Huge weekend! Lots of silver, a little gold, a camera, a hard hat, and more!

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I had an awesome day yesterday! First up, the silver and gold:

silver and gold 3-16-2013.JPG

The sombrero is my favorite, 36.4 grams of Mexican sterling. The cup has Egyptian marks, but I haven't quite deciphered them. 49.9 grams of unknown purity. The little shakers are Weidlich pattern 7721. Missing one cap, the weigh 7.4 grams together. Don't know who the spoon's by, but it's 31.6 grams of sterling. The beads in the pile are unmarked, but tested for silver and weight 37.7 grams. The two rings on the far left and far right are unmarked, but tested for silver. The rest are marked as sterling, and all six together weigh 54.9 grams including stones. The sterling dancing girl pin is really neat, I think it will do well. The origami crane is on a sterling necklace and came with matching earrings, but my girlfriend snapped those up! The sterling tie bar is cool, it says "NABAC 1954" with a cable car; it's made by Shreve & Co., a famous San Francisco jeweler. The house pendant is enamel on sterling, with a sterling chain. The necklace to the right of it is also sterling, but broken. The pretty vintage clasp on it is still OK. The earrings with the pearls and the red stones are unmarked silver, and they're real pearls. The acorns and the hoop are sterling, probably will just re-use the acorns on something else. The cut-out Mercury dime is unfortunately on a steel chain, going to have to find a good replacement! The two Mercury dimes and the war nickel are nothing special, but the 1947 Panama medio Balboa is a stunner, probably a solid AU.

Here are the markings on the cup and spoon, any ideas?
egyptian cup marks.JPG
silver spoon marks.JPG

As for the gold, the two earrings on the left are 10k, the left has a fake pearl, the right has a real pearl. The first hoop herring is vintage Monet, but the wire clasp is 14k. The second hoop earring and the setting for the genuine teardrop pearl are also 14k. After seeing randazzo's find the other day, I picked up the fraternity pieces, both are unmarked 10k! The necklaces are GF, though. You can see some of the other GF and costume bits and pieces that I picked up in the background.

Other finds were a Sony XC-999 video camera, a nice inlaid wooden box (and some cheap RAM sticks), and a hard hat from USS Waldo County, AKA LST 1163. Not pictured are a barely-used Streamlight Litebox flashlight with wall-mount charger, wall plug, and cigarette lighter adapter; a replica CCM Phoenix Coyotes hockey jersey new with tags in XL; and a possibly game-used American League baseball from 1970 to 1973 (Major League ball dating guide here.)
xc-999 camera and box.JPG
inlaid box.JPG
inlaid box open.JPG
LST 1163 hard hat.JPG

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cup as you know is from Egypt after 1946, 800 is standard for Egypt, as for the date I don't know, here is a chart, see if you can decipher it-
ãÕáÍÉ ÏãÛ ÇáãÕæÛÇÊ æÇáãæÇÒíä

The spoon is from Simpson, Hall Miller & Co., which was taken over by Intnl. Silver in 1898 but used the mark for many years afterwards. That is a nice pile of silver you got there. I don't usually find that much in one weekend.

The Balboa is 800 silver.

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone! The hard hat is an aluminum SuperLite made by Fibre Metal. "US Government" is engraved on the top of the brim.

I found a little more info on the Egyptian hallmarks. The left mark has the purity and the assay office, the middle is the type of metal (silver is a lotus flower or a cat), and the right is the date. The left mark is in two parts, the top bit is the assay office, Cairo in this case, and the bottom is "90" in arabic numbers, meaning .900 fine. The date on this piece doesn't quite match any I'm seeing online, the closest match is 1959-1961.
arabic numbers.png

And the half Balboa is .900 silver, it says so right on it!
1947 Panama medio Balboa obv.JPG
1947 Panama medio Balboa rev.JPG

Also got a nice little surprise from one of my recent auctions. Check it out here. I was very pleased with the photos, I think they helped a lot!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! The hard hat is an aluminum SuperLite made by Fibre Metal. "US Government" is engraved on the top of the brim.

I found a little more info on the Egyptian hallmarks. The left mark has the purity and the assay office, the middle is the type of metal (silver is a lotus flower or a cat), and the right is the date. The left mark is in two parts, the top bit is the assay office, Cairo in this case, and the bottom is "90" in arabic numbers, meaning .900 fine. The date on this piece doesn't quite match any I'm seeing online, the closest match is 1959-1961.
View attachment 761326

And the half Balboa is .900 silver, it says so right on it!
View attachment 761328
View attachment 761329

Also got a nice little surprise from one of my recent auctions. Check it out here. I was very pleased with the photos, I think they helped a lot!
Okay wrong Balboa, I need to look closer next time, lol. I thought it was one of the ones struck by the Phili. mint. I figured you already knew the Egyptian hallmarking system, just hadn't deciphered the marks yet. I came up with the same conclusion on the date which is why I didn't post it, I wasn't sure.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recoveries! Thanks for the tidbit on Egyptian Markings. That's yet another PM marking system I not only didn't know about, but would never have thought to consider. Excellent.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible box! The banding inlay makes me drool. I've been making decorative boxes for three or four years and I can't touch that kind of inlay.

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, the inlay is incredible, and it doesn't seem like just a veneer. But the finish of the box isn't nearly of the same quality. The hinges seem cheap, there are plane marks (or something) on the inner lip, and the varnish is a little sloppy. I got it from the same sale as the Egyptian cup, so I'm guessing it dates from about the same time, late 50's to 60's. I just wish I knew more about woodworking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread