Sunday yard sale finds

robtx38

Greenie
Jul 17, 2011
I was passing a yard sale that was closing up. I didnt see it Saturday, the lady said it was a Sunday only thing. Most of her stuff was clothes and large furniture, but on one small table she had a few different items. I found a nice Schrade Old-Timer Honesteel sharpening stone and a silver pedestal dish. I couldnt read the back of the dish but I knew it was stamped with something. She said $1 each and I shelled out the 2 bucks and left. What I'm reading on the silver is "KMK (with the last k backwards) sterling reinforced with cement 696". The pedestal has weight to it, so I'm guessing thats where the cement is? I'm not sure if I should melt it or sell it...Thanks Rob

001-24.jpg

002-29.jpg

003-27.jpg

006-19.jpg

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it. Use it as a change tray on your computer desk or something similar. Slowly over time make everything in your house high end. :)

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
you probly have around 1.75-2.5 troy ounces of sterling after you tear it apart an remove cement.. IF you was to tear it apart use gloves cause the sterling is alot sharper then a razors edge..

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The maker is not a famous known maker, so scrapping it out won't hurt. You should be able to take a very small straight slot screwdriver or an old knife and pry open the bottom ring. The cement should fall right out. As creeper says though, be careful, it is pretty sharp. Using the honesteel for size comparison (7"), I think the bowl will weigh 4 oz.+ myself. Nice find.

clorox- yes that would be a pattern number more than likely.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
The maker is not a famous known maker, so scrapping it out won't hurt. You should be able to take a very small straight slot screwdriver or an old knife and pry open the bottom ring. The cement should fall right out. As creeper says though, be careful, it is pretty sharp. Using the honesteel for size comparison (7"), I think the bowl will weigh 4 oz.+ myself. Nice find.

clorox- yes that would be a pattern number more than likely.
I must have been more tired then I thought lastnight.. When looking at this again I see it is alot bigger then I thought an more closer to Dig's guessimate then mine... bowl alone is a good 2.5-3 troy ounce I would think

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That looks like a 6" diameter by 2.5-3.25" high candy dish. I would estimate between 1.35-1.8 ozt scrapped.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright the bottom looks similar to the thin salt and peppers I have so i'm gonna change my guess to somewhere between 3-4 oz.:laughing7:. Now you have to tear out the bottom and weigh it up.

Here is a set of once weighted salt & peppers that are nearly "aluminum can" thin, 5" tall they weigh an ounce a piece.

100_7210.jpg

Here is a much smaller 3" tall by 2 3/4" wide, though somewhat thicker creamer, it weighs 5 oz.

100_7211.jpg

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't have photos but I do keep a book with what weighted items scrap out at. I'm still assuming this dish is 5-6" diameter by 2.5-3.25" tall. If it is my book shows weights that range from 29-45 dwt, with most being at the lower end of that. I guess we'll never know unless the OP scraps this one out.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right about that. It doesn't really matter, I just thought it'd be fun to know since we have 3 diff. guesses on it.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It would be fun to find out. I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong......it wouldn't be the first time. If I'd had to guess on the items in your pics I'd have gone 18 dwt each on the shakers(seen a LOT of those), the creamer I'd have guessed 40-60 dwt.

OP
OP
R

robtx38

Greenie
Jul 17, 2011
I plan on scrapping them...the width at the top is approx 7 1/4" and it stands approx 3 1/4" tall. I'll weigh it this weekend. I do A/C work for a living and here in Texas I'm woking my butt off, trying to get caught up so I can hit more yard sales Saturday :icon_thumleft:.

OP
OP
R

robtx38

Greenie
Jul 17, 2011
Well I opened up the bottom and pulled out the cement. The final weight is 2.98 ozt. So thats over $70 at the current market...Not bad for a $1 investment

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The diameter is slightly larger than I thought.......but I still would have put it below 2 ozt scrapped. Great buy for $1.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on scrapping them...the width at the top is approx 7 1/4" and it stands approx 3 1/4" tall. I'll weigh it this weekend. I do A/C work for a living and here in Texas I'm woking my butt off, trying to get caught up so I can hit more yard sales Saturday :icon_thumleft:.
:laughing7: I'm barely working lately but so far I haven't had to sell any silver. :icon_thumright: I did sell a few small broken gold lots on Ebay, .99 cent starting bids. Made more than spot value after fees, go figure. Good luck at the sales. I'm hoping it doesn't rain again this weekend, planning on having my own garage sale if it doesn't.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does "reinforced with cement" mean? I'm guessing 686 is the pattern number.

The "Reinforced" part means they use some junk metal to toughen a transition joint. I've found companies that have used plain old common nails, or a short U-shaped piece of metal at the joint between the base and the stem.

Unless it is a short, small, one piece Sterling salt and pepper shaker, most tall ones have a glass container inside the thin Sterling skin. I advise you to either cover the shaker with a thick shop towel or wear safety glasses while shattering the glass with several blows of the hammer.

I've learned to use a flat screwdriver to pry away the stamped base cover and start the cement removal after I've used a good claw hammer to shatter the resin/cement filler. Then, I use a pair of normal slip-jaw pliers in each hand to pull apart the silver skins. It's soft enough to fool you, but sharp enough to give you a clean sliced cut in a split second. Using pliers in each hand keep the fingers and skin far enough away for a reasonable amount of safety....

A short pair of "Sterling Weighted" candlestick holders for $5 will get you about $50+ in silver.

Keep huntin',
Bill

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found an almost identical bowl at Goodwill today for $2.. But mine has a different hallmark. Anybody recognize it?

Attachments

• DSC01124.JPG
    DSC01124.JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01123.JPG
    DSC01123.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 132

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread