chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to several yard sales last few months and I found a few treasures... here are a couple of keepers I found last weekend.

obviously they are silver paid $2 for both but the one on the left looks hand/home made and might have a copper bezel... I think the stone is porcelain the clasp says .925 so its not hand/home made but the bezel sure looks like it. a slight copper color is coming through the bezel in some places... but he scratch on the bottom in the picture does not show copper... so I'm confused.

Chukers

silver.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing to be confused about. It's silverplate over copper. The scratch on the bottom almost looks like a seam.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing to be confused about. It's silverplate over copper. The scratch on the bottom almost looks like a seam.

then why is there a .925 on the clasp?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been replaced or it could have been to fool the original purchaser of the piece. Probably looked pretty good before all the plating wore off. You can clearly see the copper showing through on the bezel. The color alone on a streak test should give it away, without acid with all that color showing through. Blow your photo up and take a closer look.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Necklaces' catches were changed and left the .925 chains

Chukers,

Just last week, a local retirement/assisted living home had a garage sale.
Laying out in plain sight was a Baggie with two silver necklaces, but the catches
had turned copper colored. Like many others who most likely picked up the bag, I almost put it back down, too, because at first glance, they looked like costume jewelry.

As I looked at them closer, the silver Snake chains had ends with .925 stamped on them.
As I looked at them longer, I realized that someone had changed catches that looped into the necklaces' factory ends. The catches that were on the ends were ones that contained strong magnets. Could have been someone in the family change out the catches so the past owner could wear the chains and not have to latch them together with weak or painful hands.

I was lucky to get the chains at the price of little-to-nothing, in a bundle buy. It was a good weekend of silver finds, and I learned something that morning that I'll use in the future.

Bill

I hit the chains with a small file and the tester said they were an honest .925.

Attachments

• P1030393 (Medium).JPG
    P1030393 (Medium).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chukers,

Just last week, a local retirement/assisted living home had a garage sale.
Laying out in plain sight was a Baggie with two silver necklaces, but the catches
had turned copper colored. Like many others who most likely picked up the bag, I almost put it back down, too, because at first glance, they looked like costume jewelry.

As I looked at them closer, the silver Snake chains had ends with .925 stamped on them.
As I looked at them longer, I realized that someone had changed catches that looped into the necklaces' factory ends. The catches that were on the ends were ones that contained strong magnets. Could have been someone in the family change out the catches so the past owner could wear the chains and not have to latch them together with weak or painful hands.

I was lucky to get the chains at the price of little-to-nothing, in a bundle buy. It was a good weekend of silver finds, and I learned something that morning that I'll use in the future.

Bill

I hit the chains with a small file and the tester said they were an honest .925.

good lesson... I never thought about people repairing jewelry... I have before so why not... its very likely that a lot of the stuff I find/buy have silver clasps and rest is junk... I see yours was the other way around nice!

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread