What Do I have Here Is This Chinese Japanese Help Please.

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang. I got this at a thrift store and thought it was interesting. It seems old and is hand carved. Has Carved Chinese or Japanese lettering on the side as well as a design. Lid comes off. Has a handle. Any idea's and if anyone can read what this says. Thanks. DSC04015.JPG DSC04016.JPG DSC04017.JPG DSC04018.JPG

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - I think it's Chinese. Assuming its not old - it should be written from left to right in Western style. I'm not good at this but I recognize some of the characters in the last photo. In the first line -- the last two characters (from left to right) look like neng shi -- which should mean something like "able to serve" or "pemitted to help". I also think the last character in the second line is ren "man". I remember that one because ren ren is "people" and I recall being pleasantly surprised at home simple it was to go from the singular man (ren) to the plueal (ren ren).

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what it is?

Yeah - sorry - it's a water bucket. If it's original, its probably valuable. BUT - a lot of times you see them incorporated into water fountains and they are reproductions. Usually something like Buddha holding a bucket dumping water into a pond.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, at first I thought it was a wishing well or something. I know nothing when it comes to Asian anything, but it looks old just from looking at the cracks/shrinkage in the wood itself. Of course they do fake that too nowadays so...

I hope it's real, I like it.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, at first I thought it was a wishing well or something. I know nothing when it comes to Asian anything, but it looks old just from looking at the cracks/shrinkage in the wood itself. Of course they do fake that too nowadays so...

I hope it's real, I like it.

Agreed. Does kind of look old.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing when it comes to Asian anything
You think you know nothing about Asian anything? I thought I was pretty well informed. My wife is Japanese and we are getting close to that 25 year mark. About a month or two ago my wife informed me our daughter had to "do" the Kimono ceremony. I had never even heard of it so she pulled out an old album with pictures of here in a kimono. So we did it It was a big to do, kind of like a debutante ball.
Here are some shots. BEFORE - AFTER - GROUP

They did not upload in the proper order.

Attachments

• heather8.jpg
    heather8.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 123
  • heather10.jpg
    heather10.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 134
  • heather11.jpg
    heather11.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 132

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dan,

By the looks of your avatar, and by the looks of your daughter, I can safely say that your daughter's beauty must have come from her mom.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful young lady you got there!
apush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread