Finding Yard/Garage/Estate Sales

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I'm posting here with a pretty big question for you all, and I'm hoping to incite a little discussion. I'm fairly new to this forum, but it has proved extremely helpful to have a bunch of people more experienced than I here to show off their finds and share their knowledge. Now, the question: How do you all find your Yard Sales, Garage Sales, Auctions, Estate Sales, etc?

I am mostly a thrift store hunter, which can be difficult but I've managed to make a fairly steady stream of money from it. I'm originally from Vermont, so my idea of yardsaleing is driving somewhere on Saturday and hoping to spot a sale or two, usually involving some crazy sign maze. A lot of people don't use the internet there, so there aren't really any online postings, and I would have to drive 30 miles between sales if I were to make a day of it. It seems most people on this forum actually go yardsaleing, which is something I have no idea how to do, but I would love to learn!

Now I'm in maryland, which has tons of people, suburbs, massive residential neighborhoods, etc. Basically yard sale heaven. The problem is, I have no Idea how to find them. I've tried craigslist, but the postings are from such a variety of places that it seems really hard to map out a cohesive rout. In terms of Estate sales, I am totally clueless. I'm sure there are a few others who read this forum who have similar problems.

So how do you all do it? I'm not looking for any crazy trade secrets or anything, just a basic idea of how to plan a successful yard/estate sale day. I've had a great time at thrifts, but I'd love to take it to the next level with yard sales. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Internet, Craigslist, Garage Sale Rover app, my eyeballs

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Our local small town newspaper is still the go-to source for garage sales.

The other thing that I do is network with other garage sale people, whether they are having a sale or if they are out shopping the sales. The trick is to weed out the opinions and worthless talk. Quite often, I hear "Its mostly junk" or "I didn't find anything". Those are just opinions, and I am looking for nearby sale locations, so I weed those opinions out.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing someone could possibly mention that would keep me from a sale is "baby clothes"

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The only thing someone could possibly mention that would keep me from a sale is "baby clothes"

Overall, I would tend to agree with that, but, at the same time, those are the same people at that 'baby clothes' sale who will walk by a stack of OEM factory Cadillac wheels and tires that were brand new take-offs last summer for $35 each.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Community newspapers, larger newspapers, store bulletin boards(especially groceries), sign postings, ask at one yard sale where others are taking place. As for auctions, yellow pages, newspapers and especially antique stores. Just ask people. Good luck...

Don't Blink

Apr 17, 2013
Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Estatesales.net.
I find an estate seller that I like and that prices items well and they usually have their own website with more pictures. I've seen sales in my area posted up to a month in advance with pictures of items. (That way I can plan out trips or stop by while on vacation too.)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, here is what you do:

Start small and build up your "turf". Start on CL and literally write out a list of the sales in a few different neighborhoods. Sort by location and time. Go to the area in question and just drive around. Stick to the main roads, especially if they lead to neighborhoods. Look for signs and FOLLOW THEM ALL. Also, always go to "town wide" sales!

Next week try this in a different area. Keep track of the results like "went to 4 addresses, followed 5 signs". Eventually you can start going to these same areas every week and you will have a route that you willbe familiar with. In highly populated areas, this tactic has worked very well for me.

You can always hit thrift stores on the way home. Good luck.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overall, I would tend to agree with that, but, at the same time, those are the same people at that 'baby clothes' sale who will walk by a stack of OEM factory Cadillac wheels and tires that were brand new take-offs last summer for $35 each.

I was generalizing, I know what I'm doing, thanks

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of what Ben said. You have to know your area/s to begin with. That way you can map out a strategic plan of attack. As far as fing the sales, me personally, I check CL, the local Newspapers (online), "the Flyer" (a local mailed rag) and Estatesales.net..

I have never used this site because I know my area very well, but it may help you out some as far as planning your route- Yard Sale Treasure Map - A Yard Sale Planning Tool

Last edited:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research is great when it comes to finding yard sales, garage sales, tag sales or whatever they're called in your neck of the woods but when it comes to making great finds, a big piece of the puzzle is to forget the research, forget the list, get into your vehicle or get on your bike and ride or drive around. Many of the great finds are from older folks who just want to sell off their things and make a few bucks... They draw up a sign and nail it up on the street corner... A lot of them can't be bothered with putting an ad in the classifieds and even more of them don't have computers or have a clue about how to use craigslist. Some of the best sales are found this way.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not afraid to tell a big trade secret for a newcomer. What the big-hitters do is drive around neighborhoods at around 7:00 am and look for people placing their signs on street corners.

As soon as the poster drives off take their sign and throw it in the trunk of your car. Then go to the sale and have the place to yourself! Be courteous, put the sign back when your
on your way to the next address listed in your trunk.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not afraid to tell a big trade secret for a newcomer. What the big-hitters do is drive around neighborhoods at around 7:00 am and look for people placing their signs on street corners.

As soon as the poster drives off take their sign and throw it in the trunk of your car. Then go to the sale and have the place to yourself! Be courteous, put the sign back when your
on your way to the next address listed in your trunk.

C'mon, man... That is far from being a "Trade Secret"... All that is, is bad form.. plain and simple.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon, man... That is far from being a "Trade Secret"... All that is, is bad form.. plain and simple.
Fully in jest. I take down old signs in my area when they are outdated and weathered, cut off the old tape so new signs can be readily followed.

I hate following signs to a foreclosed home with a sale that was 3 weeks past...recycled signs of a familiar address
are frequently last choice visits also.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't have a smart phone, get one! Garage Sale Rover integrates local newspapers, Craigslist, and other web sites. It puts the Garage sales, Estate Sales, and Neighborhood sales on a googlemap and allows you to easily get directions from one sale to the next. Very hard to beat. Yard sale mapper is similar. Some think it is better. Some think it worse.

Good luck.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Hey Baltimore there's enough stuff in town for both of us, so I'll try not to consider us competitors. You've already gotten the two best tips - YardSaleTreasureMap and EstateSales.net. After that you'll have to start getting familiar with your local neighborhoods - which ones have the college kids, which ones are just plain poor (and thus tough pickings), which are old neighborhoods (old houses have old stuff), the rich neighborhoods, the hipsters (my neighborhood Hampden, for example), etc.
I'll never know how much giving this tip will cost me, but here goes . . . locate the Jewish neighborhood. You'll find the best Sunday yard sales there. Leave any preconceptions and prejudices at home.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Ok, here is what you do:

Start small and build up your "turf". Start on CL and literally write out a list of the sales in a few different neighborhoods. Sort by location and time. Go to the area in question and just drive around. Stick to the main roads, especially if they lead to neighborhoods. Look for signs and FOLLOW THEM ALL. Also, always go to "town wide" sales!

Next week try this in a different area. Keep track of the results like "went to 4 addresses, followed 5 signs". Eventually you can start going to these same areas every week and you will have a route that you willbe familiar with. In highly populated areas, this tactic has worked very well for me.

You can always hit thrift stores on the way home. Good luck.

Simple and excellent advice! In my experience, half of the yard sales I go to were not on my list. I was going to the next one on the list and I saw a sign on the way for this other one. And yes, top off the day with a thrift store or two.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple and excellent advice! In my experience, half of the yard sales I go to were not on my list. I was going to the next one on the list and I saw a sign on the way for this other one. And yes, top off the day with a thrift store or two.

This. 9 times out of 10, following signs is the better bet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread