diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently had a listing removed because it was violating their rules supposedly. Even though I have sold one prior. There were about 10 other similar listings on there when they did this. I (being po'd at the time) reported every one of them. Not a single one was removed, including some that were very blatant in their description. Here is the notice that ebay sent me after removing mine-

You recently listed the following listing:

281086491027 - Nickel Xythos Automatic Revolver Mini Keychain Cap Gun w/ Caps, Case Gold Accent

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

You have listed a pin fire gun. Although pin fire guns are very small, many are able to shoot projectiles. For that reason these are specifically prohibited on eBay regardless of the size, age, designation or current ability to fire. Please do not relist this item.

The following link illustrates various models of pinfire guns available:

http://www.pinfireguns.com/

Due to laws and regulations, the sale of most weapons (including firearms) isn't allowed. These restrictions also apply to items that can shoot a projectile.

Examples of items that may not be listed on eBay include:

- Firearms (including antiques or collectibles)
- Black powder or muzzle-loader guns
- Flare guns
- Nail guns
- Pneumatic spear guns
- Potato launchers
- Sport guns
- Toy cannons

Certain types of weapons and related items may be listed. However, sellers must follow our guidelines, as well as meet the following requirements:

- The item is listed only on the eBay U.S. website
- The item, seller and buyer are located within the U.S.
- The listing offers only domestic shipping and the item is shipped only within the U.S. International shipping isn't allowed because it would make restricted items available to people in countries where these items may be prohibited.

To learn more about our firearms and weapons policy and guidelines, go to:

Firearms, weapons, and knives policy

All fees related to this listing have been credited to your account. We also notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

You can review our list of prohibited and restricted items here:
Prohibited and restricted items ? overview

If you have any more questions, contact our policy experts. Get started by clicking the link below.
Online Customer Support

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

I was very clear in the listing that the "gun" was a toy, not a firearm or a weapon as defined by the U.S. Gov. and does not and never could be made to fire a projectile. I also stated that the barrel was capped with an orange plug.
My question is, Was this an automatic removal done by a robot or was it reported by someone or is there anyway to know? It was removed on the 4th day of the auction.
It had 25 watchers and just as many bids almost. The last time I had something pulled, I had 4 people contact me wanting to purchase off ebay, which I did, sorry ebay your loss. This time no such luck, yet. I'm thinking of relisting it for a 24 hour auction, you think they will do anything other than pull it again if I did?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly suspend your account since they asked you not to relist it.

Happy Hunting!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you relist, change the title and description. I would try it.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thing happened to me recently. I listed 4 E lmer Keith , " Gun " books, Books mind you, and they wouldn't allow them, said they were gun related.....DUH! Tried relisting once, unucessfully, and still have them. I'll sell them somewhere where they are appreciated.:skullflag:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Maybe it's time for a different site than ebay. Seems common sense has left the building!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thing happened to me recently. I listed 4 E lmer Keith , " Gun " books, Books mind you, and they wouldn't allow them, said they were gun related.....DUH! Tried relisting once, unucessfully, and still have them. I'll sell them somewhere where they are appreciated.:skullflag:
It's stuff like this that makes me think it is not a real person doing it rather a bot program doing it.

I listed the item using the exact title and almost exact description as one that had just recently sold, so.

I just looked at my "policy compliance" summary and it is in the low range because of the FBI badge lucite paperweight that was pulled a couple months back. 2 strikes. I guess I better use the secondary account if I relist. Or wait the 3 months for it to clear off.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
In that case I would use the secondary account. Just get it sold! Quick and dirty listing...should be fun!

Awhile back Glen Beck listed "Obama in Pee Pee" (a pickle jar filled with apple juice and a Obama figure glued to the floor of the jar) Ebay pulled the listing and wrote Beck a nasty letter. So he sold it somewhere else and as he promised all the money went to charity.

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a similar incedent with E-Buy and a Canadian site Kijiji ( a subsidary of E-Buy) I tried to list a 35mm camera and accessories , the list was flagged for removal on E-Buy and I could not even list on Kijiji because of a reference to the " Pistol- Grip " telephoto lens. once I removed the word " Pistol Grip " I was able to list. Methinks there is a " botchecker" in action.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering what happened to the listing.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I had a similar incedent with E-Buy and a Canadian site Kijiji ( a subsidary of E-Buy) I tried to list a 35mm camera and accessories , the list was flagged for removal on E-Buy and I could not even list on Kijiji because of a reference to the " Pistol- Grip " telephoto lens. once I removed the word " Pistol Grip " I was able to list. Methinks there is a " botchecker" in action.

Yup, I think your right. Bot in action. Change the wording and relist...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some watchdog groups and individuals that police auctions and flag them. I know this for a fact because it happens all too often on a coin collecting website that I am a member of.

Not sure if that is what is happening here or not but good luck.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What got you is most likely a key word, and possibly in combination with your shipping if you listed outside the US. Try relisting it exactly the same way, just don't submit, and there's a good chance a warning will come up. Then go back and change what you think the issue might be and keep doing it until you know longer get the warning. If you listed it outside the US the word revolver is probably what did it. BTW it was completely irrational to start reporting everyone else because you either made a mistake, or ebay was just being stupid. Why create a problem for someone else? I don't get that.

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
In that case I would use the secondary account. Just get it sold! Quick and dirty listing...should be fun!

Awhile back Glen Beck listed "Obama in Pee Pee" (a pickle jar filled with apple juice and a Obama figure glued to the floor of the jar) Ebay pulled the listing and wrote Beck a nasty letter. So he sold it somewhere else and as he promised all the money went to charity.

This is HILARIOUS! I never heard that!

eBay is a bunch of hypocrites. They'll take your money, screw over the seller any chance they get, and end your auctions with no human explanation.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eBay is a bunch of hypocrites. They'll take your money, screw over the seller any chance they get, and end your auctions with no human explanation.

yeah that's all ebay does. You have it completely figured out. :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Yeah you can google it. Someone was selling printed screenshots of the listing. I want to make my own Obama in pee pee for above the mantle. It is just very hard for me to purchase an Obama doll...LOL!

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
yeah that's all ebay does. You have it completely figured out. :laughing7:

If you've been selling on eBay for 15+ years like I have, then you'd know that although some of what I wrote was tongue in cheek, for the most part that's where it's been heading for years......

Sellers can't leave negative feedback, FEES have gone though the roof, scammers usually get protected by eBay/Paypal, etc......

I DO have eBay figured out - used to make a LIVING from it

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've been selling on eBay for 15+ years like I have, then you'd know that although some of what I wrote was tongue in cheek, for the most part that's where it's been heading for years......

Sellers can't leave negative feedback, FEES have gone though the roof, scammers usually get protected by eBay/Paypal, etc......

I DO have eBay figured out - used to make a LIVING from it

Sellers not being able to leave negative feedback didn't change much, and I thought it would at the time, but the fact is it didn't.

Not sure what you used to sell, but I quite easily handle the 10% or 11% fee. I don't consider that through the roof.

Don't see how ebay and paypal protects scammers. The guidelines are pretty simple for most cases, unless you talk about having someone return something, and that's not exactly fraud.

You USED to to make a living at it, where as I CURRENTLY do, with MANY thousands of transactions. So there's nothing you need to tell me, and quite frankly probably isn't anything you could.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What got you is most likely a key word, and possibly in combination with your shipping if you listed outside the US. Try relisting it exactly the same way, just don't submit, and there's a good chance a warning will come up. Then go back and change what you think the issue might be and keep doing it until you know longer get the warning. If you listed it outside the US the word revolver is probably what did it. BTW it was completely irrational to start reporting everyone else because you either made a mistake, or ebay was just being stupid. Why create a problem for someone else? I don't get that.
This isn't my first go around with these cap guns. I've sold one before, had it removed twice by using advance listing times, before it didn't get pulled. Third time, no problems. It was only listed in the U.S., so that had nothing to do with it. As far as being irrational by attempting to cause problems for other sellers... maybe so, but who cares. I'm sick of being Mr. Nice Guy. Why should some other schmuck get to sell their (exact same) item when I can't. Obviously it did no good anyway, since not a single one was removed. Every single listing contains many of the same words and/or combinations of the same words, so I don't get it.

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
Sellers not being able to leave negative feedback didn't change much, and I thought it would at the time, but the fact is it didn't.

Not sure what you used to sell, but I quite easily handle the 10% or 11% fee. I don't consider that through the roof.

Don't see how ebay and paypal protects scammers. The guidelines are pretty simple for most cases, unless you talk about having someone return something, and that's not exactly fraud.

You USED to to make a living at it, where as I CURRENTLY do, with MANY thousands of transactions. So there's nothing you need to tell me, and quite frankly probably isn't anything you could.

Not going tit for tat with you. I sold very high end stuff, so 10% is a TON of loot to give eBay. If you're selling $5 trinkets, who cares?

Agree to disagree, but don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't my first go around with these cap guns. I've sold one before, had it removed twice by using advance listing times, before it didn't get pulled. Third time, no problems. It was only listed in the U.S., so that had nothing to do with it. As far as being irrational by attempting to cause problems for other sellers... maybe so, but who cares. I'm sick of being Mr. Nice Guy. Why should some other schmuck get to sell their (exact same) item when I can't. Obviously it did no good anyway, since not a single one was removed. Every single listing contains many of the same words and/or combinations of the same words, so I don't get it.

If such a little thing upsets you to such a degree, then Ebay is probably not the place to sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions