Thrift store silver spoon

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2 5/8 oz sterling beauty marked @ $.59 I was pretty happy and was worth my time to dig through the 100 or so plated pieces to find the real deal.

image-3997046595.jpg

Chris

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always worth digging through the flatware bins at the thrifts. Ha paid off more than once for me too. Congrats. Who is the maker?

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed and Barton sterling is how it is marked. Thanks for looking and sharing my finds. Chris

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Reed and Barton sterling is how it is marked. Thanks for looking and sharing my finds. Chris
I have always wondered how you confirm its silver???
I used to always see guys w/ loupes at the garage sales and flea market.
I saw some silver bowl and had a go at it for $10, It was a $10 lesson,lol.
Now i know a lil better, What some plate looks like and "ESP" but the same day after talking to a guy i was some silverware and there was an odd kids spoon in it with an "S" inside a square. The lady said all was plated but this wasnt part of the set and gave it to me for free, i thought i made up for the $10 bowl:laughing7:. When i looked it up on ebay i think is was plate. I want to get a loupe and learn more.

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wondered how you confirm its silver???
I used to always see guys w/ loupes at the garage sales and flea market.
I saw some silver bowl and had a go at it for $10, It was a $10 lesson,lol.
Now i know a lil better, What some plate looks like and "ESP" but the same day after talking to a guy i was some silverware and there was an odd kids spoon in it with an "S" inside a square. The lady said all was plated but this wasnt part of the set and gave it to me for free, i thought i made up for the $10 bowl:laughing7:. When i looked it up on ebay i think is was plate. I want to get a loupe and learn more.
I recommend starting with the basics. Begin by ONLY buying silver items stamped with either "925" or the exact word "sterling". Look them over good they legally HAVE to be stamped it with one of those if it is solid silver and those stamps can be found in all sorts of places on different pieces. This is pretty safe method and its the key to starting out. If it does not have either the "925" or "sterling" stamp don't gamble on it or you WILL loose money. There are a lot of convincing silver plated items out there trust me. Don't get excited by fancy hallmarks and don't buy something just because it has hallmarks until you know what they mean absolutely specifically...can't stress that enough. You wont find stuff on every outing but using this basic rule should eventually get you some good deals and it will eliminate gambling on silver plated stuff.

Getting more advanced than this takes a little study and memorizing the meanings of hallmarks but once you lay it out its not too hard. Heres a head start....its a pictorial guide to solid silver marks from every country in the world (note theres more than one page on the website so be sure to flip through)

Guide to World Hallmarks - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

There are a TON of markings for solid silver throughout the world but I see you live in the US so I would start with familiarizing yourself with a few certain foreign marks (in order these are the countries I've found the most silver from but this is just my personal experience).
1. English British Sterling - English Hallmarks, Irish Hallmarks & Scottish Hallmarks <-------Most important by far
2. Mexican Mexican Silver Marks Menu - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
3. French French Hallmarks - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
4. Norway Norway Maker's Marks I - at 925-1000.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread