.

Sort of a "faux-sil" LOL Atleast that is what came to my mind. T.
Good one :laughing7: and appropriate!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE- I started another thread about this piece recently in the what is it forum. Figured I'd update this here- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...-t-know-how-describe-besides.html#post4818271

So I was searching google images this morning using keywords- abstract artisan koi bowl- and saw an image with a very similar signature on it-

s-l225.jpg

Turns out this is the same artist that made my piece! It is a piece made by Tony Evans and his stuff is collectible. Although ugly, I knew there was an undeniable talent involved in making this piece. That's why I shelled out $3 for it, lol.

About the artist- A Tribute to Anthony G. Evans: Materials Scientist and Engineer December; 4, 1942 to September 9, 2009 - A Tribute to Anthony G. Evans:*?*Princeton University ? Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering

Here is a similar bowl that sold for $99.95
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/TONY-EVANS-2...p2047675.l2557

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research. It does look to me like someone made a mold of a geode

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw it I thought geode, but then with your close-up I was thinking Japanese or Chinese Koi pond.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread