diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a few good things this week. Nothing crazy good but it'll do. I think the best find for the money was this Mattel Injector toy from 1968. It came with the full set of "Western World" plates and about 50 more from other Mattel injector sets as well as a bag of the plastic pellets and other assorted parts. The best part is, it was a whopping $1. The guys wife got mad when she found out what he sold it to me for. Here it is-

DSC03515.jpg DSC03514.jpg

I found a bunch of perfumes and a cologne or two also. Paid a total of $22 for all of them at 2 different sales.

DSC03517.jpg

Next is an ashtray which I don't usually buy unless it's unique, since I quit smoking more than 6 years ago (or was it 7?). Anyway, I haven't id'd it yet and it is unique. I believe it's Murano or Venetian just based on the design of it. It's cased glass with gold flecks and a gold rim. For a dollar, I was a must have.

DSC03523.jpg DSC03522.jpg

I found a nice looking costume bracelet and clip on earrings. They aren't marked but they look old and quality, nothing plastic. I took a gamble at $2, lol. Anybody offer any info. on them, age maybe, or anything else?

DSC03510.jpg DSC03511.jpg

Here is a hand blown Murano Carlos Moretti cased glass Taupe pitcher. Paid $3. I haven't found another one yet to put a value on it. I know the glasses are expensive so...

DSC03427.jpg DSC03429.jpg

One more notable find was this early bottle opener/cork screw, pat. 1906 with sterling bolster and stag horn handle. The corkscrew screws into the handle. This is the 2nd one of these I have found over the years. Paid .50 for this one-

DSC03383.jpg

Other finds not pictured are the full set of 6 Hazel Atlas child's alphabet milk glass mugs. I paid $20 for these and two extra ones at an estate sale. I found the remaining 8 Burger King Star Wars glasses that I needed to complete the entire series. There were 3 sets of 4 glasses released, '77 Star Wars, '80 Empire Strikes Back and '83 Return of the Jedi. I had the 1st 4 original Star Wars ones. Paid $1 for each glass. Also bought a 2003 American Silver Eagle for $20. I'll post some more after tomorrows finds.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, as usual. It was beautiful today and there seemed to be yard sales on every few blocks, but I was driving with a friend who was in a hurry, so I only went to one today. Sigh, I'll have to wait until I can go out on my own.

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I want to shop where *you* shop. :) The lovely ashtray is Bohemian glass, and the fab jewelry demi may be Juliana (DeLizza & Elster), however, I would need to see the backs to either confirm it or discount it.

Nice finds.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I want to shop where *you* shop. :) The lovely ashtray is Bohemian glass, and the fab jewelry demi may be Juliana (DeLizza & Elster), however, I would need to see the backs to either confirm it or discount it.

Nice finds.
Your right and I should have known that was Bohemian just from the shape of it. I'm used to seeing so much Murano with gold flecks that I forgot about the cased Bohemian stuff, that explains the enameling too. Been a long day I guess. The ashtray and the bracelet came from the same house. The lady said the stuff was her grandmother's who was in her 90's when she died. She was Hungarian. Here is the back of the bracelet -

DSC03524.jpg

Last edited:

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you guys find all these fantastic items? All I find is baby clothes and items they couldn't pay me to haul away. I'm being serious. Can't remember the last sale where I found anything interesting. CaptZero finds real art. I find paint by number pictures. Sheeze! Can't catch a break.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that corkscrew Diggummup. Great find!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you guys find all these fantastic items? All I find is baby clothes and items they couldn't pay me to haul away. I'm being serious. Can't remember the last sale where I found anything interesting. CaptZero finds real art. I find paint by number pictures. Sheeze! Can't catch a break.
Some of those paint by numbers are worth a good penny or two. I'm always looking for a good one- paint by number | eBay

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! Diggummup, Maybe I'm wasting my time looking for fine art.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013

I say that too sometimes but I tried a different area that I thought would be horrible today and it turned into a great day. I stopped after 5 houses I was broke. And this was one of the poorest parts of town. I do better there then the rich areas. Hate when you go to this million dollar home and they want $40 for a toaster and say I spent $xxx.xx on that 10 Years ago and used it once!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say that too sometimes but I tried a different area that I thought would be horrible today and it turned into a great day. I stopped after 5 houses I was broke. And this was one of the poorest parts of town. I do better there then the rich areas. Hate when you go to this million dollar home and they want $40 for a toaster and say I spent $xxx.xx on that 10 Years ago and used it once!
Shhh! quiet. Don't let the cat out of the bag. :laughing9: Actually, I have found good stuff in all types of settings, from darn near straight ghetto to multi million dollar homes. It's all hit and miss. I walk away empty handed from most sales.

Last edited:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, at most sales I find nothing. It's definitely a numbers game and the early bird does get the worm. And there doesn't seem to be a strong corelation between the value of the finds and the affluence of the neighborhoods I find them in. Estate sales seem to be a better location for art while community garage sales seem better for jewelry, collectables, and watches. I have found my best finds at family run estate sales though. It also helps to be friendly with the people running the sales and ask them for specific items they may have overlooked putting out in their sales. Knowledge, though, is the deciding factor. For example, I would have walked right past a vintage paint by number picture and not given it a second thought.

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for showing the back Diggummup. It's a little far away and so hard for me to see the details, however I did expect to see a five link construction, but perhaps the design does not support this. I do see some riveting and solder puddling, and so it still might be Juliana (how's that for an ambiguous answer, lol ;) ).

If you'd still like to investigate it further, I would be happy to help. And so here are my questions.... does it appear as if it had a safety chain at one point (e.g. a side bale with missing chain?). What does the back of the earring look like (would need a close-up), and what does the "top" or front of the fold over clasp look like (close-up is also needed).

Either way, it's a lovely and lavish set -- I see wonderful opaline glass, lacy filigree trim, and all stones and pearls appear to be intact, so excellent score.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooohhh, you got plates and Mattell mold injection thingy!!!!!!
I am jealous! I had a similar toy growing up, but it had a hot plate like thing you would lower the plate on to and cook the solution.
My plates made bugs, flowers, other things I can't remember. It's in the attic at the house in Ga, now. Maybe I'll see it in TEN YEARS or so!
That is really cool, I LOVED that toy, it was one of my favorites!

Glad I got a few paint by number sets up there, too! :laughing7:
I never knew that got that much, in fact, I know a friend got some laying around her garage right now!
Maybe I go see her in little while! :laughing7:

You always do well diggummup! Good for you and I am glad for you!
If you wanna get rid of some of them smaller plates, let me know. May give me a reason to go get mine out of the attic and start creating things again! I'm such a big kid!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for showing the back Diggummup. It's a little far away and so hard for me to see the details, however I did expect to see a five link construction, but perhaps the design does not support this. I do see some riveting and solder puddling, and so it still might be Juliana (how's that for an ambiguous answer, lol ;) ).

If you'd still like to investigate it further, I would be happy to help. And so here are my questions.... does it appear as if it had a safety chain at one point (e.g. a side bale with missing chain?). What does the back of the earring look like (would need a close-up), and what does the "top" or front of the fold over clasp look like (close-up is also needed).

Either way, it's a lovely and lavish set -- I see wonderful opaline glass, lacy filigree trim, and all stones and pearls appear to be intact, so excellent score.
I broke the stupid thing. If you'll notice the pearl on the right hand lower side is/was bent, now it's broken off. Oh well. If it's not more than $10, I may get it fixed. I have a Panetta brooch that did the same thing.

Ooohhh, you got plates and Mattell mold injection thingy!!!!!!
I am jealous! I had a similar toy growing up, but it had a hot plate like thing you would lower the plate on to and cook the solution.
My plates made bugs, flowers, other things I can't remember. It's in the attic at the house in Ga, now. Maybe I'll see it in TEN YEARS or so!
That is really cool, I LOVED that toy, it was one of my favorites!

Glad I got a few paint by number sets up there, too! :laughing7:
I never knew that got that much, in fact, I know a friend got some laying around her garage right now!
Maybe I go see her in little while! :laughing7:

You always do well diggummup! Good for you and I am glad for you!
If you wanna get rid of some of them smaller plates, let me know. May give me a reason to go get mine out of the attic and start creating things again! I'm such a big kid!
Thanks and there is nothing wrong with being a big kid, it's what keeps us young at heart. I have figured out tthat besides the western world set, I have the complete creepy crawlies, fright factory, zoofie goofies, and picadoos, plus the Batman single, Shrunken head 2 part single, and partials from flowers, mini dragons, and the dollmaker. Plus 8 round aluminum ones from the incredible edibles set. I'll be listing them sometime this next month.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread