Is it normal for sterling to pull gently to a rare earth magnet?

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several confirmed sterling pieces (marked silverware, jewelry, etc) that gives a gentle tug to a rare earth magnet. Theres no pull from a normally strong magnet. This isn't just a strong magnet, its dangerously strong enough to take fingers off. :) Anyway why do Us nickels not pull to it but 92.5% silver does? Is that 7.5% not nickel but possibly steel?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a number of pieces that do the same thing. A few I am certain are real sterling. Not really sure of the cause. Something ferrous in the alloy?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Good article, although the title you used to describe it doesnt make sense.

I think we have all found several items boldly marked 925 to be attracted to a magnet. Most sources say sterling should never stick to a magnet, ever. But, I think the question remains as to what alloys have been used in sterling besides silver. I think that is essentially what the article above states.

I have not yet come across any solid evidence or findings that state whether or not silver can be alloyed with another metal that could be atrracted to a magnet.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had sterling peices pull to a magnet before. I know they were real silver too, because the pawn shop guy tested them and then baught them. I think sometimes they use other metals than just tin to mix the silver with, and sometimes they are magnetic. I've even seen some gold do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread