jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I scored one of my most awesome finds yet!

So I stopped by my biweekly source to pick up some stuff. Finally convinced him to part with the watch fob from the previously mentioned pocketwatch fail. Scouring through the sterling "bin", I picked up a nice Webster matchbox cover. Not in perfect condition but it is still cool. I noticed a nice floral cutout sterling link bracelet. Art nouveau style with that aged patina - a real nice piece. Finally, I picked up the item that made my whole trip worthwhile! It is a medal/award from 1893 from Scotland. It is awarded to a man from Jamestown for some sort of "cup" contest in 1893 and is marked as such. It is hallmarked with British hallmarks and it is actually gold over silver. A beautiful piece that hits multiple markets with coins, silver, exunomia, and awards. I don't even know if I can sell it - it is just so darn cool!

He typically charges me melt for whatever I buy (plus or minus, depending on what it is). That being said, I plan on selling the watch fob and making my money back on the whole lot. Here is an example of the same fob: Antique Pocket Watch Chain Fob 12 inches 12K Gold Filled Marked Simmons | eBay

Attachments

• IMG_2924.JPG
    IMG_2924.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 176

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and I am extremely envious that you have a source of antique silver for scrap prices! What an incredible hookup. In the spirit of community, you should probably just go ahead and let all the other jersey people here know who it is. (I am kidding, of course).

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update the thread when you figure out what the Aucheheclish Cup was.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fob was made by (D.F.T.) David F. Turnbull, a Glasgow Silversmith of that era. Aughenheglish is a castle that goes by the name of Loch Lomond Hotel nowadays, I think. The name of John McGoll (50 yrs) is listed on the manifest of the Ethiopia that sailed into Ellis Island on April 10, 1895. As far as what kind of "cup" it was awarded for, I have no clue. Very unique find. All good stuff! Congrats!

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Are those Simmons chains usually marked? I ran across one a few weeks back that I could have sworn was gold but didn't pull the trigger because it was unmarked. (I'm pretty sure it was Simmons. Had a clasp that looked just like yours, IIRC.)

And the medal may have been won by John MacColl (or McColl, seems they weren't too concerned about that A back then), who was apparently a famous and excellent bagpipe player and composer. Some info here. The date fits right in with his competition years. I don't think it's McGoll (or MacGoll); the monogram on the front looks like JMcC rather than JMcG.

And take a look at all the medals on his jacket! Yours would fit right in!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible info guys! Thanks!

I would say that the info regarding the silversmith is a definite match. His hallmark is the same.

I would also say that the link to the competitive bagpiper is also highly likely. I think it is actually James McColl and being Scottish it would certainly make sense, especially considering the date range. Looks like there are a few Jamestowns in Scotland so that could also work. Very cool that Auchenheglish still exists.

I don't know if I could bring myself to sell it but I cant help but wonder what something like this is even worth?

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds and I am extremely envious that you have a source of antique silver for scrap prices! What an incredible hookup. In the spirit of community, you should probably just go ahead and let all the other jersey people here know who it is. (I am kidding, of course).

Randazzo: I would be happy to share my source with anyone who sends me a PM. Although my exact source is my "secret", the concept is share-able and I would bet most people could tap into a similar resource (and should).

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aughenheglish area also well known for it's golfing. Perhaps a golf award?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread