Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WINTERBEAR
  • 1 Post By WINTERBEAR

Thread: Thrift store silver spoon

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    eastern Wa
    35 times
    Prospecting

Thrift store silver spoon

2 5/8 oz sterling beauty marked @ $.59 I was pretty happy and was worth my time to dig through the 100 or so plated pieces to find the real deal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3997046595.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	482.3 KB 
ID:	826060

Chris
    Silver Worm likes this.

um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2677 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Always worth digging through the flatware bins at the thrifts. Ha paid off more than once for me too. Congrats. Who is the maker?
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    Garrett AT Pro
    2960 times
    Nice buy WINTERBEAR. Thanks for sharing...

..: What Pennsylvania County Do You Live In? :..

..: What Florida County Do You Live In? :..

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

us
    Sep 2012
    eastern Wa
    35 times
    Prospecting
    Reed and Barton sterling is how it is marked. Thanks for looking and sharing my finds. Chris
    diggummup likes this.

Aug 2005
    Nevada
    XLT, GM3, GM4b
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WINTERBEAR View Post
    Reed and Barton sterling is how it is marked. Thanks for looking and sharing my finds. Chris
    I have always wondered how you confirm its silver
    I used to always see guys w/ loupes at the garage sales and flea market.
    I saw some silver bowl and had a go at it for $10, It was a $10 lesson,lol.
    Now i know a lil better, What some plate looks like and "ESP" but the same day after talking to a guy i was some silverware and there was an odd kids spoon in it with an "S" inside a square. The lady said all was plated but this wasnt part of the set and gave it to me for free, i thought i made up for the $10 bowl. When i looked it up on ebay i think is was plate. I want to get a loupe and learn more.

us
    Jun 2013
    Colorado
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    I have always wondered how you confirm its silver
    I used to always see guys w/ loupes at the garage sales and flea market.
    I saw some silver bowl and had a go at it for $10, It was a $10 lesson,lol.
    Now i know a lil better, What some plate looks like and "ESP" but the same day after talking to a guy i was some silverware and there was an odd kids spoon in it with an "S" inside a square. The lady said all was plated but this wasnt part of the set and gave it to me for free, i thought i made up for the $10 bowl. When i looked it up on ebay i think is was plate. I want to get a loupe and learn more.
    I recommend starting with the basics. Begin by ONLY buying silver items stamped with either "925" or the exact word "sterling". Look them over good they legally HAVE to be stamped it with one of those if it is solid silver and those stamps can be found in all sorts of places on different pieces. This is pretty safe method and its the key to starting out. If it does not have either the "925" or "sterling" stamp don't gamble on it or you WILL loose money. There are a lot of convincing silver plated items out there trust me. Don't get excited by fancy hallmarks and don't buy something just because it has hallmarks until you know what they mean absolutely specifically...can't stress that enough. You wont find stuff on every outing but using this basic rule should eventually get you some good deals and it will eliminate gambling on silver plated stuff.

Getting more advanced than this takes a little study and memorizing the meanings of hallmarks but once you lay it out its not too hard. Heres a head start....its a pictorial guide to solid silver marks from every country in the world (note theres more than one page on the website so be sure to flip through)

Guide to World Hallmarks - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

There are a TON of markings for solid silver throughout the world but I see you live in the US so I would start with familiarizing yourself with a few certain foreign marks (in order these are the countries I've found the most silver from but this is just my personal experience).
    1. English British Sterling - English Hallmarks, Irish Hallmarks & Scottish Hallmarks <-------Most important by far
    2. Mexican Mexican Silver Marks Menu - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
    3. French French Hallmarks - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
    4. Norway Norway Maker's Marks I - at 925-1000.com

Sponsors