Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a longshot -
I scored this nice hand blown pontilled jack in the pulpit vase today. I believe it is a Victorian era piece and I found a similar one made by Stevens & Williams. But it is not an exact match. Mine does not have the cross hatching on the body, nor is it vaseline glass. Mine has a plain body with opalescent (translucent) jadeite green color. The top is more ruffled with the same deep oxblood coloring.
100_6981a.jpg 100_6986a.jpg 100_6977a.jpg

Here is the link to the similar one- Verre D`Art - JACK IN THE PULPIT VASES scroll down to Stevens & Williams

Any ideas on a maker? Boston Sandwich maybe?

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Steven & Williams sure does look close, but not quite there. Of course, with these kinds of vases there could be 1000 different little variations. Just to throw you in another direction, here is a similar one from Fenton: Cased Glass JIP Vase, (Glass - Fenton Glass) at Globe Antiques & Collectables

I don't have any books off the top of my head, though, that could help with this one unless it actually is Fenton, but that does look much older than 1940s just based on the pics.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, this ones gonna be hard to nail down. As you said, there could be 1000 different little variations with a handblown piece like this. I never thought of Fenton. I actually purchased a Fenton Rosalene JIP vase at the same house today, but it's newer since Rosalene has only been around since the late 70's I believe. It's that see through "jadeite" color with the blueish hue that is throwing me off. The whole piece is translucent and pretty thin/delicate. The red coloring doesn't actually fade to black, it's a deep blood red, just looks black in the photo. Thanks for the input. I'll keep digging.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glass itself looks closer to Bristol glass than 1940s Fenton, especially after you said it's thin/delicate.

If you do find a positive ID, be sure to post it here since I'd like to learn a little more about this kind of glassware.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
To bad they don't mark most glass the way they do porcelain. Most glass just gets a paper tag stuck on and that usually dissapears. I know that before I started collecting, I would always take the stickers off. Now I just do that with made in China stickers.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I saw that too. Thanks

To bad they don't mark most glass the way they do porcelain. Most glass just gets a paper tag stuck on and that usually dissapears. I know that before I started collecting, I would always take the stickers off. Now I just do that with made in China stickers.
I hear ya. That's why it pays to "know your glass," because most people don't. That's how you score nice pieces for pennies on the dollar. I've still got a lot to learn myself but i'm working at it. I just wish the prices of certain pieces were still getting what they got 15-20 years ago (b4ebay). Most stuff goes for a fraction of what it used to (this goes for pottery too).

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like I found a match! It appears it's not English but American. I have found 2 that are listed the same way and they both look about as close to mine as you can get. It was made by Hobbs Brockunier & Co. (Wheeling WV), ca. 1870s-1890's, color is referred to as Rubina, which is an opaline green. The crest is oxblood.

This one is listed as Rubina Verde but according to my research the "Verde" should be more yellow on the bottom.
This looks dead on-
Hobbs Brockunier Rubina Verde Jack In The Pulpit Vase Ribbon Candy Edge MINT! | eBay

Here is a little info. on the company- The* antiquaraina

I'm still not 100% convinced though. I will contact the buyer and ask how he is sure it is what he claims it to be. You know Ebay, they see someone listed something one way and then they follow suit as if it is true.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent a message to the seller. The more I look, the more I think it is not by Hobbs. It looks nothing like any of their other wares that I can find. I think the guy copycatted the old Ebay listing from 2009 here- 1890 HOBBS BROCKUNIER JACK-IN-THE PULPIT ART GLASS V (07/07/2009)... These are the only 2 examples I have found. I would expect to find something similar to this piece if nothing else. Waiting on a response. Unless he tells me it is listed in the ID Guide then it's back to the drawing board.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig's 7th pic down on this link Oxblood | Glass
Another close one but the bottom of the Boston and Sandwich is white and the top is yellow.
Thanks for the effort, I appreciate it. I haven't ruled it out. I'm still waiting on the ebay seller to message me back on the one from earlier today I found. They sell alot of glass so they may have the book I was referring to in a previous post. It is a match but I don't believe everything I read on Ebay. I sent him the message at 9:38 this morning so I would hope to get an answer tonight sometime, if not then they aren't much of a seller.

Edit- This was why I mentioned Boston and Sandwich in my original post - http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-jack-pulpit-glass-vase-boston-sandwich

But then it says circa 1890, they weren't even in business any longer at that date, go figure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread