Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The simple truth is that you are going to buy trash, especially if you are new to this business. It just happens.

Like I said in the other thread: Make a list of everything...I mean everything...that you don't buy. If you see it, and hesitate, put it on your list. Avon bottles, baby clothes, Levi jean jackets, a set of hubcaps, a new style army helmet, Woman's Day magazines from the 1980's, a Nikon telephoto lens, etc.

Really study those completed listings. Study them hard. Not for a minute, but really study them, if they are selling, even if it takes you two or three, or even six hours.

And you can't just study the completed sales one time. You need to do it every week, forever. I've been serious in this business for over 10 years, and our only income is reselling. I still make those lists, and study them when I get home.

You'll quickly learn, and the heart breakers will definitely be remembered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple truth is that you are going to buy trash, especially if you are new to this business. It just happens.

Like I said in the other thread: Make a list of everything...I mean everything...that you don't buy. If you see it, and hesitate, put it on your list. Avon bottles, baby clothes, Levi jean jackets, a set of hubcaps, a new style army helmet, Woman's Day magazines from the 1980's, a Nikon telephoto lens, etc.

Really study those completed listings. Study them hard. Not for a minute, but really study them, if they are selling, even if it takes you two or three, or even six hours.

You'll quickly learn, and the heart breakers will definitely be remembered.

Thanks clovis, is it best to literally take a pen and paper and jot it down?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yes, or use your iPhone. Sometimes I snap a picture of the item too.

One of the first things I do before I start the car before I leave a sale is make sure I wrote everything down. I am still doing that after each sale.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, or use your iPhone. Sometimes I snap a picture of the item too.

One of the first things I do before I start the car before I leave a sale is make sure I wrote everything down. I am still doing that after each sale.

Gonna try this tomorrow at the local goodwill retailer

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
It will work, if you will spend the time. You'll get an education pretty quick.

BTW, some of the items that I posted in Post #2 is trash, some of it can be decent.

Also, what area are you best with, and most knowledgeable?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
One problem is that youre buying stuff before you even know if its worth anything.Seems a little bass ackwards to me if you get my drift.Go to your library and read some books on antiques and collectibles.Read websites on antiques and collectibles.Get an idea of whats worth what.If you like glass,study glass,pottery go for pottery etc,etc,etc.I can go to a yard sale look for less than 5 minutes and thats that.Anything good i grab it.Same with thrift stores,i go to a thrift store buy something for a few bucks walk down the antique store resell it for 3 to 5 times what i paid,free lunch.knowledge is the key.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Treasurehunters, use an Iphone or equivalent. It will make you money, but most importantly, save you a ton, pays for itself in no time. If you're at a busy estate sale/garage sale, make a pile then research if need be.

As Dig would say "Read and Read" ref. books. Go to auctions and antique shows/stores. My two cents, read EVERY post on this forum, then read it again, even the College ones.

Last edited:

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowledge is definitely power. The more I study, the more money I am making. Another big part of it is what you are buying an item for. If you're paying a dollar for an item that doesn't sell, then you just invested a dollar into improving and making more money. Now if you buy something for $35 and find out it's worthless, it's going to hurt much more. If it's over a few dollars and you are not 90% sure of it's value, don't buy it. Risk vs. Reward. Price vs. R.O.I.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my best "tip" for today:

In the past year, I have done very well selling sealed/new in package multimedia such as DVD box sets, CDs, LPs, etc. The stuff is easy to list (you dont have to worry about condition), easy to ship (media mail is cheap), and easy to buy for a fair price. There are multiple outlets available to sell the stuff too, mostly because of the UPC code which ebay and Amazon keep a catalog of most popular titles.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
You also have to develop an eye for certain things. And also use your gut instincts sometimes. Some items are really impossible to look up, or are unique. But the key is risk vs reward in those situations. I have a box of losers in the corner of my ebay room, but nothing in that box cost me more than $2.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it has already been said, but use the iphone/equivalent. I have the eBay app on my phone and it only takes a few seconds to search completed listings on there, while I'm in the store/sale. Stopped me from buying many unworthy items...

Forkeh

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I don't usually go after items that I don't know anything at all about. If I do buy something I'm really unsure of, I won't spend very much. Also I have a smart phone; it's very helpful. One Ebay app later, and you can usually get a decent idea of what anything is going for.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I don't usually go after items that I don't know anything at all about. If I do buy something I'm really unsure of, I won't spend very much. Also I have a smart phone; it's very helpful. One Ebay app later, and you can usually get a decent idea of what anything is going for.

While I agree 100% that using a smart phone to look up prices "in situ" is a great idea, there is something a bit more fulfilling when you go out blindly and then look up the values later when you get home. The achievment felt when you look up an item that you paid a couple bucks for to find it is worth over $100 is worth the risk, IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread