Selling Grandmas Gold Coins ( Ebay or not to Ebay )

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling Grandma's Gold Coins ( Ebay or not to Ebay )

My grandmother has couple of gold coins and some 100 oz silver bars that she wants me to sell

My question is how would you sell them? I think I would get the best money on ebay but I am hesitant to sell something of such high value through ebay and send it through the mail. Would insurance and signature confirmation be enough protection?

Ideas and or thoughts would be most appreciated

Here is a picture of one of coins , Its a beauty

100_1314 (Small).JPG 100_1313 (Small).JPG

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO,you will get more if you have them slabbed.Collectors will be aprehensive bidding from trying to grade off of photo's

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly certain insurance does not cover coins. I have sold thousands of dollars worth of coins and had no issues. I have also had good luck on Amazon selling coins but the fees are higher.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have sold most of my coins on Ebay and i have got top price on my coins on Ebay...............

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO,you will get more if you have them slabbed.Collectors will be aprehensive bidding from trying to grade off of photo's

Be careful with this way of thinking. Make sure the high fees associated with slabbing are worth the return on your investment. I see hairlines all over the coin in your post. It might not even grade. It is also a common date meaning it would have to grade at least MS-63 to have any kind of worthwhile premium.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It depends on what you have. If your gold coins are common date circulated coins ebay might not be the best place to sell. Those generally sell for a slight premium over melt. With fees (11-13%) you will end up with less than melt. Any large city will have a gold buyer that pays 95-98% of melt. The trick is finding them.

On the other hand, if your coins are uncirculated and/or rare dates you would be better off selling on ebay. To get the most out of them you need to consider the cost to benefit of having them slabbed. At a minimum you need pictures that are much better than what you posted here.

OP
OP
mjlalt

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry , I usually use my scanner for coins but I misplaced my power adapter.
I don't believe the coin will grade as uncirculated ( I see a little wear on the coin)

I should have mentioned that the other is a Mexican 50 Pesos gold coin and its in a gold setting

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Assuming Jerseyben is correct that the posted coin is a common date you would probably come out better locating a reputable gold buyer. Search the web for the exact gold content of your coins & figure what melt is, then hit the phones. If you are in a city of any size you should be able to get 95% or more of that.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone who thinks Ebay is not a good choice, go try and buy some gold to flip and see what kind of profit you make. I bet it wouldn't be worth it, and not worth it in the same sense as racking your brain where to sell a gold coin when you can simply list it on ebay.

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always pay the $20 to become a charter member and sell it on this site.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
For anyone who thinks Ebay is not a good choice, go try and buy some gold to flip and see what kind of profit you make. I bet it wouldn't be worth it, and not worth it in the same sense as racking your brain where to sell a gold coin when you can simply list it on ebay.

I buy gold/silver items on a fairly regular basis from garage sales, estate sales & the local antique mall. I'm in it for the money & I resell through the venue that makes the most profit for the least effort. Paypal & Ebay fees combined run right around 12-13%. Last time I checked bullion items on Ebay were selling between melt & 10% over. After fees you get 90-98% of melt. If I can sell at 95-98% of melt to a refiner or other buyer why would I go through the hassle of listing, packing & shipping?

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craiglist is free but you have to deal with all the idiots and scammers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread