Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoarder House Pics... Round 2 Finds

Went to a hoarder house. Guy passed 3 + years ago. House has been ransacked by thieves. Still pulled many good finds out of it and haven't even touched the surface. I didn't want the guy (son) to see me taking pics so I couldn't get any of the main living/dining area. Ths is the master br, Look at this mess-

get-attachment.jpg

I'll post some of the finds later.

EDIT- More pics added for round 2 on post 27.

Last edited:

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you get in my house? Just kidding that looks more like my garage then house but if I did not have a wife my house would look like that. I like to think I am not a hoarder but I know I am a Obsessive Compulsive buyer I can not turn down a good load of junk. I would expect to find a lot of good things in a house like that. Lets see your finds!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are most of the saves from the place. First round, he's supposed to call me back next weekend. Included are a WW2 footlocker, an original Magnavox Odyssey gaming system, an original Coleco Frogger video game, a complete stamp set of Japan National Parks, an art nouveau framed religious picture, a Lucky Strike pocket ashtray, 1959 adv. Zippo, a handblown art glass vase signed "Rick Nicholson 1983", an indian with a bee on his nose ashtray (japan), A German etched blue glass paperweight, a Henning hand carved Troll Princess (Norway), a bunch of french ivory (celluloid) dice, a Wester Bros. de-fi #34 straight razor with strop, some Craig AFB pinbacks, various letters and postcards dating back to the 20's, a few vintage games, and other various misc. items. It was hot and dirty and I can't wait to go back and dig some more. Yes I used a mask and rubber gloves! Here's the pics-

DSC03060.jpg DSC03059.jpg
DSC03062.jpg DSC03064.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any good tools? Anything really disgusting? lots of times hoarders are pretty disgusting with their housekeeping practices...

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any good tools? Anything really disgusting? lots of times hoarders are pretty disgusting with their housekeeping practices...
I never even made it to the garage or two other rooms in the back of the house, not to mention I couldn't even make it into a couple rooms other than the doorway. It was all pretty disgusting, lots of trash and a variety of all kinds of stuff. No rats or bugs or rotting food stuff or anything though. The only creatures I saw were silverfish in the bottom of a box in a closet and some termites and ants. The Army footlocker has a weird smell that i'm trying to get rid of with cotton balls and vanilla extract, we'll see. There were some personal pleasure items (both male and female) in a kitchen cabinet, I thought that was pretty weird to say the least.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I never even made it to the garage or two other rooms in the back of the house, not to mention I couldn't even make it into a couple rooms other than the doorway. It was all pretty disgusting, lots of trash and a variety of all kinds of stuff. No rats or bugs or rotting food stuff or anything though. The only creatures I saw were silverfish in the bottom of a box in a closet and some termites and ants. The Army footlocker has a weird smell that i'm trying to get rid of with cotton balls and vanilla extract, we'll see. There were some personal pleasure items (both male and female) in a kitchen cabinet, I thought that was pretty weird to say the least.
I would think the personal pleasure items would be really weird for the son to look at and deal with. Especially the female toys.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
very nice save diggummup, that is something I see and deal with on a weekly basis, now if I could start listing things and getting rid of them like you , my wife would be very happy

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
* Drools * If that Odyssey still has the MFG card in it, check the date. If it is a 1972 run 1 and is complete in the box, you have a $200-400 system.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
In all fairness to the hoarder:

I worked with a historical preservation group who bought a bank repo house. We had seen the house months prior, and each room had boxes of stuff and junk stacked neatly. Months later, after the thieves had broken in and sorted through the boxes, and the house was a total and complete disaster. The thieves dumped each and every box, scattering the contents into huge piles strewn throughout the house.

The entire house looked exactly like the pictures that Dig posted, except there were no finds, just old clothes, old blankets, stained Tupperware, etc.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice save diggummup, that is something I see and deal with on a weekly basis, now if I could start listing things and getting rid of them like you , my wife would be very happy
If I could only list as much as I buy, I'd be happy. It comes in quicker than it goes out. But eventually..

* Drools * If that Odyssey still has the MFG card in it, check the date. If it is a 1972 run 1 and is complete in the box, you have a $200-400 system.
Good to know. I was figuring $50-$100 on a bad day.

In all fairness to the hoarder:

I worked with a historical preservation group who bought a bank repo house. We had seen the house months prior, and each room had boxes of stuff and junk stacked neatly. Months later, after the thieves had broken in and sorted through the boxes, and the house was a total and complete disaster. The thieves dumped each and every box, scattering the contents into huge piles strewn throughout the house.

The entire house looked exactly like the pictures that Dig posted, except there were no finds, just old clothes, old blankets, stained Tupperware, etc.
The son told us that when he first walked into the place, he couldn't walk through it. He has already filled 2- 30 yd. roll-offs from stuff in the yard alone. But it does appear that all the furniture drawers were emptied and strewn all over. It may have been a little more "organized" (for lack of a better term) but it had to still be stacked neck deep. The thieves stole the "quick cash" items, jewelry, cash, guns, and such. This house has been sitting vacant since 2009 when his dad passed. It's in a part of town that was once a middle class family neighborhood, now (last 20 years or so) a neighborhood plagued with dope and hookers and up to no gooders. Kind of typical for many of the neighborhoods in Carol City and Opa Locka.

By the way- this was a private sale that I was let into by a friend of mine who is in the estate sale business. So it was only him and us in there. It wasn't something that was advertised or anything. I would have stayed longer but I had to leave because I was finishing a job that day. I hope he calls this weekend, I know there are more things to rescue from that pit.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
To bad about being broke into but in a neighborhood like that its not surprising. Hopefully the son can get something from the sale of the home...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions