Most valuable thing Ive gotten at garage sales: Phone Numbers!

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most valuable thing I've gotten at garage sales: Phone Numbers!

No, we're not talking "Call Me Maybe" here. It's just that when I ask at sales if they have any coins, I often get a response that yes, they do have coins, but they are not out and ready for sale for whatever reason.

Usually if I suggest we trade phone numbers and maybe get together later, people are happy to do so.

Funny thing is, it's RARE that the potential seller ever calls me. I usually wait about 10 days, and then call them. Sometimes it takes several calls over a few months before they are actually ready to sell, but it generally pays off. (Many people end up chickening out, but that's to be expected.)

Some weeks I'll go to a bunch of sales and not have any luck finding anything interesting. But then, a few weeks ago, I wound up getting eight people's phone numbers!

I've managed to get some great deals, but I feel like the sellers are getting a decent deal too. Often they will ask for something that's based on a slightly obsolete value; other times I will show them what the "gold and silver buyers" are offering for their kind of stuff. I also tell the sellers that I go to garage sales so that I can get a better deal, closer to "wholesale", than I can get by buying the coins at retail.

So my advice is -- if you are on the lookout for coins at garage sales, and if they say that they don't have the coins right there, get their phone number, and follow up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread