OP
OP
frankendime

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
This is where I bought my last one, he's the cheapest on Ebay in the US. 6 Gold Testing Acid Jewelry Test Kit and Scratch Stone Detect Check Metals LOT | eBay

BTW- Your gold guy is getting a good deal paying you 63% or so of spot price. Not as bad as some of them out there though, I guess.

Thanks for the info. Yea he is about the same as others, but I like the old man and trying to establish a relationship with him. I would not let him have my sterling at scrap price. His daughter bought a sterling bracelet and toe ring off me at above spot so everybody was happy.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen a lot of those older frames that are GF. I am surprised it was actually 10k, unless your gold buyer made a mistake.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It's entirely possible your scrap man made a mistake. I've tested a LOT of those & almost every one turned out to be gold fill. You really have to file a good bit off before you hit the base metal.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, most are gold filled or plated but I had a pair of solids once myself, they were marked in a couple spots though.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Last week out of curiosity I looked up gold filled scrap on ebay. Sure enough even gold filled scrap goes for decent money. I am starting to stockpile pieces of GF jewelry and see if I can move a lot when I get about 100 grams or so. Of course I need to pick it up cheap enough to be worth while but if I can get a piece for a dollar and it weighs 5 grams or better I think it will pay off nicely. I did pick up a pair of 1/10 12k gf glasses the other day for $2.50. They weigh 21 grams with the lenses in them. GF scrap seems to be just as good as 925 scrap these days.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week out of curiosity I looked up gold filled scrap on ebay. Sure enough even gold filled scrap goes for decent money. I am starting to stockpile pieces of GF jewelry and see if I can move a lot when I get about 100 grams or so. Of course I need to pick it up cheap enough to be worth while but if I can get a piece for a dollar and it weighs 5 grams or better I think it will pay off nicely. I did pick up a pair of 1/10 12k gf glasses the other day for $2.50. They weigh 21 grams with the lenses in them. GF scrap seems to be just as good as 925 scrap these days.
Shhhh... quiet, your not supposed to let the cat out of the bag.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks diggummup for the gold test kit sight,just bought one,have wanted one for a while.The ones I've seen where around 50 dollars,1695.was a great price again thanks.leprechaun.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So GF is about a dollar a gram?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So GF is about a dollar a gram?
Midwest advertises as- "All gold-filled material purchased outright at 7% of the spot price PER POUND."
That equals out to about $800 a pound.

However here is a calculator that gives you the actual melt value based on what type of gold fill you have (ie- 1/10 of 14k etc.)- Gold Filled Calculator

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions