1873 frederick douglass signature and picture

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I never buy this stuff. I never even see this stuff. But I jumped on this one spent $100. I hope it's real! This came from a friends house. I told him it needed to be authenticated before I would buy it. He's an older gentleman who has a lot of this history stuff. I told him the most I can give him was $100. He thought about it for a day or two call back and said that would be okay. A 1873 Frederick Douglass autographed card. Also in 1800s Frederick Douglass picture and Part of a fugitive slave act book from 1860. Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm going to send the signature off to PSA to get it authenticated. It will cost $150 to have it done.

image-2413192837.jpg

image-1269139531.jpg

image-1790466283.jpg

image-3240595079.jpg

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
This is the cover of the envelope. I'm going to call the company tomorrow I see that they're still in business.

image-3254221890.jpg

stlcardinalsfan

Jul 4, 2013
southeast missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
i am a historic preservation major and i have viewed several autographs from douglass. his autograph changed a little bit as he got older.....but judging yours i cant find any that look like it.....some similar but not close matches. most problems are with the f, and the s at the end....his s's usually flip the other way and his f's changed a little as well.

this looks almost too "fancy" for his writing. sending it to psa/dna is also kinda risky as just a couple of months ago they got into a little trouble with baseball authentication.

i hope it turns out to be real.

good luck

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
i am a historic preservation major and i have viewed several autographs from douglass. his autograph changed a little bit as he got older.....but judging yours i cant find any that look like it.....some similar but not close matches. most problems are with the f, and the s at the end....his s's usually flip the other way and his f's changed a little as well.

this looks almost too "fancy" for his writing. sending it to psa/dna is also kinda risky as just a couple of months ago they got into a little trouble with baseball authentication.

i hope it turns out to be real.

good luck

Any ideas where to send it to be authenticated?

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
No, there is nothing on the reverse. In the folder was a folder from Abraham Lincoln book shop. I contacted them and they wanted me to send them a scan of it and the lithograph. She said if it is real, there will be a coa headed to me in the mail on Tuesday next week. I'm glad I called them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions