Best yard sale find ever!

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I was wondering what everyone's best finds were! It encourages me to keep looking by reading everyone's posts. Mine was last year. A guy said he had a roll of old coins, they were dime size. He dumped out the roll, 3 were dimes most were half dimes, canandian silver 5 cents and other silver coins from before 1800. There were 60 total, he wanted a $1 each. I paid him and left. Stopped at the LCS and the guy offered $2300 for all. I didn't sell a one. One of the best was a 1800 us half dime. Some key date 5 cent canadian coins and some other nice dated coins. Best find to date!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds cool. Pictures?

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I think my best find lately is up on Ebay now. A Lundberg paperweight vase. My best find ever was a coin I wrote about before... Paid $250, sold for $15,000 (20 years later).

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old Hot Wheels carrier,the one shaped like a wheel with almost never played with Hotwheel cars on the inside,bought it for $5,sold it for $200 to a dealer,also a brand new still in the box "Pee-Wee Herman talking puppet,for $4 and sold it to the same dealer for $150.00,probably could have gotten more for Pee-Wee.

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
Found an old Hot Wheels carrier,the one shaped like a wheel with almost never played with Hotwheel cars on the inside,bought it for $5,sold it for $200 to a dealer,also a brand new still in the box "Pee-Wee Herman talking puppet,for $4 and sold it to the same dealer for $150.00,probably could have gotten more for Pee-Wee.

I found hot wheels when I first started going to yard sales. They had red around the wheels and I though someone drew on them with marker. Then I gave them to good will!!! Stupid.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to boast without pictures, but about six months ago (before I started following this site), I picked up an original Bulova Accutron model 214 in an 18k case with an 18k band that had a 14k clasp. Didn't try to auction it, but sold the gold piecemeal for a total of $2200. Paid $10 for it. The posts I put this week, though, represent a very good week. I expect to get at least $500 for the Meiji vase (or at least my auction guy thinks so) and another couple of hundred for the jade foo dog. Already sold the letter opener for $50 and the bearing puller for $40. I'm saving the piano Spiedel display for my neice. Spent a total of, gas included $31.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once paid $10 for a large box of sports cards. I found some game used cards, mostly baseball and sold them all for a bit over $150.

The cream of the crop, however, was an autographed rookie card of Albert Pujols #'d to 300. After a bit of investigating I found out that only 50 of those cards had been signed! eBay auction ended at $565 for that one card.

Paid $10 for box and brought in over $700!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started selling a few months ago, so nothing too wild yet. Found an Air Force Issued Cooper A-2 Bomber Jacket at a thrift store for $2, sold it for $130. Other than that, profits in the $5-$50 range are the norm right now. I just picked up a set of 12 matching Anchor Hocking Fire-King milk glass mugs at my local thrift store for about $4, those should get me something.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The wife called me one day a couple years ago & said she was at a yard sale looking at 3 cat pins that were marked 14k. She is afraid of fakes & wanted to know if she should buy them. I asked her how much & she told me $1 each. I sold them a week later for almost $400.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A collection of 19th-20th century paintings, engravings and prints at a moving sale about 4 years ago. There are 62 pieces total and some of them are water damaged (some to the point of being useless). Paid $700.00 Sold one of them, a large tolouse lautrec signed piece, to a co-worker's wife for $4,000.00. I have a 1930's Jane Marny by Dom movie poster (huge 6 foot by 4 foot) in my parlor and several Frank Paton's in my office at work. I'm just sitting on the rest of them at the minute. They are hard to identify, but I know there is some real value in that collection.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
come on...

Wellllllll, okay. Here's one.
Found a WW2 navy jack jacket (toasted) with a name stenciled on the back.
Paid $3 at a yard sale, it sold for $400. Having a name on an item makes a big difference in price.
And guess what? A month later I found another one. Also $3.

Last edited:

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I turned $1 into a $200 sale last week. It was a big surprise to say the least. I bought a video game hoping to get $10-$15 bucks out of it. When I looked it up I was shocked.

Myst The Collection Complete Series 5 Games End of Ages PC SEALED | eBay

It came from a sale that I scored my ass off from. I got there about 30 minutes after they opened and the lady told me it was about to be shut down because apparently the daughter of the man that lived there supposedly got permission from the condo association to hold the sale. Turns out the daughter called and the association said no, but she told the estate company that it was all right. So it was me and a couple mexican guys looking around the condo. Spent 45 minutes looking and BSing with the lady running the sale and spent about $19. Knowing she was going to get shutdown she was in a mood to deal! My arms were full of stuff and I still have stuff to sell.

mantlefan2010

Greenie
Jun 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bought a lot of early ez rider bike magazines paid 35.00 made over 400.00 for the lot of em

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions