Thrift Shop Help

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
im currently trying to earn a bit of extra money buying cheap things and later selling them for more. My question is what items should I be looking for books, silver or copper anything, fishing stuff etc etc etc...the list could go on forever iguess. but what have you guys found that can be bought and resold for more. Any websites or tips would be great. Thanks for the help.
PAyoungin

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I guess it depends on where your market is going to be....If you think Ebay...then try to pick up things that will sell well there.....but from your part of the state....or look and see what goes well on Ebay.
People tend to collect anything....and other people want stuff exclusive to PA.
One of a kind items,folk art,lures,coins are all good sellers ....but you might want to learn a couple of items well and then concentrate on those...becoming basically an expert in those fields. Become well known for specializing in those areas of expertise and the people will come to you.

I do stoneware,am good at tiny bottles,love strange oddities and primitives,old kitchen items,old maps and books and antique lady items and clothing . I do lures ,because I tend to find alot of them.

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Thanks for the tips..Looks like im going to hhave to buy some books and headd back to the thrift shop. Thanks again.
PAyoungin

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
casio sk1, sk5 keyboards, speak and spell/math, old good analog stereos (try to stay under 20.00) but reasearch the equipment first, old P.A's, mics, amplifiers, tube electronic equipment in stereo, old minibikes, mid century modern anything, oldtube radios, cb's of the 1970's, old skateboards try for quality skate equipment name brands. 1980's boom boxes, bigger the better even broken sell. vintage denim.......etc.

just get the stuff as cheap as possible.....sometime you score sometimes don't break even.
it's a crap shoot....remember shipping comes in to play, make buyer pay shipping, stay away from heavy stuff.....good luck

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't noticed you here before so let me start off by saying, Welcome to the Treasurenet Forum.The best site on the web.Gypsyheart and mwsvector have given good advice,I will try to give a little myself.For the most part you will find the best "bargains" at yard/garage sales,estate sales,estate auctions and local flea markets.Many thrift stores sort through the good stuff and price it accordingly or keep it for themselves,which is highly unethical but it happens all the time.There is always that exception to the rule though.Some of my best finds at thrift stores would have to be a book,"The Man in Black" by Johnny Cash,an Elvis musical decanter from McCormick distillery,still sealed and full with contents (bourbon), a couple of "springbok" puzzles from the sixties,a miami dolphins helmet phone from the '80s,many old post cards,some bakelite utensils,swizzle sticks and local (state) vintage art pottery or "tourist pottery" as it is sometimes referred.
I look for the unusual or unique and of course the cheapest I can get away with.Just remember,condition,condition,condition.Original packaging also helps if applicable.For the most part,I buy whatever happens to catch my eye or sparks my interest that day.Buy what you like and you can't go wrong.I have sold many items and I have held on to many more.Certain things will always hold a value and many things will go up in value as the years go by also.
As you mentioned, I would invest in some books on collectibles and antiques,price guides.The "Kovels" put out some good books as does "Antique Trader".There are many out there to choose from,this was just a couple that came to mind.You can always go category specific too,you know,tootsie toys,California pottery,lighters-tobacciana,matchbox cars,marbles,depression glass,glassware,antique writing instruments,advertising collectibles,snow domes,griswold&wagner,kitchen antiques,compacts,occupied Japan,pez dispensers,star trek,Elvis,post cards,records,American art pottery and the list goes on and on.Good luck on your searches and let us know if you need any further help with anything.
Peace-diggummup

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
PA; Just a thought.,Profitable collectibles could be anything ....anywhere, and certainly, not everyone knows what they have.When visiting thrift shops, antique stores, or previewing an auction, carry a pad of paper and a pen.Write down info on possible items ......and the asking price.As soon as you can get to a computer, go to E-bay or other sales sites and check out same or similar items.See what people are actually paying and draw your conclusions from there.In doing this you will get a feel for collectibles trade and you may just hap upon some gems.Look for things with patent dates.Look for signatures on artwork.Look for the not so obvious.....as well as the obvious.If you do auctions, check the previews on your computer.Auctionzip is a great site to locate local auctions.Check the listings and research the offerings.Prepare a list of the value of the items at the auction before you go.Also check those box lots carefully...Ive found some great stuff in dollar box lots.
Good luck in your endeavors and if nothing else , it is a great learning experience....Joe

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it and will take all of th eadvice into consideration. Thanks again.
PAyoungin

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
if you decide to go with glassware.....run your finger along the edges, make sure there are no blemishes anywhere.....if there are chips or any other imperfections the item will not sell and you will be stuck with it.......unless it is a very very collectable item make sure it is in excellent condition.....you might spend 25 cents on a McCoy cookie jar and if it is cracked you cant sell it.

ok like everyone else has already said, pick a few things that interest you and stick with those, learn all you can about them and you will find them and make money.....i owned an antique shop at one time as well as a thrift store at another time ...... the one thing i learned is that is is IMPOSSIBLE to learn everything about every type of collectable......i cant stress enough to specialize in a few diffeerent things and like someone else posted people will come to you once you get your name out there.

all i know to say now is good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!!!

Marty

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
oh yeah i have learned that old toys are pretty good sellers......old Tonkas from the 50's and older no matter the condition sell great......also Ambassadeur 5500 casting reels there are 5500 c, 5500c3, and a few others but stick with just the plain 5500 if you can find them.......they are getting extremely hard to find and collectors pay pretty big bucks for them

Marty

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I have to concur,especially if you are just starting out,you really want to specializze in a very small nook. Learn whatever you choose inside and out.When you are out looking you will know exactly what something is worth. As time goes by you can branch out into other items and learn all about them as well. The last thing you want is to get stuck with a pile of stuff you know nothing about and become jaded to the whole Ebay thing. Knowing exactly what you have will allow you to get the maximum price for it. The most important part of the auction is the way you list the item. If I list something as 'old toy' most of the people searching for that particular item will never even see it.however if my auction says 'O Lionel 816 pre-war' everyone and their brother will be hitting my auction and I will get top dollar for it. The second most important tip to selling on Ebay is having good clear pictures of your item. If you really get into it you will want to use an image hosting service so you can post multiple pictures without Ebay killing you with the fees. If you are just starting out dont list your top dollar items because you simply will not get what they are worth. Untill you have some feedback built-up a lot of buyers simply wont bid on your item because you dont have enough feedback,as a general rule I wont bid if you have under 100 unless you have been on Ebay for several years and even then I might call you at home to hear a voice. There are a ton of tricks you need to learn and will if you are successful at the Ebay thing. It all starts with setting up an account and buying a few cheap things just to get your feet wet...GL...Shoot

OP
OP
P

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it a lot. Shoot, the tips will really come in handy and I will take your advice. Thanks again to everyone.
PAyoungin

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
My cousin says that he has great success selling fishin lures on ebay. From what I have noticed, books don't sell on ebay unless it is a very specific certain title. Most people don't read books anymore. If they want to find something out they look it up on the internet.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mwsvector said:
casio sk1, sk5 keyboards, speak and spell/math, old good analog stereos (try to stay under 20.00) but reasearch the equipment first, old P.A's, mics, amplifiers, tube electronic equipment in stereo, old minibikes, mid century modern anything, oldtube radios, cb's of the 1970's, old skateboards try for quality skate equipment name brands. 1980's boom boxes, bigger the better even broken sell. vintage denim.......etc.
I just threw almost every item you mentioned in the trash when I sold my house. :( I didnt know 70's cb's or stereos had any value. What about 8 tracks? :D

T

TreasureTales

Visit some local antique stores and ask what's hot and what's not. Then ask them if they would consider purchasing items from "pickers" (people who buy at thrift stores, yard sales, etc. and then sell for a profit to the antique dealers). Go online and see what the online auctions are selling and what's doing well and WHY. One thing may look like another, but one sells well and one doesn't. Is it the condition, the age, the maker, the color? Learn the subtleties of collecting and you'll sell more stuff for a higher price. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it because you can spend money and never get your money back out of the stuff. Do research before buying.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]I just threw almost every item you mentioned in the trash when I sold my house. :( I didnt know 70's cb's or stereos had any value. What about 8 tracks? :D
[/quote]

yeap, people like the old quality stereos Pioneer, JVC, HarmonKardon, Sony, Mirrantaz, Sansui..etc (weighted selector knobs)
1970's CB's can be altered to recieve other channels....it's nitche...working 8 track tapes, and players....will sell.
Some Hi-tech today is boring......I like analog displays, and knobs....smell and glow of the older stereos....warming up!!!
I got rid of my older Surround reciever for a nice old JVC reciever......digital is the norm now, but it is not as warm as the old analog systems and real good speakers!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommorrow is the last day of the year.Many people have or will "donate" to Goodwill and Salvation Army to be used as a tax write-off for this year.There are bargains to be had in the next few days if you look,and know what to look for. My brother in law found a vintage Fire-King jadite ball pitcher today for $30.00.It's worth several hundred he says.Me,I would have passed right by it because I don't know anything about depression glass.Just a little food for thought! ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where I'll be tomorrow till noon or all day if it's Raining ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably won't buy.

unless they have some Display cases for auction again.

But will be a Nice use of time till the Sun comes up at Sweet Arrow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread