Finally found somethign REALLY good... 14k with diamonds (I hope) good! Need advice!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found somethign REALLY good... 14k with diamonds UPDATE!!! Item SOLD!!!

I have been yard/garage saling for year but only for the last year I have been doing them for the same reasons you do... I have learned a lot from you guys and still have alot to learn... thank you for that!

I have found my best find yet! I need to know what you all think I should do with it... I don't know if they are diamonds or CZ yet...

I have a local jewlery store that buys gold but I know they will only give me 50% of spot or less... maybe they can appraise it for me... does it cost anything to get an apprisal? and I hate to put this on feebay I'd loose so much in their fees. sooo... what do you all think I should do.

its 9.3 grams and I did a 14k acid test and it passed that 18k acid test failed...

if they are real diamonds I bet its worh more than the gold content.

Thanks for looking!

Chukers

14k.JPG

14k-2.JPG

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chuckers,

Generally a jewelry store will test it as a freebie or public service....just be up front and ask if there's a fee or not....if they'll check it for free ask them approximate retail value.....then that gives you a range between melt and retail and try to sell privately somewhere between the 2 prices.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chuckers,

Generally a jewelry store will test it as a freebie or public service....just be up front and ask if there's a fee or not....if they'll check it for free ask them approximate retail value.....then that gives you a range between melt and retail and try to sell privately somewhere between the 2 prices.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks for the advice... I'll be going to the jewlery store on monday!

Chukers

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it to your jewler and tell them You bought it from a Friend and are Afraid the Your Girl friend Will Have the Dimonds Checked After she Get It As a Present!!! You just want to be shur Probably no charge If they are Not Busy!!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't believe that is your neck,good luck trying to get it back! Nice score dude. God Bless Chris

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to your jewler and tell them You bought it from a Friend and are Afraid the Your Girl friend Will Have the Dimonds Checked After she Get It As a Present!!! You just want to be shur Probably no charge If they are Not Busy!!!

They know who I am.... small town.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe that is your neck,good luck trying to get it back! Nice score dude. God Bless Chris

Thanks and fortunatly for me the neck its on don't like chokers... :icon_thumright:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I will mention, is that 50% of spot is not a reputable scrap dealer. I know you are in a small town, but even most pawn shops pay 80% or more. Also there is not a good resale on diamonds unless they are one carat or more, but if it is for a present, then the value is in the look on their face.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I will mention, is that 50% of spot is not a reputable scrap dealer. I know you are in a small town, but even most pawn shops pay 80% or more. Also there is not a good resale on diamonds unless they are one carat or more, but if it is for a present, then the value is in the look on their face.

We shall see monday... I bet they will buy it as gold and resell it at fine jewlery... I know I would if I have a jewlery store

Chukers

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's the tradeoff we make when we scrap jewelry. Quick sale instead of retail value. I've found though, that sometimes resale value is actually less than scrap value. Once, before I found this forum, I came across a Bulova 214 with an 18k body and 18k band. The best offer I got for the watch whole was $1200. Scrapping it out netted me a little over $2000. However I've found that if the item is made by a well known jeweler or silversmith (Tiffany, James Avery, ect.), or if it is a highly sought after collectable (reale piece or dubloon), one can do better in resale or auction.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They know who I am.... small town.
Since they know who you are there should not be a problem for them to test the diamonds, also if you don't want to scrap it see if they would sell it on consignment for you. Christmas is right around the corner! Nice score! Goodluck!.....Scott

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since they know who you are there should not be a problem for them to test the diamonds, also if you don't want to scrap it see if they would sell it on consignment for you. Christmas is right around the corner! Nice score! Goodluck!.....Scott

After they give me a price for the gold & test if they are diamonds, I'll ask them about consignments... problems is its a very small jewlery store and its not likely to sell anytime soon... I guess that is what you have to do if you want retail out of it.... wait!

Thanks for the idea!

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Don't forget to give us the heads up about what you have there..............:icon_thumright:

oh I will... I enjoy other peoples find as well as the ends results (ID Age & Value) I only assume other do as well... I wound never deny you all what I end up with because without what I have learned here from you all, I would know very little about finding treasures like this!

Chukers

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! How much did you pay for it? Were there any hallmarks on the clasp or links? I always include my overall time spent when figuring out value and profit. I try to get a fair price with a quick turn around so I can move on to the next deal. Others are willing to wait and try to get top dollar for their finds.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! How much did you pay for it? Were there any hallmarks on the clasp or links? I always include my overall time spent when figuring out value and profit. I try to get a fair price with a quick turn around so I can move on to the next deal. Others are willing to wait and try to get top dollar for their finds.

the only thing on the clasp is 14k and a patient number and its for the clasp made in 1985... as far as what it cost me... I'll post that whn I find out what its value is.

Also... I am finding that its hard for me to "let go" of the treasures I find... why is that? anyone else have this issue? sure I could find a use for the money... I just don't understand why I have a need to keep all the goodies I find! Maybe I feel its worth more than I would be getting for it... and if I hold out I might get more for it... but I know that is a never ending idea...

maybe once I sell something it might be easier.... I sold a gold ring once and got $65 today it woyld be worth 10x that... maybe thats why!

we shall see!

Chukers

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your hesitation. I too want to keep all my great finds and usually feel that I'm not getting what any given item's truly worth. If one only looks at retail values of these items it's easy to feel that way. A few general facts about the jewelry trade are in order. Any item you see in a jewelry store is generally marked up 100%. This is because jewelry is not a high volume consumer item. Any piece they display sits on the shelf for a very long time before someone buys it usually. The factor of buyer motivation is also a factor. Frequently jewelry buyers are motivated by sentiment when buying jewelry and the price/vaue is a secondary concern.
I look at it this way: I purchase an item for x dollars. If I then sell it for 300x, I feel alright about it. Possibly if I held on to it or marketed it a different way, I MIGHT have made a little more on it, but that's irrelevant. I just made 30000% profit and I can't complain. I always keep my eye open for items I know would make wonderful presents for my loved ones and that is a value that can't be measured. Especially since I usually couldn't afford to buy a gift like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your hesitation. I too want to keep all my great finds and usually feel that I'm not getting what any given item's truly worth. If one only looks at retail values of these items it's easy to feel that way. A few general facts about the jewelry trade are in order. Any item you see in a jewelry store is generally marked up 100%. This is because jewelry is not a high volume consumer item. Any piece they display sits on the shelf for a very long time before someone buys it usually. The factor of buyer motivation is also a factor. Frequently jewelry buyers are motivated by sentiment when buying jewelry and the price/vaue is a secondary concern.
I look at it this way: I purchase an item for x dollars. If I then sell it for 300x, I feel alright about it. Possibly if I held on to it or marketed it a different way, I MIGHT have made a little more on it, but that's irrelevant. I just made 30000% profit and I can't complain. I always keep my eye open for items I know would make wonderful presents for my loved ones and that is a value that can't be measured. Especially since I usually couldn't afford to buy a gift like that.

Thank you for your insight... I do realize that if I double my money on anything I buy I am better off... but I just can't get past that "what if I did this" thing. I am working on that... I am sure I am not the only one with this issue, I am doing mt best to get past it LOL!

Thank you agaoin for putting things in perspective!

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread