Items to keep a look out for

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you see my post about old cans of spray paint (The ones with the dutch boy on the paper label)?

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you see my post about old cans of spray paint (The ones with the dutch boy on the paper label)?

No - that's an awesome tip though. I just checked it out.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can't figure out what is actually driving the price.

Neither I. I would guess that it has something to do with the grafitti art counter culture movement from that era. They could be perceived as artifacts of a time before gentrification became the norm in a lot of our cities. Think the gangs from "Death Wish".

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
People; you, me and everyone else collect "crap". Oh, I mean wonderful things. People will buy anything because they or a friend collect it. I have sold broken figurines, one I gave to a woman. It was in terrible shape and I laughed after she left. My friend explained that to her it was probably the nicest thing she had ever owned. The paint collectors may have auto shops or may be spray heads. We'll never know. I have bought and sold auto junk, oil cans, broken knives, souvenir ashtrays, worn out cowboy boots and the list goes on. One man's trash and so on.
Made money on all of it. My friend and partner used to find old rusty fences and then take old wood, wrap it with rusted barbed wire, tie a feather on it and ask $150. They all sold for $100 or more. People collect and pay anything if they want it. Then some end up on Hoarding: Buried Alive. AND, at least down here, prices seem to be steadily rising.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People; you, me and everyone else collect "crap". Oh, I mean wonderful things. People will buy anything because they or a friend collect it. I have sold broken figurines, one I gave to a woman. It was in terrible shape and I laughed after she left. My friend explained that to her it was probably the nicest thing she had ever owned. The paint collectors may have auto shops or may be spray heads. We'll never know. I have bought and sold auto junk, oil cans, broken knives, souvenir ashtrays, worn out cowboy boots and the list goes on. One man's trash and so on.
Made money on all of it. My friend and partner used to find old rusty fences and then take old wood, wrap it with rusted barbed wire, tie a feather on it and ask $150. They all sold for $100 or more. People collect and pay anything if they want it. Then some end up on Hoarding: Buried Alive. AND, at least down here, prices seem to be steadily rising.

I hear you austin. And I agree with what you're saying - one man's trash is another man's treasure. But think about it this way as well. There are thousands of items in the average estate sale - from dental floss to gold coins. Only a small percentage of those items can be READILY marketed for a substantial profit. The rest of them, even if purchased for pennies, could not be sold quickly and efficiently for a profit. It seems that for items to sell readily, say on ebay, you need to have a large base of people seeking an item for which there is a fairly limited quantity (be that artificially or truly limited). Large groups of people usually have a motive for seeking out particular items. For example, dorothy thorpe rolly poly glasses were impossible to sell before the TV series "Mad Men" made them and every other mid-century artifact the must have item for the generation currently entering its peak earning years. Understanding the phenom / movement that is driving an item's price is helpful because it clues you in to a general style of item rather than any one spefic item. If I see a very mid-century / danish modern looking lamp, bowl, brooch --- I know its probably going to sell even if I'm not familiar with that particular item - because it fits within a now very popular artistic/architectural movement

When that fad dies out, the dorothy thorpe glasses will be impossible to sell again. What we are trying to figure out, is what is the phenomenon or movement that is driving the sale of the spray paint. There is certainly something behind it. You have dozens of bidders driving the prices on these spray paint cans into the stratosphere. If you search past auction records, you will see it started to get crazy fairly recently - say 2008. What made these cans go from EPA disposal nightmares to prized collectibles. I'd love to know. It's inherently interesting, and if you can find out, it helps you identify other items responsive to the same movement that can also be sold. Maybe all grafitti related stuff is really hot right now.

Two cents!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original graffiti subculture has now "come of age" so to speak, as mentioned by randazzo. Here is an interesting write up- History of Graffiti Some of those OG artists now spray on canvas for big bucks.
'The History of American Graffiti': <br> From Subway Car to Gallery | Art Beat | PBS NewsHour | PBS
They don't make cans like they used to. Rustoleum’s New Cap & the Demise Of American Spray Paint : Illadel Graff Life

BTW- Ben, I've been on the lookout for vintage spray cans since you posted that, I've yet to find a single one and i'm in estate close outs every weekend. I think many people, even the companies that do estate sales, just throw that kind of stuff out, not realizing that it has value.

edit- spelling

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Interesting tip on the spray cans & something I'll keep an eye out for. How exactly do you ship them? Every time I mail a package at the post office they ask me if it's "Liquid, Fragile, Hazardous....." It seems like a pressurized, flammable can would fall into that category.

Borden-Stock

Aug 7, 2012
South Philly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original graffiti subculture has now "come of age" so to speak, as mentioned by randazzo. Here is an interesting write up- History of Graffiti Some of those OG artists now spray on canvas for big bucks.
'The History of American Graffiti': <br> From Subway Car to Gallery | Art Beat | PBS NewsHour | PBS
They don't make cans like they used to. Rustoleum’s New Cap & the Demise Of American Spray Paint : Illadel Graff Life

BTW- Ben, I've been on the lookout for vintage spray cans since you posted that, I've yet to find a single one and i'm in estate close outs every weekend. I think many people, even the companies that do estate sales, just through that kind of stuff out, not realizing that it has value.

...just wanted to chime in here (you linked the Rustoleum article from my blog)- what sells right now, as far as the vintage spray cans, are the cans...older the better..all kinds/brands.
also the can racks, signs, color charts, etc...
all the old stuff sells quickly but you'll get the most money from old Borden-stock Krylon(Borden made Krylon before Sherwin-Williams bought the company), Red Devil and old Rustoleum with the Scottie (face) on the can.
I collect vintage spraycans...have been for years and I KNEW estate sales where a great spot to find some...I know there's some buried treasure there...I recently sold a 1963 Red Devil can for $400.00...it killed me to sell it but in the end it's ONLY a can of paint and $400 looks better to me than a can of paint and the money allowed me to buy a certain color I've been hunting for a year.
some cans are worth upwards of $300-$600 if they're in decent condition...
if anyone has/comes across any vintage cans I'll buy em...just inbox me...glad I found this forum.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting tip on the spray cans & something I'll keep an eye out for. How exactly do you ship them? Every time I mail a package at the post office they ask me if it's "Liquid, Fragile, Hazardous....." It seems like a pressurized, flammable can would fall into that category.
you can ship, but it has to be ground shipping only.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...just wanted to chime in here (you linked the Rustoleum article from my blog)- what sells right now, as far as vintage spray cans, are the cans...older the better..all kinds/brands.
also the can racks, signs, color charts, etc...
all the old stuff sells quickly but you'll get the most money from old Borden-stock Krylon(Borden made Krylon before Sherwin-Williams bought the company), Red Devil and old Rustoleum with the Scottie (face) on the can.
I collect vintage spraycans...have been for years and I KNEW estate sales where a great spot to find some...I know there's some buried treasure there...I recently sold a 1963 Red Devil can for $400.00...it killed me to sell it but in the end it's ONLY a can of paint and $400 looks better to me than a can of paint and the money allowed me to buy a certain color I've been hunting for a year.
some cans are worth upwards of $300-$600 if they're in decent condition...
if anyone has/comes across any vintage cans I'll buy em...just inbox me...glad I found this forum.
So would an empty can sell for as much as a full one?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would an empty can sell for as much as a full one?

I hope he comes back here to post to educate us about WHY these cans are collectible. I clicked on some links and some had grading scales based on condition and how much paint was left in the can.

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
Not sure if it has been mentioned on here before, but Fisher Price Little People can bring a nice profit, old and new can be sold in large lots if bought cheap. The old stuff can sell really well if in good condition and complete sets!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an item today 1- because it was new and still shrink wrap sealed and 2- because it was only a dollar, and i'm a sucker for a dollar bargain. It was a Jenga game. But it was the wooden book display box edition sold "exclusively at Target" in 2007. Who'd a thunk it?

NIB VINTAGE JENGA BOARD GAME WOODEN BOOK DISPLAY BOX COLLECTION 2007 MOHOGANY 653569271253 | eBay

Very cool! Here's another one that sold for $100.00 NIB JENGA GAME PART OF VINTAGE GAME COLLECTION IN WOODEN BOOK DISPLAY BOX 2007 653569271253 | eBay

I'm taking a look at the rest of the series --- looks like they all sell very well. Thanks for the awesome tip.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread