Past Few Weeks

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I originally meant to do a whole write-up with oodles of pictures, but then last week I got ridiculously sick and could barely get out of bed. Feeling much better now, so it's time to share!

Got a couple fountain pens, the box set at an estate sale and the other at an antique/junk shop. Both are the Skyline model by Eversharp. The box set came out in 1995; I think there was also a fire truck set and a police car (maybe) set. 14k nib. Never been used, but it still had a couple small cracks near the rear tip, not sure why. Didn't sell as well as I'd have liked, but not bad for $10!
Skyline Cab 5.JPG

This one is a vintage model. In much better shape they go for a lot of money, sold this one to be used for repairs. 14k gold nib (only 0.5g) and a gold-filled cap. Skyline 1.JPG

For silver, I got a pair of SSMC crystal sherbet glasses on sterling stands. Was a little unsure of the weight when I bought them, but at over 70g total I did ok for $31. Also snagged a set of five beautifully enameled and gilded sterling spoons made by Norne. One isn't in the best shape but they're stunners! Other sterling items were a small pill box in the shape of a wrapped piece of candy with a small red stone (garnet maybe), a heart-shaped pendant hiding in what looks like a kid's arts-and-crafts project, and a few other small bits and pieces.

Miscellaneous objects were a pair of women's figure skates, a pair of small cast brass dishes in the shape of leaves, a metal advertisement for Lustre-Cream featuring Marilyn Monroe, a Caran d'Ache 844 mechanical pencil, and a Streamlight 20X flashlight. Unfortunately the pencil is broken; Caran d'Ache makes really nice stuff. The flashlight has markings for the local fire department so I think I'll try to return it. The ad is likely a modern reproduction. Not sure what to do with the skates or the dishes yet.

I'll try to get some more pictures up soon!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I originally meant to do a whole write-up with oodles of pictures, but then last week I got ridiculously sick and could barely get out of bed. Feeling much better now, so it's time to share!

Got a couple fountain pens, the box set at an estate sale and the other at an antique/junk shop. Both are the Skyline model by Eversharp. The box set came out in 1995; I think there was also a fire truck set and a police car (maybe) set. 14k nib. Never been used, but it still had a couple small cracks near the rear tip, not sure why. Didn't sell as well as I'd have liked, but not bad for $10!
View attachment 744154

This one is a vintage model. In much better shape they go for a lot of money, sold this one to be used for repairs. 14k gold nib (only 0.5g) and a gold-filled cap. View attachment 744157

For silver, I got a pair of SSMC crystal sherbet glasses on sterling stands. Was a little unsure of the weight when I bought them, but at over 70g total I did ok for $31. Also snagged a set of five beautifully enameled and gilded sterling spoons made by Norne. One isn't in the best shape but they're stunners! Other sterling items were a small pill box in the shape of a wrapped piece of candy with a small red stone (garnet maybe), a heart-shaped pendant hiding in what looks like a kid's arts-and-crafts project, and a few other small bits and pieces.

Miscellaneous objects were a pair of women's figure skates, a pair of small cast brass dishes in the shape of leaves, a metal advertisement for Lustre-Cream featuring Marilyn Monroe, a Caran d'Ache 844 mechanical pencil, and a Streamlight 20X flashlight. Unfortunately the pencil is broken; Caran d'Ache makes really nice stuff. The flashlight has markings for the local fire department so I think I'll try to return it. The ad is likely a modern reproduction. Not sure what to do with the skates or the dishes yet.

I'll try to get some more pictures up soon!

I picked up the exact same Eversharp with the GF cap at a yard sale this past May. Nice!

DaveBerte99

Feb 17, 2013
Great finds! Love the unique writing instruments! I recently found a chunky 28 gram sterling coin in with some toys for .25¢ at a yard sale :) Keep up the good work!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I always pick up vintage pens and pencils. Now, if I would just list them instead of putting them in the drawer with the rest of the collection...

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally got around to taking pictures! Also found a few things that I had forgotten about!

Here's the broken Caran d'Ache 844 pencil along with a vintage Venus 043 leadholder. The Venus still works like a champ, too bad it's in such a worn-down state.
venus and caran dache 844.JPG

This is an Erograph technical drawing pen, made in West Germany. 1960's to 1980's from what I can tell. Nearly all of the information I've found about it are unsold items on eBay. Couldn't pass up a vintage new in box pen (with instruction sheet!) for a buck, though.
erograph.JPG

A pair of ice skates in decent condition for $5 sounds like a decent buy, but there seems to be just no market for used no-name figure skates in women's sizes. Might have better luck locally rather than on eBay. Size 7 leather boots, 9 1/2 blade by SLM, for what it's worth.
skates.JPG

A pair of brass (?) dishes in the shape of a leaf. One is noticeably lighter than the other, different alloy maybe. Not bad little things, I was hopeful until I eventually saw what was hidden under the price tags. I hope someone out there really likes leaves!
leaf dishes.JPG
leaf dishes mark.JPG

Aaaaaaaaand another poor decision by me. At least I wasn't the one who paid $17.50 for it...
lustre cream front.JPG
lustre cream back.JPG

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Fortunately, I've been doing much better on the metals front! These are three half lead, half tin (50-50) solder ingots. Got them at the estate sale of a guy who made his own fishing weights. They seem to sell pretty reliably at $5 to $7 per pound.
half and half bars.JPG

These are some of the miscellaneous items I picked up. The "flat handle butter spreaders" are the Troubadour pattern by Concord. If you look closely they're not exactly the same; the top knife is a bit lighter at 28.6 grams versus 32.1! No complaints here at a quarter each, though! The sterling heart is the one I rescued from an awful arts-and-crafts-time bead necklace. I found the homemade ring in the same basement as the lead bars. At first I thought it was another piece of cast lead, but who the heck would wear a lead ring? It wasn't magnetic so I tossed it in with the rest of the lot to test when I got home. Turns out it is silver, and at 26.4 grams it makes me think it might be a whole melted-down Morgan or Peace dollar.
misc.JPG
I picked up the unmarked stick pin because I've seen some similar ones that are gold filled, and as I was buying a few things at once it probably didn't cost much at all. The spade-shaped bit at the end is probably plated, but after testing I'm pretty sure the post itself is 10 karat! The bird was part of the same lot and is also unmarked. It caught my eye for a few reasons: It's a nice-looking bird, the straight post is magnetic but the bird itself isn't, the pin back and post are slightly tarnished but the entire bird is gleaming, and overall the way it's put together is wrong somehow. Like it wasn't originally made as a pin, or someone did a repair job them self (which would explain the lack of markings). Tested the bird at 14 karat, and still didn't quite believe it, so I got a second opinion at a jeweler! The little pin with the pearl is actually marked, but I didn't know when I bought it. It's a real pearl, so I had a hunch, but the seller insisted it was gold filled. As I was looking it over it just didn't feel like GF to me, so I took a shot at it. Turns out it has the French eagle mark and tests at 14 karat. The eagle and maker's marks are so tiny and fine that I thought they were just deep dents even after I broke out the loupe. It's a very unusual little thing, I'm not entirely sure how you wear it.

I really like this little sterling box! It just jumped out at me in a packed jewelry case at an estate sale. Paid about melt for it, and I think it might be a real ruby.
sterling candy box.JPG

Even though they're not in the best shape these spoons are stunning. The gilding is wearing off a bit, but the enamel just glows. Unfortunately the purple one has a bit of enamel missing, and I think teaspoon sets usually have six, so one is missing. Made by Norne, a Norweigan maker. Don't know much else about them.
norne spoons1.JPG
norne spoons3.JPG

And finally here are the crystal sherbet bowls on sterling bases:
sterling crystal bowls.JPG

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those finds are very impressive. Thank you for showing them to us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread