Finally Joined the Fan Club!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, hope you all have been doing well. Figured I'd post my finds from last week.

Yet again, I hadn't been planning on going anywhere. My girlfriend asked me to go and find a sheet somewhere for her to use as fabric for a project of hers. I had a few options, but I decided to go with the goodwill outlet store. This place is awesome, they sell everything by weight. So I went to the store, found a sheet, and that could have been the end. However, as you all know, it is pretty much impossible as a certified re-sale addict to just buy one thing and not look around. I wend out to the back lot behind the store where the unloading happens. The coolest part of this store is that they are literally taking the boxes out of trucks, right in front of you, and letting you dig through them. Total gems are frequently found, and today was no exception. As soon as I walk out, a forklift dumps a huge box in front of me, straight out of the trailer. Me and another guy start going through it, silently racing to find the best stuff. The guy reaches in and pulls out the small fan, pictured below. "oh look, antiques!" he said, and I cursed myself for not finding it first. He then turned to me and said "you want it?". I was in shock. I thought "There's no way, this never happens, your competition never just hands you the best item in the box!" Well, he did, and then moments later the second fan comes out, and into my hands. I was so happy! I grabbed the two vintage jansport frame packs, as well as some other good stuff, and my day was made. I ended up talking to the guy, turns out he re-sells pretty much exclusively sports equipment, so he didn't know or care about the fans. Ended up getting them for $3 and $5! At a goodwill!

DSC_1390.jpg DSC_1391.JPG DSC_1392.JPG DSC_1393.JPG DSC_1394.JPG DSC_1395.JPG DSC_1396.jpg DSC_1397.JPG DSC_1398.jpg

Brought them home, checked the voltage (110, thank goodness), and plugged them in! They both work beautifully, totally silent. Also, both sets of blades are non magnetic, does that mean they are brass? Anyways, I'm very excited, the big fan is from 1937, but I can't ID the little one. If anyone would like to help it would be very much appreciated. The bottom is made of Bakelite.

Happy Hunting all, good luck this weekend!

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fans ! Welcome to the club . I have a GE just like your big one . The blade on the big one is aluminum . Your little one is probably aluminum also .

Attachments

• ge 002.jpg
    ge 002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 71
  • ge 003.jpg
    ge 003.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have passed up several old fans recently (the last few months), I guess i'm gonna have to join the fan club before long myself, lol.

Well, from the ebay listings it seems that fans could be quite profitable! The little one is listed $140 with 9 watchers, and the big one sold for $170. I think the biggest hassle would be shipping them.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are quite heavy, but I haven't had any trouble selling all the ones I've found locally, usually with just a phone call or two. With just a bit of home handyman electrical knowledge, they are easy to rewire and paint. I keep hoping no one will want one so I can keep one for myself. Definitely rewire them before using them very much. The old wiring dries out and can be dangerous if it comes into contact with the base. Got the holy c**p knocked out of me the first one I had, sliding my hand down the cord to unplug it.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are quite heavy, but I haven't had any trouble selling all the ones I've found locally, usually with just a phone call or two. With just a bit of home handyman electrical knowledge, they are easy to rewire and paint. I keep hoping no one will want one so I can keep one for myself. Definitely rewire them before using them very much. The old wiring dries out and can be dangerous if it comes into contact with the base. Got the holy c**p knocked out of me the first one I had, sliding my hand down the cord to unplug it.

What kind of places do you call? Antique shops and such, or individual people that you know who buy fans?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Individuals who have seen my restored fans. I've got a backlog of about three more fans I've got to do before I can keep one. However, be advised, often when someone who has bought a fan shows someone else, I get another request.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice GE fans...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread