Lot of Sterling Silverware - Where to sell?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where you are at but ARA is a good place to go. I prefer to take my finds in person. ARA is too far to drive. I get paranoid that my shipments will never make it, but never had a problem yet.

OP
OP
mjlalt

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Massachusetts
So ARA is a bit of a drive :laughing7: but I wouldn't be opposed to shipping it.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I prefer to work with DWT so I may not be 100% correct but your math is off. There are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce so you have slightly over 18 ozt. Sterling averages out at 90% pure so that works out to about 16.2 ozt of pure. About the best you will get from a refiner will be 90% of spot.

If you live in a large enough city there will be 1 or 2 guys that will match that. I live in a small town & don't have one of those guys. I did find one about 90 minutes up the road & sell a lot of my easily recognizeable sterling like flatware to them. Anything weighted or unmarked gets cleaned up & sent to ARA.

OP
OP
mjlalt

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to work with DWT so I may not be 100% correct but your math is off. There are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce so you have slightly over 18 ozt. Sterling averages out at 90% pure so that works out to about 16.2 ozt of pure. About the best you will get from a refiner will be 90% of spot.

If you live in a large enough city there will be 1 or 2 guys that will match that. I live in a small town & don't have one of those guys. I did find one about 90 minutes up the road & sell a lot of my easily recognizeable sterling like flatware to them. Anything weighted or unmarked gets cleaned up & sent to ARA.

Your right I was using Fuzzy Math ( math done in my head after a six pack):tongue3:

Thanks for the help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread