cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not positive that this is wood, I would like to know how old it is, if anyone has a photo of something similar. Up by the top where the nail goes it looks like there is a red oval mark on it, but I can't identify any makers mark in it. The dimensions are on the photos.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• DSCN9400.JPG
    DSCN9400.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 941

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red oval is just from a bracket that it was hung from. Looks like a copy, made from imitation wood, but you should be able to tell, easier than us looking at a photo.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance I thought it was OrnaWood, but the back of this piece looks different from a pair of OrnaWood bookends that I have. Then again, my bookends look like they have some sort of coating on the back. I haven't been able to quickly find much info on OrnaWood except a neat newspaper add from 1942 stating pieces cost 25c, 50c, $1 and $2.50-no pics though.

Nice piece and the one that mjlalt found is very close and sold for an ok amount.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the link, I really appreciate it. I have been able to find many similar items with the help of you and Catorbra.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red oval is just from a bracket that it was hung from. Looks like a copy, made from imitation wood, but you should be able to tell, easier than us looking at a photo.

One would think it would be easier for me, but if I knew what it was... I wouldn't have put it on here! From what I learned I think it is wood and resin mix. Thanks for replying!

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a wooden plaque of the "Sacred Heart of Jesus". Most likely the back would have had a felt like substance glued to it so it wouldn't scratch the wall where it was hanging. They tore down a rather large Catholic Church in Fort Wayne, Indiana a few years ago after a fire destroyed most of it. Many of the religious items such as these were given to the community before the demolition began.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback. I am all kinds of familiar with the green felt, everything my Grandma owned had it on it! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions