Sterling Weighted Candlestick Holders

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought 2 sets of Sterling Weighted CS Holders $30 each

1st sets weighs at 187 grams each - pulled apart one and I'm getting 17 grams of sterling so I can most likely expect the same out of the other one
2nd set weighs at 230 grams each - should I also expect less than 20% of this weight will be silver?

I thought I was getting a good deal but after taking all the stuff out of them and the silver being so thin I pretty much paid melt for them.

Lesson learned and it really didn't cost me anything but I was just amazed at how little silver is in each one. Does everyone find this to be the norm?

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is the norm now that u have the truth about weighted candlestick holders now u can buy with knowledge, another good one, is sterling knives the blade is stainless steel and the handle is plaster or resin filled so beware

OP
OP
P

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look up the maker before you tore them apart?? cause some are worth alot more then melt value based on the makers

The one that I tore apart was marked Preisner Sterling Weighted, the other heavier ones are marked Duchin Creation.

OP
OP
P

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is the norm now that u have the truth about weighted candlestick holders now u can buy with knowledge, another good one, is sterling knives the blade is stainless steel and the handle is plaster or resin filled so beware

It would be tuff to make any money on these things unless you are picking them up for $15 a set. I'll still keep my eye out for them and be a buyer as long as the price is right. I'm holding onto the silver and hopefully the spot price will go up so I can turn a profit.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have torn apart many of those and the average is 10% silver & 90% resin. so you were right in there. I always try to pay $5 each, but have paid a lot less.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never paid more than $10 a pair either for the short kind, I usually get them for $5. I found a pair of dented up, Gorham Sterling sticks yesterday at a sale. The homeowner sees them and goes,
"oh, those are real silver, i'm not selling those, I can sell them for the weight, where did you find those at?" (uh, in this box here :icon_scratch:???)
I explained to him approx. how much they would weigh after he removed the concrete from the bottoms and offered him $10, he still didn't want to part with them. Ironically, there wasn't anything else there worth buying, so I walked away empty handed. To beat it all, he lived in a $500k+ house.

I made up for it today though. I bought about 15 lbs of "junk" costume jewelry in ziplock bags ( a mini version of your hoard cyberdan), I pulled about 3 ozs. of Sterling and a couple ounces of 1/20 14k gold filled stuff, not to mention several signed pieces that are worth selling too. The bags were $1 each and there were 8 of them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why you guys scrap them you can sell them more for candlesticks.
Of course you can usually, but not when they are all dented up, certain makers being the exception even with damage.

Come on man, give us a little credit. traylersmiley.gif

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never paid more than $10 a pair either for the short kind, I usually get them for $5. I found a pair of dented up, Gorham Sterling sticks yesterday at a sale. The homeowner sees them and goes,
"oh, those are real silver, i'm not selling those, I can sell them for the weight, where did you find those at?" (uh, in this box here :icon_scratch:???)
I explained to him approx. how much they would weigh after he removed the concrete from the bottoms and offered him $10, he still didn't want to part with them. Ironically, there wasn't anything else there worth buying, so I walked away empty handed. To beat it all, he lived in a $500k+ house.

I made up for it today though. I bought about 15 lbs of "junk" costume jewelry in ziplock bags ( a mini version of your hoard cyberdan), I pulled about 3 ozs. of Sterling and a couple ounces of 1/20 14k gold filled stuff, not to mention several signed pieces that are worth selling too. The bags were $1 each and there were 8 of them.

Diggummup and CyberDan Do you both save the gold filled jewelry? I have about half a pound or so of various gold filled, 1/20 gold filled pieces in 10k, 14k and 18k. Whats the deal with this kind of stuff? How much do you save before selling it and who do you sell to?

OP
OP
P

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made out on this other one I found. It was the same height as the others but weighed 387 grams. I got 37 grams of sterling from it for $15 so I at least made a little money on that one. The silver skin was 2 x as thick as the others I tore apart. I was happy.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i save gold filled, when i send silver to the refiner i send gold filled and it's a couple extra bucks i get back

OP
OP
P

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i save gold filled, when i send silver to the refiner i send gold filled and it's a couple extra bucks i get back
How much do you save up before sending in? You can get about 90% back from what you melt correct?

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i send a couple of pounds but it takes alot to make an ounce, maybe a little more than 90%

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggummup and CyberDan Do you both save the gold filled jewelry? I have about half a pound or so of various gold filled, 1/20 gold filled pieces in 10k, 14k and 18k. Whats the deal with this kind of stuff? How much do you save before selling it and who do you sell to?
I save all gold filled items, I haven't found that much though, I have maybe 8 ounces and haven't sold any of it yet. Here is a calculator that gives actual gold filled scrap values- Gold Filled Calculator

PS- Besides jewelry, keep a lookout for old pocket watch cases and certain ink pens and mechanical pencils, many of them can be gold filled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions