Free shipping or not..on ebay?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
It depends on the item, what it is worth, how much they have sold for, how much it weighs, how much it will cost to ship, etc.

Sometimes I use it to help market an item for more than it is worth.

For instance, I bought 6 toy train switches in a box of cheap track for $2. The switches in completed sales were not selling at 4.99 to 5.99 plus shipping. Since I know the toy train market, I took the few pieces off of the switches and sold them as used original repair parts. I sold 2 nuts for 6.99 with free shipping. Postage was 65 cents a package. I had about 6 sets of those nuts.

(FWIW, I sold the switches at the flea market for $4 each after I stripped the nuts off of them, and sold packs of 10 pieces of track for $4 each, and the nuts on ebay for 6.99. I made about $82 total from that box that other sellers would have said was worthless.)

The free shipping added a bonus to the buyer, strengthening the value of my item, and barely cost me a thing to ship.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the item, what it is worth, how much they have sold for, how much it weighs, how much it will cost to ship, etc.

Sometimes I use it to help market an item for more than it is worth.

For instance, I bought 6 toy train switches in a box of cheap track for $2. The switches in completed sales were not selling at 4.99 to 5.99 plus shipping. Since I know the toy train market, I took the few pieces off of the switches and sold them as used original repair parts. I sold 2 nuts for 6.99 with free shipping. Postage was 65 cents a package. I had about 6 sets of those nuts.

(FWIW, I sold the switches at the flea market for $4 each after I stripped the nuts off of them, and sold packs of 10 pieces of track for $4 each, and the nuts on ebay for 6.99. I made about $82 total from that box that other sellers would have said was worthless.)

The free shipping added a bonus to the buyer, strengthening the value of my item, and barely cost me a thing to ship.

I completely agree. It's totally dependent on the item you are selling. I try to make my listings seem like the best buy of the same items listed. If someone has something listed for $10+$5 shipping, i'll list at $13 with free shipping. Unless your item is in better condition then other items, buyers are generally just looking for the best deal.

Some people like to list higher and try to get the most out of an item, I personally want to sell an item the first time around and not have to list again.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I try to use Free Shipping whenever possible. I find that for whatever reason, people will sometimes pay more for an item if there is no shipping charge.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
free shipping is very close to being a scam.
in most cases they add the shipping to the buy it now price when they offer it,
and discount the price when they charge it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never. I believe people make up their mind based on the item and the price, and as long as the shipping is reasonable they will follow through with the purchse. Free shipping probably won't bring them back if they already decided against the item. One of the great things when you buy and sell is you know both sides of the coin so to speak, which makes it easier to look at your selling from a buyers point of view. I feel free shipping is something that's highly absorbed by the seller.... and even if I list $1,000 item I'll still charge at least $9.95. (even if the profit margin was huge) Because 1, $10 is not going to stop that item from selling, and 2, $10 is $10! :)

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the item. I recently sold a pair of gold rings that weren't selling until I listed them with free shipping. It also helps if you can list with a fixed shipping cost. When I search for something I want I use the "price + shipping lowest first" method.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about the TV scam, buy the first one and the second one is free just pay shipping and handling. S&H would be more than what it would be if you bought it and paid S&H. Honestly I do not do the free shipping, keeps the cost of the item down and people know the will pay shipping anyway. I try to keep it fair.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up some Harley Side Saddle vintage leather bags at a garage sale for $40. I listed them on EBay at $199 plus $45 shipping. The last day, a guy asks if I will do free shipping. I say, "no.' When it item did not sell, I relisted for $199 with Free shipping. It ended up selling for $255. Generally, my shipping is higher than normal because of the deal I have with my shipper and my wanting to pass along my shipping fees. If I could lower my shipping, I would offer free shipping more often, but as of now, I will not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread