Mysterious and strange little sterling owl statue.

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During this weekends silver hunt I came across a peculiar little sterling owl stature for $5 at an estate sale. The lady had a huge collection of little owl figurines mostly made of brass, pewter and porcelain each for $5 and I found this guy mixed in the bunch. I think I got lucky because this sale was absolutely packed it was shoulder to shoulder and the checkout line took about half an hour. Anyways I've had some mysterious pieces before but this takes the cake for me. There seems to be no history on this owl I can't find ANYTHING not even a hint. Its stamped "STERLING ISRAEL" and it appears that Israel does not manufacture much silver, at all, and nothing like this. I have tested it and it is in fact sterling. My usual website of knowledge simply has "more information needed" under the Israel section for hallmarks. Guide to World Hallmarks - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks and google and ebay are reveling no secrets either. There is a sticker on the bottom of the owl that says "Silver Star" it looks like its the brand of where ever it came from and I've been focusing my searches on that but I can't find any company/brand or any history on that either. This thing has me officially beat.
But, without further ado, here he is in all its creepy glory.
1NbZvSL.png

i9HsQN0.png

SOiSzJ0.png

F4oVMoL.jpg

This is the first time I've found silver with a felt bottom. Maybe its not weighted?
NEqdZHi.jpg

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like it not creepy at all i do not think

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like it not creepy at all i do not think
Tell me that after its been staring at you from across the room all night haha. But, I do like it I'm saying creepy with love.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think its a good find id keep it

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool! If I bought that I would glue some ruby gemstones into the eye pupils... just for added effect.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rs-rons-shop is selling a silver owl on ebay,he is in israel maybe he will know something

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rs-rons-shop is selling a silver owl on ebay,he is in israel maybe he will know something
Thanks! Great lead. Some of what he is selling does have a similar look! There are some differences in the stamp and base of his statues so I'll shoot him an email hopefully he can help me out.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was wondering if you found anything out about it,yours seems too old for rs rons shop to have made it,i think it has an art deco look too it.

joshua2

Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice sterling find even if it turns out not to be a collector item

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was wondering if you found anything out about it,yours seems too old for rs rons shop to have made it,i think it has an art deco look too it.
I haven't got a response yet unfortunately. I did notice though that his statues are marked with a "925" stamp rather than a "sterling" stamp and his don't include a Israel stamp. I believe mine is a bit older based on that and that deep patina on the silver. Thanks again for the lead Jamey I'm not done pursuing it yet!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: ill keep looking,thought about typing in silver star in israel in the 20"s 30"s 40"s till i hit something,

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During this weekends silver hunt I came across a peculiar little sterling owl stature for $5 at an estate sale. The lady had a huge collection of little owl figurines mostly made of brass, pewter and porcelain each for $5 and I found this guy mixed in the bunch. I think I got lucky because this sale was absolutely packed it was shoulder to shoulder and the checkout line took about half an hour. Anyways I've had some mysterious pieces before but this takes the cake for me. There seems to be no history on this owl I can't find ANYTHING not even a hint. Its stamped "STERLING ISRAEL" and it appears that Israel does not manufacture much silver, at all, and nothing like this. I have tested it and it is in fact sterling. My usual website of knowledge simply has "more information needed" under the Israel section for hallmarks. Guide to World Hallmarks - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks and google and ebay are reveling no secrets either. There is a sticker on the bottom of the owl that says "Silver Star" it looks like its the brand of where ever it came from and I've been focusing my searches on that but I can't find any company/brand or any history on that either. This thing has me officially beat.
But, without further ado, here he is in all its creepy glory.
1NbZvSL.png

i9HsQN0.png

SOiSzJ0.png

F4oVMoL.jpg

This is the first time I've found silver with a felt bottom. Maybe its not weighted?
NEqdZHi.jpg

Check out "Illuminati" or "Masons". Both use the owl as symbolism.....

SILENTHAWK72

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! You could remove the felt then reattach with gorilla glue after you determine if its weighted or not weighted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread