Old thrashed 1950s sewing machine...

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thrashed 1950's sewing machine...

Sometimes I buy old sewing machines, fix them and resell. Recently I picked up a Japanese Singer clone in poor shape in a cabinet. It would require extensive work to fix, but the parts I wanted were in the drawers. A Bernina accessories box with feet, tools, and other items Bernina. And a Bernina foot pedal and the power/foot pedal attachment cord. Price for all:$20. Plus, they threw in some books I wanted for free. The box of feet etc brought $50 on ebay and the footpedal and cord brought another $30. Plus I'll donate the actual machine and cabinet to goodwill and take that off my taxes. It's actually a nice cabinet but the machine itself is shot. (And I get to read the books for free!)

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I've bought and restored several of those. It does suprise me though just how cheap people will sell the attachments for. Some of the original attachments are quite valuable. A walking foot for example. Keep up the good work.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a quilter and belong to another forum (quilt related). There are folks on that forum who buy old machines in ANY condition and refurbish them. 99% become loved additions to their households, some just are used for parts. PM me if you are interested in the link to this other forum. I am not sure if I am allowed to post it publically, although there is no conflict with MD or treasure hunting. Still haven't figured out how to combine quilting and treasure, but I'm trying!

Anita

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a quilter and belong to another forum (quilt related). There are folks on that forum who buy old machines in ANY condition and refurbish them. 99% become loved additions to their households, some just are used for parts. PM me if you are interested in the link to this other forum. I am not sure if I am allowed to post it publically, although there is no conflict with MD or treasure hunting. Still haven't figured out how to combine quilting and treasure, but I'm trying!

Anita

There is no way they could buy all of the old machines that are out there. There's just too many. I've got an old one that I assume is around the 1920s or so that I plan on tossing into the trash or maybe seeing if the scrap yard will take it.

Now I'm sure they are happy to buy featherweights in any condition. But around here, old Singers and other brands are a dime a dozen.

chrisjay

Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For such kind of work, I've a shop where i sell sewing machines after restoring them.
Now I'm launching my business online. You'll see soon.

Last edited:

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dime a dozen---same thing here. Almost every estate sale has one or two offered up. I've never been there when one was sold. Come to think of it I haven't seen one in any of the many antique shops I've visited. Must be a zillion of them out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread