Items to keep a look out for

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I never in a million years would have guessed that cereal boxes would have so much value. I happened to be looking for some pictures for a project, and I found a guy with a flikr page who documented his cereal box finds. One of the comments on one said something along the lines of "nice, saw one of those on ebay for $500!" My ears perked up at the word ebay, I looked it up, and lo and behold there was another whole market I had never even considered.

Here's another super random one, especially for those of you who visit thrift stores. I'm a big hat collector, so i always check the hat sections at thrift stores. I was at a tiny charity run thrift store in Boston over thanksgiving, and I was in the hats, as usual. They were $1 a piece, and I saw a rolex baseball cap in the pile. Just for the heck of it I bought it, even though I don't wear hats like it. I figured I could get a few bucks at the very least. Once I got home, I was shocked to find the exact same hat in the sold listings:

$70 Free SHIP Bargain Awesome Green White Rolex Cap Adjustable Mint | eBay

Maybe I was just lucky, but I think hats like this are a pretty good bet and not super hard to find. Any hat made by a luxury brand of anything will probably do well, between $20 and $50, and they are rarely more than a dollar or two. Pretty easy $1 turned into a potential $70!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I never in a million years would have guessed that cereal boxes would have so much value. I happened to be looking for some pictures for a project, and I found a guy with a flikr page who documented his cereal box finds. One of the comments on one said something along the lines of "nice, saw one of those on ebay for $500!" My ears perked up at the word ebay, I looked it up, and lo and behold there was another whole market I had never even considered.

Here's another super random one, especially for those of you who visit thrift stores. I'm a big hat collector, so i always check the hat sections at thrift stores. I was at a tiny charity run thrift store in Boston over thanksgiving, and I was in the hats, as usual. They were $1 a piece, and I saw a rolex baseball cap in the pile. Just for the heck of it I bought it, even though I don't wear hats like it. I figured I could get a few bucks at the very least. Once I got home, I was shocked to find the exact same hat in the sold listings:

$70 Free SHIP Bargain Awesome Green White Rolex Cap Adjustable Mint | eBay

Maybe I was just lucky, but I think hats like this are a pretty good bet and not super hard to find. Any hat made by a luxury brand of anything will probably do well, between $20 and $50, and they are rarely more than a dollar or two. Pretty easy $1 turned into a potential $70!
That's funny, I just sold 2 baseball caps. One for $40 and one for $20. Miami Heat and Harley. Paid 2 for $5. Look at this puppy- BNWT Monster Energy New Era Snapback Trucker Hat Cap | eBay

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
That's funny, I just sold 2 baseball caps. One for $40 and one for $20. Miami Heat and Harley. Paid 2 for $5. Look at this puppy- BNWT Monster Energy New Era Snapback Trucker Hat Cap | eBay

WTF?! I thought this HAD to be an outlier. NOPE. I just did an ebay search using the phrase "Monster Energy New Era Snapback hat" and displayed the completed listings. There are 14 items on the list, 12 of which very similar to the one you linked to, diggummup. Every single one of them sold. The cheapest one sold for $167.50. Can somebody please explain why a person would pay $200+ for one of these hats.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the style G, know what i'm sayin yo. LOL.
I can only guess that it's a hip hop thing. Not the hat logo but the reason it sells for so much, if that makes any sense.

Quick search... I think it may be a promo type hat only given to certain people, sponsors or something. I did a google image search and found many of them but only 1 in that style. He says it was given to him by an athlete friend who is sponsored by them. 'Monster Energy' New Era Cap 100 Genuine from Sponsored Athlete | eBay

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumping an ancient thread, but it's a good one that I discovered recently. All you guys who find computer stuff and do e-scrap, keep an eye out for IBM model M keyboards. You could probably find them for nothing most places, and it looks like they sell pretty well!

ibm model m | eBay

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Beach has mentioned hats before. How do you know what is good or not? I've seen hats a few times, but never took them because when I looked up that hat on ebay it went for like $20. Also, Beachkid23 mentioned belts. What would I look for in that?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach has mentioned hats before. How do you know what is good or not? I've seen hats a few times, but never took them because when I looked up that hat on ebay it went for like $20. Also, Beachkid23 mentioned belts. What would I look for in that?

I sell a lot of hats, and they can be tricky, but also can be great easy money. Honestly just sift through the sold listings on ebay to see what sells. I was just following this one, unbelievable.

Vintage Copenhagen Hat Painters Hat 1980's United States Tobacco Co Advertising | eBay

Belts I'm not super knowledgeable about, I once sold a older ralph lauren belt for $45 and a vineyard vines belt for $35 but I'm hardly an expert. I would say look for belts that are made of thick, genuine leather and you'll probably do ok.

Also here's another one to look out for, Ghurka bags, I just got a tiny one at a thrift store last weekend for next to nothing and it looks like it should bring $70+. Their only markings are a tiny seal so they're easy to pass up. I bought mine because the leather was really nice and was pleasantly surprised when I got home.

ghurka leather | eBay

Last edited:

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's an oddball item that surprised me in terms of end sale price on ebay. Its a plastic ruler we picked up for .50 cents at a flea market in southwest Jersey. Vintage 1968 Acrylic Mechanical Calculator "SEE" with stylus - Adding Machine | eBay

Anyone have any other oddball items to look out for?

The MTG cards was not something I was on top of until reading it here on this forum.

yes the MTG cards alpah beta revised and all expansions within those releases are all good but the ones to really look for are the dual land cards. They sell for hundreds if you have a nice grouping.

Here is a full set that will sell for over $1000

Magic The Gathering Complete Set of All 10 Dual Lands Revised MTG | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread