Help with Porcelain Dolls

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a garage sale when he was bunching stuff and closing down. There was a box of porcelain dolls that he said were his x-wifes. The dolls are supposedly high dollar collector dolls, so I bought the box for $5. I have no idea how many are in there, or even what they are, I know nothing about collecting dolls, but I do know that some can be quite expensive. I haven't looked in the box yet so don't even know how many I bought. I can see three on top and there are more below. So this morning I checked and on ebay, and prices vary tremendously, with very very few dolls having any bids, and those bids are like .99 cents or so. I looked on Etsy, and the prices vary but run in the neighborhood of $24 to $50, with one doll priced and $2,500. I can't go wrong on my purchase because I have a grand daughter I can give them to, and she'll probably get at least one anyhow. Any information on porcelain dolls would be very much appreciated. I see all the different prices, how are those arrived at? What makes one doll better than the other? I know absolutely nothing about dolls, so any help you can offer is much appreciated. Thanks B.jpg One blue and one pink, next picture is of back of neck of left hand one. A.jpg The next several photos are just as they came out of the box. I took pictures of the back of the neck of one more, and one other has no markings, I didn't look at the rest.
C.jpg D.jpg E.jpg F.jpg G.jpg H.jpg I.jpg J.jpg K.jpg L.jpg

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't know much about dolls. I do know some doll clothes can be worth a good bit. A friend sells ebay items on consignment & we swap stories. He got what appeared to be an older porcelain doll & listed it even though the doll looked to be a common type that should sell somewhere between $25-50. It ended up selling for over $500. The buyer told him the doll wasn't worth anything but that the dress was rare.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics would definitely help. I don't know much about porcelain dolls but I do know that some of the better (more collectible value) ones are marked on the back of the head sometimes. Makers mark or mold numbers. The lack of a mark doesn't mean that it isn't old or collectible though. Also check the construction of the clothing itself. A black light test will reveal newer types of thread and fabric. Velcro and those little snap & pop closures (not sure what they are called) are signs of a newer less valuable doll. Heres a little article and ebay info on them- Antique China and Porcelain Dolls - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I added the pictures. Don't know how to indicate that in the title though, short of starting over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread