First post and a find

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I picked this vase up at a local thrift shop for $15. It measures ~ 5 1/2" x 9 1/2" and marked Dedham Pottery initialed HCR .

Other examples of this type of pottery have sold at auction between $1300-$5500

665_0776.JPG

665_0772.JPG

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
very interesting, I am sure you looked this up but since I had no clue here is the markings section from wikipedia for others to learn as well
chris

1892-1895: C.P.U.S. (Chelsea Pottery U.S.) impressed inside a clover leaf.

1896-1928: Square blue stamp with DEDHAM POTTERY printed over a rabbit; impressed foreshortened rabbit beneath.

1929-1943: REGISTERED added under standard Dedham Pottery stamp; two impressed foreshortened rabbits beneath.

Rarely the decorator would add his initials, a date, or the initials of the purchaser but these instances were rare and therefor, for collecting purposes, valuable.

Maude Rose Davenport a very skilled decorator at Dedham Pottery between 1904-1928 signed her work with a rebus, a small 5mm circle in the border of her designs.

Hugh C. Robertson sometimes signed his decorations with a square.

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@WINTERBEAR, The marks for this piece are not the standard marks for Dedham commercial ware. This type of vase was experimental. Robertson from 1895 to his death in 1908, was experimenting with different glazes and these vases were never meant for sale to the public. The majority of them were part of the factories museum collection. When the company went belly up in 1943 the stock of experimental pottery was bought up as war surplus and retailed through Gimbles Department Store.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rare piece of New England pottery. Skinners is the best local for that piece. Congrats on that find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread